2005-2010 [ANT10]

the 5 speeds are potential piles of crap

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 01:19 AM
2JZ
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Diluvium
getting into reverse can be a problem too.... it wont let me get into reverse sometimes, but its only a short period...
the shifter not getting into the reverse gate is a common problem for ALL synchro-ed transmissions. it's just the way they are.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

5th gear vibrate a tiny bit on mines, but at some point in time

getting into reverse can be a problem too.... it wont let me get into reverse sometimes, but its only a short period...

dude getting a manu-matic (sports shift) is like asking to mess up your transmission.... my sisters 98 prelude transmission messed up and it costed 3k to fix that thing.
Cousin has the slushbox one for the VW GTI.. it cost 7 grand to replace.. I was like damn that must be some good ____ you are smoking, you better pass that ____.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2JZ
the shifter not getting into the reverse gate is a common problem for ALL synchro-ed transmissions. it's just the way they are.
There is a lock out to prevent you from trying to shift into "6th". you have to put it in Neuteral (center position) before trying to put it in Reverse... safety feature.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Had mine for about 550miles. No weird tranny noises or vibrations.

I've said in other posts that i DO think that the shifter feels is a bit loose and sloppy, but i'm used to my 6spd celica i had that was really tight.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="GrungeFactory"]
Originally Posted by Rich Manas

"this happens when people speedshift or powershift their cars.
nothing is perfect even if the car is built by god himself."
THIS HAPPENS, because the transmission is a pile of crap. Nothing is perfect... yeah car makers aren't perfect, they CAN and DO make bad cars & components. Speedshifting? Powershift? I doubt a 24 yearold artsy EMO lesbian is speedshifting her car. VWs have a very high failure rate and it sure isn't the driver's fault. It's ridiculous you try to blame VW's incredibly low JD Power & Consumer Report ratings on their driver's faults.

"age has nothing to do with how one drives. you can get a 18yr old kid that drives like a 70yr old grandmother on a sunday aftrenoon. the flipside i've seen 50+ yr old men driving their vettes and porsches at streets of willow like they were 18yrs old all over again. were you with your co-worker every single day that he drove his gts? all people lie about the same things, how much they paud for their house and how good of a deal they got on their car."

Don't tell me this is guy was Mr Jekal & Mr Hyde, because he was one of those freaks that played by the book, riding with him he drove like a granny. SO don't tell me when nobody was around he'd become a race car driver.

"if i told you how many people i see who drives our manual tC who supposedly have driven manuals for years and they're still riding the clutch. i'm not saying your like these people but the number of years driving a manual doesn't make one an expert."

You sure are implying something if you felt the need to reply to a post TWICE.

I am sorry to burst your bubble, but the TC is not a perfect car. It can do wrong and to find excuses to make you feel better about the car... whatever floats your boat.
Don't tell me this is guy was Mr Jekal & Mr Hyde, because he was one of those freaks that played by the book, riding with him he drove like a granny. SO don't tell me when nobody was around he'd become a race car driver.
the whole point of my reply was age and the number of years has nothing to do how good of a driver one is. you don't have to race a car for it to have problems.

I am sorry to burst your bubble, but the TC is not a perfect car. It can do wrong and to find excuses to make you feel better about the car... whatever floats your boat.
did i ever say it was? all i said was that 90% of manual transmission problems is caused by the driver.

You sure are implying something if you felt the need to reply to a post TWICE.
its called spell check. again thinking its an attack on you.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2JZ
being an IS owner you should know that pretty well.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

In regard to the VW tranny issue: My brother owned a 99' new beetle and it's literally currently in the shop for a transmission problem that kicked in about 5 months after owning the off the lot new car. granted, it's an auto, but still. It would do things like take about 3 seconds to engage from neutral to drive or drive to reverse. it would also sometimes pop out of gear on the highway. more even, it would sometimes miss first and lurch pretty bad out of lights.

just trying to add something to the discussion. xB 5 speed driver who's happy
Old 08-16-2004, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah to add to all of this.. I did test drive 4 different manual tc's.. most had third gear shaking.. the fourth was fine.. clutch was half way up the pedal travel.. where it's supposed to be.. the other three, one clutch friction point was at the floor, other two were at the top of the travel.. not acceptable at all.. i knew there were going to be problems.. could just feel it..

3 of the cars had problems with the synchros.. been through enough manual transmissions to know synchro problems.. third gear was shaking and ready to pop out.. another fifth gear was not holding in place.. and the one that did work right, was very very smooth in it's linkage.. the other's were very rough.. too rough to be considered toyota..

I think toyota/scion has some work ahead of them on the manual model.. but for me right now I took an auto.. yeah I promised I'd never do it.. but when 3 out of 4 test drives and something's wrong? it's enough for me to go into an automatic.. besides the rpms were less at highway speeds (70-80mph) so more fuel economy.. some might call it a slushbox.. but it shifted crisply for me.. still felt sporty..

