Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

time to change the subs

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nebster
just because they didn't break doesn't make them good.....
wow, you're right for once my own Personal Troll. What makes them good is the fact that the POUND, sound tight and clean, look great, are reasonably priced, have dual voice coils w/ single lug terminals so you can run a full strand of 8 gauge wire to each terminal, 120 oz strontium magnets, thick EPDM rubber surrounds, cast basket, aluminum cone for great combination of lightweight strength and response.... and thats just off the top of my head.

but your right, what makes them great is the way they sound. wise ___ punk troll. stop following me loser.

and btw, going out on a limb there and saying exige had the pressed paper cone (aka. CHEAPO) base level subs....probably because he's a cheap little kid. which would explain why you didn't like them.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Originally Posted by SePaTc
wow, you're right for once my own Personal Troll. What makes them good is the fact that the POUND, sound tight and clean, look great, are reasonably priced, have dual voice coils w/ single lug terminals so you can run a full strand of 8 gauge wire to each terminal, 120 oz strontium magnets, thick EPDM rubber surrounds, cast basket, aluminum cone for great combination of lightweight strength and response.... and thats just off the top of my head.

but your right, what makes them great is the way they sound. wise butt punk troll. stop following me loser.

and btw, going out on a limb there and saying exige had the pressed paper cone (aka. CHEAPO) base level subs....probably because he's a cheap little kid. which would explain why you didn't like them.
And you think your audiobahn is the end all subwoofer?
Old 12-19-2007, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

see you still have the wrong idea of watts....thats what i was trying to tell you in my first post.

you say that "to me is it too much power"....well, why? what makes you think it is too much? my point is...wattage does not dictate how loud a sub will be. there are so many other variables. the sensitivity of the driver is an example of a parameter that can dictate, to a certain amount, how loud a sub will be.

you have this ill-conceived notion that 1200 watts means it's gonna be pounding your ears with sound, while 600 watts will be nice and gentle for you. that's not the way it works though. a doubling of watts equates to a 3dB increase in volume. however, due to human perception, a doubling in volume that we hear is at 10dB. so what im saying is that by doubling the power, you will only notice a small increase in volume. reference the chart below:

subjective change objective change
much quieter.................. less than -10 dB
half as loud.................. -10 dB
quieter................... -5 dB
just perceptibly quieter.................. -3 dB
just perceptibly louder................. +3 dB
louder.................... +5 dB
twice as loud................. +10 dB
much louder................. more than +10 dB
Old 12-19-2007, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but your right, what makes them great is the way they sound. wise butt punk troll. stop following me loser.

believe me i'm not following just you..... at all.... i'm trying to set the community straight and start using quality parts
Old 12-19-2007, 01:43 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

Would this setup work?

Fi.Q 12" subwoofer
Alpine PDX 1.1000 amp
Street wires
Q-logic or Fisher customs sealed box measured around 1.35 cubic ft

Then with that setup, i would run the amp around 600 watts or lower or whatever.... I dont really know what to do with the amp settings, so if i do choose that setup, i would need help with the tuning of the amp.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why wouldn't it work. you can get a much better amp for your money but that would be a good setup. tuning wouldn't be hard because its a sealed box you'd just need to be worried about setting your gains.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

sorry i didnt see your post there before i posted this last one... so i would only be hearing around 85 db for the Fi Q? is that your point? the wattage does not matter....
Old 12-19-2007, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trialsindude

And you think your audiobahn is the end all subwoofer?
yup sure do! :D u stupid d-bag, where did i say that?? ROFL... if people are allowed to way overhype JL, then i'm certainly allowed to state my unbiased opinion of audiobahn subs. listen, i'm not here telling u to go get audiobahn component speakers or head units am I??? I'm run a LOT of different brands of subs in the 8 years since i built my first system, including but not limited to JL, RF, Infinity, MTX (another good one) Alpine, Pioneer, Digital Designs, Sony, Orion, etc....

All i ever said was that i would rate audiobahn subs just as highly, if not more son than all of those brands. Never said they were high-end competition subs.

u losers really need to get a life besides talking up your brands and flaming every other on SL......
Old 12-19-2007, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hahaha you'll be hearing a lot more than 85 db from the FiQ. It will be a great setup. what you'll need to do is figure out how much power you want to give it then just slowly turn the gain up on a 35 hz tone until you hear it distort. after you hear it distort you'll turn it down 10-15% from where it was then bam you're set and it will be plenty loud.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

believe me i'm not following just you..... at all.... i'm trying to set the community straight and start using quality parts
haha, first off, your are full of it. you absolutely do troll me. everyone knows it.

now that that matter is taken care of.....

