Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

the 5 speeds are potential piles of crap

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 05:24 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by MrBlister
Not to take away from Grunge's problem, but umm... what about all the other people here who have manuals and arent having any sort of problem.

Lets not bust out the orange alert just yet. MmmKay?

agreed
Old 08-15-2004, 05:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: the 5 speeds are potential piles of crap

Originally Posted by GrungeFactory
Mine goes in next week! because it makes a wonderful rattling/ticking noise, almost sounds like something is loose in the engine or tranny, metal on metal rattling noise.
Nope. I definitely don't have that noise.

Then again, could be the engine... the ticking noise almost sounds like really abnormally LOUD lifters...
Nope again.

With all of the talk about 3rd gear, other gears poping out of place... I hope this isn't any indication about what is to come
I've only heard about 3rd gear so far. I haven't had that problem with mine. It's probably smoother than when I first got it, and I don't think I've ever missed a shift nor has the transmission ever felt like it didn't want to go into gear.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i hate to say it you get a lot of people getting manual transmission cars and they think they know how to drive but it reality they don't. best example was the number of people that bought a 6spd celica gts and blew their trannys cause of pure driver error. just because you can get out of first gear doesn't mean your micahel schumacher.

90% of manual transmission problems is due to the owner of the car.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:52 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Rich Manas
i hate to say it you get a lot of people getting manual transmission cars and they think they know how to drive but it reality they don't. best example was the number of people that bought a 6spd celica gts and blew their trannys cause of pure driver error. just because you can get out of first gear doesn't mean your micahel schumacher.

BULLLLL____

"90% of manual transmission problems is due to the owner of the car."

Tell that to all of the VW owners with the wonderful 2nd gear grind and self destructing trannies.

I've been driving a manual transmission for 10 years now and haven't had an issue until now.

And the 6 speed Celicas.... tell my 50 yearold co worker his tranny died, because he watched a little too much Fast N The Furious, he babied that car and the tranny still went.

It's nice and all people want to feel better about their cars, but they can't ignore the problems by blaming them on anything else.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JasonH
Originally Posted by Back In Black xA
Is it true that tCs have Celica 5spd trannies? If that is true it must be a piece of ____ because Celicas come in all the time for new trannies, its one of the most common problems we get with any Toyotas is the good old blown up Celica tranny.

Toyota really doesn't make that great of manual transmission, I hate to say that being a manual owner.
I believe it's a Camry tranny with a lower final drive ratio.

For those of you describing a whistling sound from the engine, usually not at full throttle, that is coming from the airbox. It's the same kind of sound you would get with an aftermarket intake.

As for the noises above 4000 RPM or so, the valve in the muffler opens to allow less backpressure at higher RPM, so the engine could sound rougher since it's making more power. My engine is very, very quiet unless I give it a good deal of gas, then the exhaust turns raspy and there's probably more noise from the engine compartment as well.

Also, I noticed some gear whine from the transmission sometimes, but it's probably just because the cabin is so quiet that I notice the transmission over the engine, exhaust, road noise, etc.
Most of the camrys are 6 cyl. not likely the same tranny and more often than not there also Auto slush-box's. Also with the Maxi pad type airfilter that comes in the stock Air box. I seriously doubt it has the same effect as an AEM or Injen intake. even with a good dose of gas the Xb manual trans doesnt really seem to come alive till after 5200 rpm. (as far as the sound of the throttle being mashed). and what kind of Muffler are you using that offers a valve in it that opens and closes for back pressure? lol...ok hope it has ceramic muffler bearings too.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Forward Motion Motorsport
Most of the camrys are 6 cyl. not likely the same tranny and more often than not there also Auto slush-box's. Also with the Maxi pad type airfilter that comes in the stock Air box. I seriously doubt it has the same effect as an AEM or Injen intake. even with a good dose of gas the Xb manual trans doesnt really seem to come alive till after 5200 rpm. (as far as the sound of the throttle being mashed). and what kind of Muffler are you using that offers a valve in it that opens and closes for back pressure? lol...ok hope it has ceramic muffler bearings too.
Boy, you really are clueless, aren't you? Have you even seen a tC, let alone, driven one? I've had mine for almost a month. The transmission is from the Camry. The muffler does have a valve that opens at higher RPM. I can also assure you that my intake makes sounds very similar to the HKS intake on one of my other cars. I know what I'm talking about. You do not.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rich Manas

BULLLLL____

"90% of manual transmission problems is due to the owner of the car."