I hope that scion fixes these glitches in the manual.. or they're going to be in trouble with a major recall..
Old 08-16-2004, 05:57 AM
5 Year Member

my old car ('99 jetta IV, automatic) also took about 2-3 seconds to engage gears when you shifted into drive or reverse.... I have a friend with a 2000 Jetta also w/ the same problem... much slower than most cars, it feels weird...
Old 08-16-2004, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default riding the clutch

if i told you how many people i see who drives our manual tC who supposedly have driven manuals for years and they're still riding the clutch. i'm not saying your like these people but the number of years driving a manual doesn't make one an expert.

what does it mean to "ride the clutch"
Old 08-16-2004, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this thread is disconcerning :? doing something funny to my tC desires
Old 08-16-2004, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zach
this thread is disconcerning :? doing something funny to my tC desires
hey don't let it throw ya.. the auto isn't so bad.. plus if you can wait.. i bet in a couple months they fix the problem in the manual trans.. my money is on bad parts from suppliers..
Old 08-16-2004, 10:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion

no problems whatsoever to report here.

ya know you can take your own car for a test drive before you decide to sign, right?

every car has some issues. some experience them, some don't. seems like those who have the issue speak up, and those that don't, don't.

i wouldn't let something like this discourage me from getting the tC.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member

I got no real problems w/ my tC. Except that the other day I was having a little fun w/ my car and pulling out from 1st gear, the shifter went completely loose on me. It still shifted normally, except for that I had to REALLY guide the shifter into gear, and it was flopping around even when in gear, but a couple of hours later, it tightened up and is back to normal.

Other than that, I've had no problems w/ my manual.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm glad someone has finally mentioned these problems..If you search I started a thread over a month ago about the shaky shifter in 3rd gear...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...light=3rd+gear

I wanted to drive some other ones and compare...

I have driven one other one since then, but did not notice it.

I also have the high pitched noise when shifting, which is most noticeable in the lower gears.

I also have the rattling which is most noticeable in the lower gears and I hear it every time I have the windows open...to me it sounds like something is just caught within something metal (maybe the heat sheild???really don't know)...

I have talked to the dealership briefly about these and will be taking it in to get checked out...

Forgive me if I missed a post on this thread, but has anybody with these problems taken their car in to get fixed? What was the result?

And I am still happy with the car despite these problems, I just hope other things don't continue to pop up...I want to drive this thing 900,000 miles or so, give or take a couple hundred thou...
Old 08-16-2004, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Well, my "potential pile of crap" works just fine. I try not to touch the shifter unless I'm actually changing gears - it's a shifter, not a handrest.

And if yours gives you trouble - that's what 5 year warranty is for. Use it.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by tC Junkie
good thing i waited. im not so sure i want a tc anymore....the 2005 mustang is sounding better and better. but then again its a first run....and problems are to be expected. its a new car so whatever it is you shouldnt have to pay to fix it. ive already heard about that one guy whos abs locked up and he totaled his car. the glass roof noise, many manual problems, white spots on the sunroof. dings and scratches on alot of brand new cars. its kind of funny...all these people were complaining about putting down deposits and having to wait forever.....im happy they finally got their cars just to find out the cars are crap...
yea its kinda sad the tC has been nothing but hype even b4 it came out basically people liked the idea of having a new production model car and they liked the dressed up version ( lowered, ugly hood gap covered) at the shows and people on here were even pledging to buy one b4 they even saw one. Who puts a deposit on a car they know nothing about? and have never driven??? I liked the design on paper but it looked kinda funny in person partly do the ride height partly to the fat rear panels. you can't go from design to mass production in 13 months it just doesn't work. they threw in a camry engine and dropped on a glass roof in 13months and actually made people buy it. mad props to toyota for pulling the wool over your eyes. I wanted one but not anymore maybe in a year or two when they get it right. no hurry. 18k is a pretty big investment to make which is alot more for all you guys taking out loans for one. The toyota name is not really part of scion so when it craps out toyota's reliabilty rating will not drop. just my opinion I know you guys hate to hear anythinng bad about the tC but it was a good idea just very poorly executed. imo. :D
Old 08-16-2004, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I am sure all the problems with new vehicles will be ironed out within the 5/60,000 warranty period. I have already had Scion representatives call me two times to ask me about my car.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: riding the clutch

[quote="chefman"]

if i told you how many people i see who drives our manual tC who supposedly have driven manuals for years and they're still riding the clutch. i'm not saying your like these people but the number of years driving a manual doesn't make one an expert.
what does it mean to "ride the clutch
its when people are still on the clutch while they're stepping on the throttle.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my IS when its in third gear the shifter goes up and down when cruising and sometimes it doesn't engage into reverse unless you depress the clutch again. that's why i said this to 2JZ. people are too paranoid when they get a new car. there are moving parts to car so there will be shakes and rattles.

being an IS owner you should know that pretty well.
the only thing to do to any car you guys buy in the future take it easy for the first couple of hundred miles give it a proper break in period and don't half step the clutch on every shift. depress that clutch all the way whether your upshifting or downshifting. the only time i've ever seen a gear popping out is when people don't press the clutch all the way so the gear can engage.

Quick Reply: the 5 speeds are potential piles of crap