Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

the 5 speeds are potential piles of crap

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member

Default the 5 speeds are potential piles of crap

Mine goes in next week! because it makes a wonderful rattling/ticking noise, almost sounds like something is loose in the engine or tranny, metal on metal rattling noise.

You can really hear it when you first start out in 1st gear as the RPMS rise, it also becomes more noticeable 4500+ rpms. Almost think it is the tranny, because it sure isn't as smooth as it used to be. Only have 1800 miles on the car and the clutch feels pretty rough and 80% of the miles are from highway driving. The noise gettings louder/faster the higher the RPMs.

Then again, could be the engine... the ticking noise almost sounds like really abnormally LOUD lifters...

With all of the talk about 3rd gear, other gears poping out of place... I hope this isn't any indication about what is to come
Old 08-14-2004, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive been curious myself about something.... actually 2 things. If I give it a certain amount of gas maybe 50% there is a whine, it almost sounds like the car has a turbo spinning up. And also on the highway the car is 100% smooth until I hit about 4000 RPM and the engine becomes alot rougher at RPMs past that. Either of these things normal?
Old 08-14-2004, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine has some weird sound too. It's particularly noticeable whenever I shift first to second and second to third. It's a rattle/clicking sound, short and mechanical. Note that I can drive manual pretty well. However smooth I change gear, I can still hear those. I will get the car back to the dealer if the sound becoming worse. Just wondrin' if any of you have problem like this!
Old 08-14-2004, 10:37 PM
jjp
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 5 speed

Sorry to hear that about your vehicles. IMO- the 5-speed was a piece of crap to begin with. That POS is what prevented my from ordering a tC.

...It wiggles and feels cheap...

...Like stirring a spoon around in an empty bowl...
Old 08-14-2004, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like a clutch plate, a very easy fix.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't have any rattling or clicking sounds, but I do have a whistling sound whenever I accelerate in gear. It only happens after the car is warmed up a bit. I'm hoping it's something like a drive belt that needs lubing, rather than somethiing with the transmission. I'm probably going to bring in the car to the dealer next week to see what's up. The last time I went, the tech said it was gear whine, but I dunno ...
Old 08-15-2004, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default umm

your just very unlucky....ahh well....youll get over it...
Old 08-15-2004, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member

Another way to describe the sound is if the timing chain was loose and the noise was coming from it bouncing around.

and of course yet another issue with the car discovered today... there is a rattle coming from the interior rear driver side around the rear speaker panel!

Issue #2 found today... there is a tiny crease in the rear passenger side fender were it meets the bumper skin. The way it is, it could have not been made by anybody other than when the panel was made or at the factory.

WTF! This is supposed to be a Toyota, not a piece of crap VW. I am getting flashbacks of owning a Jetta all over again.

The list keeps on growing.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So sell the fricken car and stop complainin.....the sound you described is possibly the easiest problem to fix, bring it to the dealer, they'll tell you. I've yet to have a problem.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nethack4ever
I don't have any rattling or clicking sounds, but I do have a whistling sound whenever I accelerate in gear. It only happens after the car is warmed up a bit. I'm hoping it's something like a drive belt that needs lubing, rather than somethiing with the transmission. I'm probably going to bring in the car to the dealer next week to see what's up. The last time I went, the tech said it was gear whine, but I dunno ...
Good to see it isnt only me. Prob normal. Ill ask myself when I go in to have the roof fixed.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member

Stop complaining?

IT'S A BRAND NEW CAR, doesn't matter if it's a Bently or Honda, you shouldn't have to take your car into the dealer for major service within the first 2 months.

