Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

the 5 speeds are potential piles of crap

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This thread was started by a bunch of paranoid noobs.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just crossed the 6K mark last week, and my tranny has been flawless. It is indeed stubborn going into reverse on occassion, but a quick extra pump of the clutch takes care of that right away.

The only problem I've had in the 4 months since I got it is the common passenger-side hatch rattle- which only seems to happen when the air temperature is cool...
Old 10-05-2005, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nethack4ever
I don't have any rattling or clicking sounds, but I do have a whistling sound whenever I accelerate in gear. It only happens after the car is warmed up a bit. I'm hoping it's something like a drive belt that needs lubing, rather than somethiing with the transmission. I'm probably going to bring in the car to the dealer next week to see what's up. The last time I went, the tech said it was gear whine, but I dunno ...
it's suppose to replicate the sound of an intake.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've got a lil over 2k miles on my tc and and to take take it in to get it clayed becuase there were little rust spots on the car that had to be removed. Other than that... that car feels great and very smooth, you just have to get used to the delay we have in our drive by wire throttle body... but i bought the creative compacts short shifter... and boy does that make a difference makes the shifting firm, strong and shorter throws... its feels like its a must for the tc to get a short shifter becuase the the stock shifter sucks... down the line i also intend to get a new clutct and the fadenza flywheel - i heard if u get these, u'll feel a lot mor noticable improvements w/ the car and no delay w/ throttle response
Old 10-05-2005, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Concept in Motion Crew
SL Member

I got my MANUAL about 3 months ago with no problems yet i have a whistling noise but that's the intake every time i shift kinda like a low pitched b.o.v. for a turbo or something... nothing with the tranny tho.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ignitionr34
i've got a lil over 2k miles on my tc and and to take take it in to get it clayed becuase there were little rust spots on the car that had to be removed. Other than that... that car feels great and very smooth, you just have to get used to the delay we have in our drive by wire throttle body... but i bought the creative compacts short shifter... and boy does that make a difference makes the shifting firm, strong and shorter throws... its feels like its a must for the tc to get a short shifter becuase the the stock shifter sucks... down the line i also intend to get a new clutct and the fadenza flywheel - i heard if u get these, u'll feel a lot mor noticable improvements w/ the car and no delay w/ throttle response
The clutch may help you if you drive the hell out of it, but be careful. A good race clutch (especially one meant of off the line performance) will be worse in daily driving due to the much more aggressive operation. The flywheel will improve throttle response some but will take away inertia.. so your launch will suffer. The stock shifter doesnt exactly suck, I can fly through the gears with no issues at all. The short shifter will improve it, but the tC has a relatively short throw to begin with.

Just remember you have to give something to get something..
Old 10-06-2005, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
Originally Posted by ignitionr34
The clutch may help you if you drive the hell out of it, but be careful. A good race clutch (especially one meant of off the line performance) will be worse in daily driving due to the much more aggressive operation. The flywheel will improve throttle response some but will take away inertia.. so your launch will suffer. The stock shifter doesnt exactly suck, I can fly through the gears with no issues at all. The short shifter will improve it, but the tC has a relatively short throw to begin with.

Just remember you have to give something to get something..

well the stock shifter might not be that bad, but it does suck when i compared it to my friends 02 si and my other friends spec v, it was so much more firmer tighter and short throws stock.... lol they said my stock shifter and cluth felt like it was for girls... the jk though... but even out cluth i have to say isn't that great either.... when again compared to my friends si, and other friends spec v, there release for the cluth is ALOT shorter than ours our is really long if you ask me and if your a newb to manaul getting used to the clutch will take a little time
Old 10-06-2005, 12:35 AM
5 Year Member

That whistling noise when you're taking off or shifting in the first few gears is nothing but your air intake doin it's job. The only problem I'm having with my tC is when I shift at a low rpm or let my rpm's get low and i give it the gas kinda hard, it has a rattle. I'm almost certain it's a heat shield around my exhaust. I took it to the dealership when i went in for the first oil change and they tightened it up and i didn't hear that noise for like 3 days. But then it came back. Anyone else been having that problem?
Old 10-07-2005, 05:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Y... o Y r we still posting replies to this trash that nonautomotive knoledge havin. no custom inspired car havin, drive a car till it break, picky azz mfs put on here over a year ago. can somebody LOCK THIS CRAP!!!!!!!! this is 1 of those posts that make me wish that scion life would break into 2 catagories STOCK (4 the 1s that dont know ish about cars and cant drive=how did u get your license!!??) and CUSTOM (selfexplanitory). LOCK THIS TOPIC
Old 10-07-2005, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

time to lock this puppy up.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:19 AM
SL Member

i have a 2010 if i built my engine and turboed and was over 400hp and a stock 5 speed, could i just swap the 5 speed for the 6 speed that just came out or what would i have to do so it wont blow up on me?
Old 10-06-2010, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Holy thread revival, I haven't worried about doing any transmission mods besides clutch and flywheel upgrade. I don't know any details of the 6 speed transmission and doubt this 5 year old thread would help with that.

Try a search here https://www.scionlife.com/forums/for...lay.php?f=1637

Originally Posted by superbill
time to lock this puppy up.
x2
Old 10-06-2010, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It seems like people are necro posting on all the forums today! It comes in waves...