Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Scion tC CarPC Finally Completed, AMD inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by etsnet
Three fans and under the seat should be good living in Illinois. I'd setup the BIOS to turn the computer off at hight temps just to be safe (it should be set as default but check to make sure). You may also want to check out case modding sites to find some good blowing/low noise fans if the noise is a problem.
yeah, ill have motherboard monitor 5 watching my temps and will shutdown the cpu in extreame temps. Hopefully AMDs "cool-n-quiet" technology will be nice and cool.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Harmonic_tC
Originally Posted by etsnet
Three fans and under the seat should be good living in Illinois. I'd setup the BIOS to turn the computer off at hight temps just to be safe (it should be set as default but check to make sure). You may also want to check out case modding sites to find some good blowing/low noise fans if the noise is a problem.
yeah, ill have motherboard monitor 5 watching my temps and will shutdown the cpu in extreame temps. Hopefully AMDs "cool-n-quiet" technology will be nice and cool.
I think that the AM64's also have built in protection as well... it'll shutdown by itself when it gets too hot, but its good to have MBM as a "backup," so to speak
Old 08-25-2006, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just want to add an update here since its been awhile and ive had some time to let the carpc run for long periods of time.

well i have been running this system for awhile now and i havent had one problem. I have a 70 mil fan on the processor, a teeny fan on the power supply and 2 60 mil case fans for a push/pull effect. Everything works, even on the hottest days this summer!
Old 09-17-2006, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey everyone

Here are the pics of my new case. It fits perfectly under the seat on the passenger side.

And ill show off my second mortgage, lol yep thats 7.5 feet long, almost 3 feet deep and 4.7 feet tall toolbox AND FULL of tools, haha

Sorry for the poor quality pictures, they were taken form my phone
Old 10-07-2006, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

very nice, im a big computer guy so im deffinitely gonna look into putting a pc into my car now but dont worry i wont steal your blueprints ill just have to come up with my own way

but very nice, its coming along very well
Old 10-07-2006, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Buy my laptop yeah? Then you can turn it into a thin, silent, super fast carpc. Yeah?
Old 10-07-2006, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't have much expirence building pc's so I have a few questions:

How do you power it? do you just splice the cord and hook it up the the battery? Or is there a way to hook it up so it runs off the alternator while the car is running? Or am I missing something completely where you can just plugg it into a port already in are cars?

Second is there a place online where I could read and learn everything that is required to build a pc? Because I have been looking into doing this in my car instead of just a video system, but I have no idea how to build a pc!
Old 10-07-2006, 07:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can learn everything about carPCs here: www.mp3car.com
Old 10-11-2006, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Anyone do a Mac mini in a car yet? I was thinking about this the other day. I installed XP on a iMac for a customer the other day. I felt so dirty afterwards. I do have to say that XP started pretty fast plus it had the extra bonus of OS X on it for the video, pictures, and music programs. I can see putting the mini in the radio hole on the bottom (it has the slot load DVD burner) and a flip out touchscreen on the top. Of course you'd have to make some kind of face to cover the iMac but it might work.

BTW, I will be installing OS X on a windows intel based pc within the next coming weeks. I tried it on my AMD and almost got it to work but no go. I know it'll work on an intel so I'll be doing that.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cool