And don't tell me it's minor, a very loud rattle coming from your transmission is not minor. When your passengers are complaining and worried about it... it's not a minor issue.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member

good thing i waited. im not so sure i want a tc anymore....the 2005 mustang is sounding better and better. but then again its a first run....and problems are to be expected. its a new car so whatever it is you shouldnt have to pay to fix it. ive already heard about that one guy whos abs locked up and he totaled his car. the glass roof noise, many manual problems, white spots on the sunroof. dings and scratches on alot of brand new cars. its kind of funny...all these people were complaining about putting down deposits and having to wait forever.....im happy they finally got their cars just to find out the cars are crap...
Old 08-15-2004, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is it true that tCs have Celica 5spd trannies? If that is true it must be a piece of ____ because Celicas come in all the time for new trannies, its one of the most common problems we get with any Toyotas is the good old blown up Celica tranny.

Toyota really doesn't make that great of manual transmission, I hate to say that being a manual owner.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Back In Black xA
Is it true that tCs have Celica 5spd trannies? If that is true it must be a piece of ____ because Celicas come in all the time for new trannies, its one of the most common problems we get with any Toyotas is the good old blown up Celica tranny.

Toyota really doesn't make that great of manual transmission, I hate to say that being a manual owner.
I believe it's a Camry tranny with a lower final drive ratio.

For those of you describing a whistling sound from the engine, usually not at full throttle, that is coming from the airbox. It's the same kind of sound you would get with an aftermarket intake.

As for the noises above 4000 RPM or so, the valve in the muffler opens to allow less backpressure at higher RPM, so the engine could sound rougher since it's making more power. My engine is very, very quiet unless I give it a good deal of gas, then the exhaust turns raspy and there's probably more noise from the engine compartment as well.

Also, I noticed some gear whine from the transmission sometimes, but it's probably just because the cabin is so quiet that I notice the transmission over the engine, exhaust, road noise, etc.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:34 AM
5 Year Member

the tC has the same 5 speed as the camry. The celica 5 speed shares it's tranny w/ the corolla and matrix. The only celica's i knew of w/ tranny problems are the gt-s models. The 2000-2001 models had a very close ratio tranny and almost a 9k redline. It was very easy to mis-shift. Shifting from 3rd to 2nd at 8600 rpms is an easy way to ruin a tranny as well as blow a hole in your engine.

As for this noise your hearing I had a similar problem w/ my corolla. After about 30k miles it would make a weird noise when i would first start moving. About 10k miles later something broke completely loose and tore every one of my gears to shreds. Toyota fixed my tranny under warranty.

If you have tranny noise, take it to the dealership.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RollaS
the tC has the same 5 speed as the camry. The celica 5 speed shares it's tranny w/ the corolla and matrix. The only celica's i knew of w/ tranny problems are the gt-s models. The 2000-2001 models had a very close ratio tranny and almost a 9k redline. It was very easy to mis-shift. Shifting from 3rd to 2nd at 8600 rpms is an easy way to ruin a tranny as well as blow a hole in your engine.

As for this noise your hearing I had a similar problem w/ my corolla. After about 30k miles it would make a weird noise when i would first start moving. About 10k miles later something broke completely loose and tore every one of my gears to shreds. Toyota fixed my tranny under warranty.

If you have tranny noise, take it to the dealership.
I thought it didn't make sense that a tranny from one series of engine would fit the other but I had read in some reviews previous to the tC coming out that it had a Celica transmission. But I guess most automotive journalists probably don't know crap anyway.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok so the all 5 speed tCs have this problem or just some? could people who had their car for a while post something if you are not having any of these problems with the 5 speed.

im just trying to see if this is a wide spread problem or just one or 2 people with this problem making it seem like its evry tC
Old 08-15-2004, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

BOY OH BOY am I glad NOW that I got the AUTOMATIC wasn't sure at the time but am NOW. Hope it works out OK for Ya'll
Old 08-15-2004, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got my manual about 7 weeks ago, and no problems.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:17 AM
5 Year Member

Not to take away from Grunge's problem, but umm... what about all the other people here who have manuals and arent having any sort of problem.

Lets not bust out the orange alert just yet. MmmKay?

Quick Reply: the 5 speeds are potential piles of crap