2005-2010 [ANT10]

air vent failure..

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default air vent failure..

my driver side upper vent (when directed toward my face) and the A/C is set to full blast, turns in to the inside on its own. anyone else have this problem? its quite annoying to me.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

take it to the dealer and have them tighten the screw on the ****. they will need the car for about an hour. hope this helps.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hi Larry,
Yeah, I've noticed that a couple times too (probably the few instances where I have had my A/C on full blast). I remember someone else posting about it before too, so we are not alone. I have to go into the dealership today so I will mention it to them and see if they've heard of this issue and can do anything about it. If there isn't a TSB yet, I may just wait for one. -Jayme
Old 08-09-2004, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they just ordered me a new assembly. the scion dealership here is cool as shyt. i really havent had a problem with them yet...
Old 08-09-2004, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine was in for service for this very reason today, but they could not replicate it. So it still moves.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GeminiTwin
Hi Larry,
Yeah, I've noticed that a couple times too (probably the few instances where I have had my A/C on full blast). I remember someone else posting about it before too, so we are not alone. I have to go into the dealership today so I will mention it to them and see if they've heard of this issue and can do anything about it. If there isn't a TSB yet, I may just wait for one. -Jayme
hey jayme.. let us know how it goes.. got a question (not to jack this thread).. how different is the tC from your 96 Civic EX.. i too am getting a tC, and have a 96 Civic HX.. so let me know curious to hear.. thanks
Old 08-09-2004, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich

hey jayme.. let us know how it goes.. got a question (not to jack this thread).. how different is the tC from your 96 Civic EX.. i too am getting a tC, and have a 96 Civic HX.. so let me know curious to hear.. thanks
Hi mich,
Well unfortunately, like Blitz, as soon as I showed up at the dealership the mysterious moving vent issue could not be duplicated! The funny thing is that I tried it right before I left my house to make sure it was really easy to show them. Then, when I show up there, it won't do it. Maybe it only happens in certain conditions like if the inside of the car is really hot? I am totally perplexed.

I liked my Civic but after three years, decided that I wanted something new and different with more power (and a warrantly :-). I've had my tC since the beginning of July and absolutely love it. It doesn't even compare to a civic. Tons of great features, smooth, quiet ride, and a classier body style IMO. The ONLY thing that I miss about my Civic was the huge trunk but I have been pleasantly surprised to be able to fit all of my groceries in the trunk of the tC and have not yet needed to fold down the back seats. Even my Dad loves the tC and he is a car snob, lol. He kept trying to convince me to buy a G35 instead of the tC but now that he has seen and driven my car, he thinks that I made a really smart decision in getting the tC. -Jayme
Old 08-09-2004, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you know it could be the heat inside the car.. heat = expansion.. could get hot and loosen up causing it to move.. hey next time take a hair dryer, warm up the vent and see if it causes it to move then look like a crazy scion owner when you go to the dealer and whip out a hairdryer.. lol but hey anything to get it fixed!!

Yeah the Civic i've had since 1996, and it's fun, but you're right, not enough power.. my year was actually an EPA emissions extension (honda messed with the computer settings to pass EPA emissions, but were basically lying.. and the EPA caught them and sued, won..) so it was nice to have a 7 year/150,000 mile warranty for free..

but yeah just asking since the HX and EX were very similar (minus the sunroof).. so had to ask.. yeah trunk issues are something I can deal with too..i know that trunk can hold lots of stuff, but it's worth the trade off.. I think Toyota did a great job on the car, even if we have to put up with an air vent moving, i just rack it up as first year production glitches.. almost to be expected.. looks like toyota is very good, just not perfect..

thanks jayme..
Old 08-09-2004, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by blitzcat
Mine was in for service for this very reason today, but they could not replicate it. So it still moves.
I've only noticed it happening when the car is very hot, like after a work day sitting outside with the windows up. I believe the vents have some grease on the joints that help to dampen the movement (much like many of the other moving parts in the car) and when it heats up it loses its dampening ability. If you want your dealer to try it again, pick a hot day, drop off your car in direct sunlight and leave the sunroof shades open. If they come back to it in a couple of hours, the won't be able to keep the vent pointed any way but straight or all the way left or right.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'm having that problem too. I was going to try to test it out while doing the car walk around, but I was understandably too excited to remember anything.

I just got off the phone with my salesguy, and he told me to just bring it in, see what the dealership says, and if they can't help me out, he'll send out a letter to Scion or whatever.

Hope everyone isn't in 115º heat with this problem, because it sucks!
Old 08-10-2004, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Just bought my II TC today, and it has the same problem. Another TC I test drove three weeks ago exhibited the same problem, so it's obviously very common. I have to return the car to the dealer sometime in the next few weeks to have some light scratches buffed out, and the tech that looked at it said he would ask around for the fix to it, then call me to see when I could bring it in.

FYI, mine exhibits this on the drivers side vents, both window side and the console one.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Mine does the same - if the fan is up too high the vents don't stay in place - they give in to the air flow. Hope there are some screwes that I can tighten... Lemme take that thing off and try to take it apart

Ok. Pulled the top center console piece out - no screws to tighten in the vent area - it's all plastic. The only way I think will be possible to make it tigher is to insert a 'c'-shaped washer there, and it's not the best of ideas because the washer will fall out sooner or later.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have this same exact problem. yesterday it was like over 92 degrees here. and when i needed the a/c the most it wasn't working right. i put the a/c at the highest setting and not only one but all the vents went different directions. the 2 middle one's even closed.

everyone should try this because i think this is an issue with all tC's. the only reason more people haven't had this happen is because 1. they haven't used there a/c at the highest setting 2. you also have to make sure you move the vents around, if you have them pointing straight forward nothing will happen. they have to be turned at a certain angle. try playing around with it.

this issue needs to be fixed. on top of that the a/c is pretty bad like most people are saying, i drove for about 30 minutes to work at the 2nd highest setting the whole time and the air never got really cold. i had to leave it at that setting the whole time just to feel somewhat comfortable.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Larry, you from Panama city huh? I lived there for 3 years. Small world . I went to Arnold High school when I went there.. hows things there now?
Old 08-12-2004, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rivulent
Larry, you from Panama city huh? I lived there for 3 years. Small world . I went to Arnold High school when I went there.. hows things there now?
i was actually there a couple weeks ago.

i'm still wondering about the a/c vent problem any updates?