Tell that to all of the VW owners with the wonderful 2nd gear grind and self destructing trannies.

I've been driving a manual transmission for 10 years now and haven't had an issue until now.

And the 6 speed Celicas.... tell my 50 yearold co worker his tranny died, because he watched a little too much Fast N The Furious, he babied that car and the tranny still went.

It's nice and all people want to feel better about their cars, but they can't ignore the problems by blaming them on anything else.
did i single you out? no! that post is directed to everyone driving manual cars.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this happens when people speedshift or powershift their cars. nothing is perfect even if the car is built by god himself.

age has nothing to do with how one drives. you can get a 18yr old kid that drives like a 70yr old grandmother on a sunday aftrenoon. the flipside i've seen 50+ yr old men driving their vettes and porsches at streets of willow like they were 18yrs old all over again. were you with your co-worker every single day that he drove his gts? all people lie about the same things, how much they paud for their house and how good of a deal they got on their car.

if i told you how many people i see who drives our manual tC who supposedly have driven manuals for years and they're still riding the clutch. i'm not saying your like these people but the number of years driving a manual doesn't make one an expert.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive only had my car for almost a week now.. been babying it. Tried to listen to some defects in the manual transmission. nothing. i hear nothing. runs perfect, shifts pefect....

maybe its just me

if your a tc owner (MT) and never had any problems... post here and let everybody know that theres nothing wrong.

you have to break in your car before you start going 2fast 2furious..

j/k
Old 08-15-2004, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Forward Motion Motorsport
Boy, you really are clueless, aren't you? Have you even seen a tC, let alone, driven one? I've had mine for almost a month. The transmission is from the Camry. The muffler does have a valve that opens at higher RPM. I can also assure you that my intake makes sounds very similar to the HKS intake on one of my other cars. I know what I'm talking about. You do not.
JasonH IS right. I have been noticing the high pitched noise coming from the engine when i give the car some gas when im in the torque curve and it IS the airbox making the noise just like an aftermarket intake which i found pretty damn cool. Plus the stock exhaust DOES have a valve inside of it when the car is floored and backpressure starts to build it opens up which will make it louder. As for me i have not experienced any problems with my TC, have had it for about 5 weeks now just under 1000 miles and i love it. I have so much fun driving it everyday.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mchlhotrod
JasonH IS right. I have been noticing the high pitched noise coming from the engine when i give the car some gas when im in the torque curve and it IS the airbox making the noise just like an aftermarket intake which i found pretty damn cool. Plus the stock exhaust DOES have a valve inside of it when the car is floored and backpressure starts to build it opens up which will make it louder. As for me i have not experienced any problems with my TC, have had it for about 5 weeks now just under 1000 miles and i love it. I have so much fun driving it everyday.
Good to hear that I'm not the only one here. One question though: if this is coming from the airbox, then it should also make this noise when I'm just in neutral revving the engine, right? I don't remember hearing the noise when I revved in neutral. Does yours? I'll go try again today both in gear and in neutral.

Other than that, I've had no major problems with the transmission, or with the car in general. I've read most of the posts on here and can attest that my car doesn't pop out of third, I don't have the sunroof problem, no rattles so far, no dents in the sheetmetal, etc. The transmission is a little notchy going into 5th, but so what. My VIN is somewhere in the 6000s if that helps, and I have only a little over 200 miles on the car after more than a month of ownership. I'm really happy with the tC so far.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nethack4ever
Good to hear that I'm not the only one here. One question though: if this is coming from the airbox, then it should also make this noise when I'm just in neutral revving the engine, right? I don't remember hearing the noise when I revved in neutral. Does yours? I'll go try again today both in gear and in neutral.
No, it shouldn't and it doesn't. When the engine isn't under load it doesn't draw enough air to cause a strong vacuum and make the sound. If you revved it way up in neutral it might make a sound, but you might not be able to hear it over the engine.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, it shouldn't and it doesn't. When the engine isn't under load it doesn't draw enough air to cause a strong vacuum and make the sound. If you revved it way up in neutral it might make a sound, but you might not be able to hear it over the engine.
That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation!
Old 08-15-2004, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sorry but I never knew that Camry's manual tranny was reliable...I thought most people buy the auto version. :?:
Old 08-15-2004, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrafficinLA
I'm sorry but I never knew that Camry's manual tranny was reliable...I thought most people buy the auto version. :?:
My boss drives an old Camry (from the early 90s I think) with 4 cyl. and a manual transmission, and it seems to be reliable for him. You are definitely right that most people buy the auto though. I think they used to make v6 manual Camrys, which is actually a car I would be interested in with some suspension mods for better handling.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member

