2005-2010 [ANT10]

Brake grinding sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Brake grinding sound

I recently began hearing a grinding sound coming from my brakes (I think it's my brakes). I can hear when braking at slow speeds (like in a parking lot) that sounds like is coming from the rear drivers side wheel. It's intermittent, meaning it sounds like it is going with the revolution of my wheel and not a continuous sound if that makes sense.

My dealer said they heard nothing unusual and that they cleaned the brakes (rust spots, etc) but it's still doing it. Just today with my window rolled down, I could hear the sound even louder, like a metal sound (my brakes still have a lot of life left). I'm getting nowhere with my dealership, so has anyone else experienced this or know of anything that may fix it? Thanks.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is it a constant grinding, or does it only happen when you first start driving, or after you've been breaking heavily for a while?

I feel your pain. I put TRD pads on my tC, and now the brakes sound like they did when my old pads were getting low--squeaking, non-stop.

You might even want to try calling Scion.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

maybe try a different dealership?
Old 02-21-2007, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

My brakes do something similar. When Im in stop and go traffic, I can hear a sound, not like a grindin, but it feels like its vibrating.........????? I took mine in a while back and the dealer said the same thing, then they also told me it could be the ABS but couldnt find any probs.......??? Im prolly gonna do a brake job here pretty soon.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the dezod motorsports package with powerslot rotors and axxis ultimate pads all around. sounds like nails on a chalk board, but i have already had two instances where i had to do a hard stop and they worked like a charm.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

mine does the same.. constantly.. ____es me off...
Old 02-21-2007, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
i have the dezod motorsports package with powerslot rotors and axxis ultimate pads all around. sounds like nails on a chalk board, but i have already had two instances where i had to do a hard stop and they worked like a charm.
What alls included in that package..??
Old 02-21-2007, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

front and rear slotted powerslot rotors, and front and rear axxis ultimate pads. comes with 10 off and free shipping.

http://dezod.com/cat_dezod_motorsports_brake.cfm
Old 02-21-2007, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCTaco
My brakes do something similar. When Im in stop and go traffic, I can hear a sound, not like a grindin, but it feels like its vibrating.........????? I took mine in a while back and the dealer said the same thing, then they also told me it could be the ABS but couldnt find any probs.......??? Im prolly gonna do a brake job here pretty soon.
when i got new brake pads on my ford explorer, i noticed a huge amount of vibration, and it was because my rotors were worn from taking way too long to replace the pads (thanks dad). i tried to get them shaved, but they were too thin and just had to be completely replaced.

so if your hard on your brakes, like panic stops from over 40 mph, you might have warped your brake rotors.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Yeah, But this has been since day one when I bought the car. I took it into the dealer and they said nothing was wrong, I didnt believe them and took off all my wheels and took a closer look at all my rotors and spun them..I couldnt see anything wrong either. I think I am just going to an upgrade since its getting close to changing them out anyways.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

might not be the abs, maybe the ebd or electronic brake-force distribution. i don't know much about that, just one of the other possible braking problems. maybe a kink in the brake lines or fluid hoses?
Old 02-21-2007, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Its not bad, just does it every now and then. I notice it when Im driving around 70-75 on the freeway and then have to slow it down to almost a complete stop for traffic and then you can hear and feel it when slowing down and speeding up. but Once I hit about 30, it goes away.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

are you braking while still in gear? the first time i noticed brake vibration was in a rental automatic civic, it vibrated when i was slowing down on the interstate. then i noticed my tc did it if i used the brake while still in gear.

is that it? your braking while still in gear? i always clutch in and brake or downshift and i spend 4 hours a week on the interstate at 70 to 100 mph.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Maybe....I dont remeber if Im in gear. Ill have to see next time..prolly tomorrow.

Traffic sucks! The drive to work is only about 25-30 minutes away from my house and it takes 1 hour there and back for traffic....if there is an accident...Forget it!
Old 02-21-2007, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It does this anytime I drive. I have tried two different dealers, one told me it's normal, the other told me they would charge me to disassemble the pads and have it cleaned since it's not a warranty concern. What I hate is the looks I get when braking in a parking lot; sounds like I am driving a POS. They did clean the rust spots off the brakes but that didn't do anything.

I guess I could try braking hard a couple of times and see if that clears anything stuck in there.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, that is how my tc sounds right now. i love rolling onto campus and coming down this long hill and just holding my brake pedal lightly making at harmonious sqeaking down the hill until they warm up and stop squeaking.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's not exactly a typical brake sqeaking that happens when there is moisture on the pads (like happens in the morning). This sounds almost like there is a rock or something stuck scraping against the pads, except if that were the case, it would be doing it continually when I brake. This is hard to explain, but it's intermittent, so it makes the sound at a certain point when the back wheel is turning. It depends on the rotation of the wheel, when the sound is made.

But yeah, regardless, the sound doesn't get favorable reactions from others.