so, i take it you think you are some kind of Audio Guru of SL, and that you know everything, and no one (especially someone you don't even know) could possibly know as much or more than you, and anyone who doesn't have the same opinion of you is wrong..... let me guess, you're a 19 year old suburban white kid from the midwest whose parents spoiled the hell out of you?? yes, i think so.

so let me just get this straight, what exactly are these "quality parts" you're "trying to get the community to use"??? lmao.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:58 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

So as in power you mean the amp power? So if i put a 600 or 800 watt amp on the Fi.Q, then slowly turn up the gain until i hear it distort, then turn it down 10 to 15% and it will be good?
Old 12-19-2007, 02:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

SEPA, IF YOU HAVE NOTHING GOOD TO CONTRIBUTE, THEN TAKE IT TO PM'S.

jesus f'ckin christ.

blacklist, stop worrying about watts. please. i beg of you. just dont wry about them. if you think the Q is for you, then get yourself a 1000-1200w amp and enjoy it. the total wattage will not have the huge effect on volume that you're imagining it will have.

the alpine pdx series are very nice amps. i also recommend sundown audio. sundown makes very solid amps that are very reliable. you can always go with something from eD if you like. just dont go with stuff like crunch, power acoustik, lanzar, pyle, or pyramid.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

you asked me about wires earlier and i forgot to get to that one. streetwires is fine. my personal recommendation though is www.knukonceptz.com. all their stuff is very high quality, prices are pretty darn good, and they've got just about anything you could want. that's all that i run...i know many other people that swear by it as well.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha, first off, your are full of it. you absolutely do troll me. everyone knows it.

now that that matter is taken care of.....

so, i take it you think you are some kind of Audio Guru of SL, and that you know everything, and no one (especially someone you don't even know) could possibly know as much or more than you, and anyone who doesn't have the same opinion of you is wrong..... let me guess, you're a 19 year old suburban white kid from the midwest whose parents spoiled the hell out of you?? yes, i think so.

so let me just get this straight, what exactly are these "quality parts" you're "trying to get the community to use"??? lmao.
i don't just troll you, i don't troll at all... and thats not true at all. i don't claim to know everything and never have but i do feel like i can guide people in the right direction. 19 yr old white suburban kid.... close.... i'm a 22 year old that lives in illinois that has a CAREER in the reliability and durability engineering area and my parents didn't spoil me at all, i've worked for everything i have
Old 12-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

I dont care what you guys do or if your spoiled or not... no one gives a ****... take to it pms... not on this... i dont want to hear your ****.... i made this post to learn more about subs not your life and all that...

But anyways... Exige i think i will go with the Fi Q, with KnuKonceptz wires, a fisher customs sealed box, and the Alpine PDX 1.1000 amp. Sorry if i am ____ing you off, but i have no idea what to do with this stuff...

Now that i have chosen the stuff, how do i tune the amp and all that. Nebster gave me somewhat of an idea, is that right?
Old 12-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

How does this look for the wiring kit?

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDe...prodID=KOL-AK8

Also, will i need a capacitor or anything else?
Optima battery?
Old 12-19-2007, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you need to step up to a 4 gauge wire if you're going to be doing the pdx amp. a new battery is a maybe but a capacitor isn't useful at all.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

I have the PDX 1.1000 with a pair of fosgate stage 2 subs and all Knuknoceptz wires and I really like it. I also have the type x components in the front and back and power it with the PDX 4.250. It sounds clean and I can turn it up when I want to. I'm not going to win any competitions, but don't want to either.

Good luck and post pics when you are done.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

BTW I am amazed at the power output of those PDX amps. I was skeptical when I bought it, but damn. They don't get hot and I haven't had a single problem with them. I have them stacked under the passenger seat of my xb.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Blacklistcustomz
how do i tune the amp and all that. Nebster gave me somewhat of an idea, is that right?
tuning the amp is easy.

just set all your headunit settings (bass, treble etc) to your normal listening levels. If it has a subwoofer setting, set it to about 3/4.

put volume on headunit at 0, set gain on amp at minimum. turn up the volume on the headunit to your normal/reasonable listening level, usually about 1/2-3/4 power. Your basically telling the amp, this is the level i usually listen to my music at.

Now start to turn up the gain **** on the amp. You should start to feel/hear the subs kicking in louder. Keep turning the gain up until the sub bass has reached a satisfactory listening level without distorting on deeper notes, ie. so that it is fairly well matched to the rest of the system. one tactic, is to turn the gain up until you get distortion, then turn it down a bit, but thats not really necessary.

also, it would help if you know the output voltage of your headunit or loc. if so, there are rough guidelines about the percentage your gain should be set at for 2, 4, 8 volt pre-outs, etc...

Quick Reply: time to change the subs