[quote="Rich Manas"]

"this happens when people speedshift or powershift their cars. nothing is perfect even if the car is built by god himself."

THIS HAPPENS, because the transmission is a pile of crap. Nothing is perfect... yeah car makers aren't perfect, they CAN and DO make bad cars & components. Speedshifting? Powershift? I doubt a 24 yearold artsy EMO lesbian is speedshifting her car. VWs have a very high failure rate and it sure isn't the driver's fault. It's ridiculous you try to blame VW's incredibly low JD Power & Consumer Report ratings on their driver's faults.

"age has nothing to do with how one drives. you can get a 18yr old kid that drives like a 70yr old grandmother on a sunday aftrenoon. the flipside i've seen 50+ yr old men driving their vettes and porsches at streets of willow like they were 18yrs old all over again. were you with your co-worker every single day that he drove his gts? all people lie about the same things, how much they paud for their house and how good of a deal they got on their car."

Don't tell me this is guy was Mr Jekal & Mr Hyde, because he was one of those freaks that played by the book, riding with him he drove like a granny. SO don't tell me when nobody was around he'd become a race car driver.

"if i told you how many people i see who drives our manual tC who supposedly have driven manuals for years and they're still riding the clutch. i'm not saying your like these people but the number of years driving a manual doesn't make one an expert."

You sure are implying something if you felt the need to reply to a post TWICE.

I am sorry to burst your bubble, but the TC is not a perfect car. It can do wrong and to find excuses to make you feel better about the car... whatever floats your boat.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrafficinLA
My boss drives an old Camry (from the early 90s I think) with 4 cyl. and a manual transmission, and it seems to be reliable for him. You are definitely right that most people buy the auto though. I think they used to make v6 manual Camrys, which is actually a car I would be interested in with some suspension mods for better handling.
Well doesn't the Solara still make manual trannies? I heard the last generation solara v6 manual is still holding up fine with some tuners I know in Richmond. Actually they are running with quite a bit of mods and still with the stock clutch and short shifter flowing along just fine.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:46 PM
2JZ
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: 5 speed

Originally Posted by jjp
Sorry to hear that about your vehicles. IMO- the 5-speed was a piece of crap to begin with. That POS is what prevented my from ordering a tC.

...It wiggles and feels cheap...

...Like stirring a spoon around in an empty bowl...
just so everyone knows... the honda prelude type SH (actually... all hondas for that matter... i confirmed this on the prelude and accord... i drove a '00 Civic Si once, but don't remember how it was on it) has the same wobbly shifter... i don't like it either since i was used to the ultra notchiness of the IS shifter, but i really don't notice it... i plan to get a short shifter in the near future.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

5th gear vibrate a tiny bit on mines, but at some point in time

getting into reverse can be a problem too.... it wont let me get into reverse sometimes, but its only a short period...

dude getting a manu-matic (sports shift) is like asking to mess up your transmission.... my sisters 98 prelude transmission messed up and it costed 3k to fix that thing.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member

Hmm...as far as transmission problems, I haven't had any, and I beat my car pretty badly sometimes. The only thing I can think of is that sometimes, when I'm shifting from first to second at high RPM it comes out of gear a little readily, like as soon as the clutch is engaged it's like it's trying to pop itself out of gear. Mind you, this is only when between like 5 and 6 thousand RPMs, and only first gear, and only sometimes, and only when I want to shift. The car doesn't pop itself out of gear.

Today, though, I braked hard for a yellow light going a little over the speed limit, and the back of my car stepped out to the right and the front dipped to the left pretty sharply, on a straight flat road. That was pretty disconcerting.

Quick Reply: the 5 speeds are potential piles of crap