Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Buying this week, need help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Buying this week, need help.

Hi. I've been lookig at a TC for two years now. I finally sold my Jeep Liberty and am going to purchase a TC this week. I drive mostly around town, no racing, very few long trips. I have a few questions. I currently and have always driven a stick. I'm considering auto trans with this car but want some options on it for town driving. I'm not racing this car, it's just to drive. Also, how is Toyota factory tint? Is it as dark as aftermarket, or as dark as legal aftermarket? I'm thinking I'm getting the pedestal spoiler. I think the car looks forgotten about in the back with out it. Do any of you have any problems with your pedestal spoiler? And I think lastly, I really like the Flint Mica color, but it seems I'm reading there is almost a FM cult of some sort out there. Is that true? I really liek the dark blue and the dark red too. Any suggestions for me?

Laurel
Old 05-07-2007, 02:13 PM

I'm sorry, where I wrote I wanted options on the 5 speed I meant opinions for town driving.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well if you just want to drive, cruise, and lay back, get an auto trans. If you want to drive it yourself get a 5spd even though you don't race. As for tint, there really isn't much on the side windows. Only the roof. I have a pedestal spoiler and it looks great. Really fills out the car. I have had ZERO leaks and ZERO problems with it to date. Mine is an 06 model and will turn 2 years in July. And YES, there are Ton's of people with flint Micas. Thats why i went Silver. Be different and go Blue or red. I personally like the dark blue (Nautical), or dark red(Black Cherry Pearl)better. Good luck. If you need more help ask or Private Message me.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would test drive both the auto and manual...the manual definitely is more responsive to throttle
Old 05-07-2007, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the tC is perfect for around town driving. you won't be disappointed. the manual shifts nicely, and is easy to drive once you get used to the slight lag of the accelerator. i agree that you should test drive both the auto and 5 speed, but don't give up on the 5 speed too soon. i've had aftermarket tint (15% llumar) on for about a year now, and it's holding up great. the factory tint is almost non-existent on the sides and back, and i've never seen the dealer installed tint, so i can't help you there. as for the color, flint mica is really pretty when the light hits it. i imagine that's why so many people have it. the nautical blue and black cherry colors are nice too, but i wouldn't be swayed by anything other than which color you like the best. see if the dealer can show you an example of each in person. just remember that darker colors will show age much faster than lighter ones. scratches, rock chips and dirt will really stand out on a nautical blue or black sand, a bit less on black cherry and flint mica, and the least on classic silver.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Don't want to wait for the 08? There's going to be 2 new colors.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I have a white tC. I love it! Sure, it probably gets dirty the fastest of all the colors but when its clean, it looks awesome! The only thing I would say about the darker colors is, Scion paint is not the best. After a while, you will probably be noticing a lot of blemishes on the darker colors than you would on silver or white. Just so you know. Good luck with the buying process!
Old 05-07-2007, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Not true about the FM part I see mostly whites
Old 05-07-2007, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member

First off, welcome to the family!! Auto or stick, you will enjoy your new tC. I bought my first in sept or oct '04, it was a BSP auto, and I drove it for nearly two years before I got bored of the automatic and tired of polishing out light scratches in the paint. I traded her in this year around feb I think for an 07 NBM 5spd, and haven't been happier. I use mine as a daily driver, mostly going to work and back, and the stick is always fun to drive. As far as the pedestal spoiler, it's not for me, but to each his own. FM is definately a nice color, but I don't think it's the best on the scion, thats why I bought a blue one! A buddy of mine has a FM tC, and when I rolled up on him, he couldn't believe the color. I have also gotten countless compliments from strangers in parking lots about the color of my car. At any rate, keep us posted on your desicion, and post pics when you get it!!
Old 05-07-2007, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

FM will be a great color, you really have to see it in person to know what im saying. I also have an auto and im very happy with it. I live in a mid-sized city and run through too much traffic which is why i went with auto. I have no power mods besides a quiet Magnaflow exhaust. Im not into the whole racing scene but i do like my car to look nice. I personally dont like the pedistal spoiler which is why ill be going with the lip pretty soon. The pedistal looks to bulky without a lip kit of some sort? Mine came with tint and i believe its around 35%. I plan on going a bit darker. Good Luck!
Old 05-08-2007, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by tC4italy
Not true about the FM part I see mostly whites
move to So Cal then come talk to me C.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:12 AM

Well I went and test drove both. I went with the automatic. I could dstart thr car off in 3rd with the manual! I got the nautical blue. I am in love with the flint mica, it's sooo pretty, but there are just so many out there. I really like the bllue too, so it came down to being a little more original. IMO. I also got the pedestal spoiler and limo tint. The car is being ordered but I was told it would be in before Friday. I'm so excited!
Old 05-09-2007, 04:55 AM
5 Year Member

i have the ped spoiler, and my only complaint is after a good car wash, for some reason, where the spoiler mounts to the trunk, its "pees", as in driving after a good wash, or rain, where the mounts are water keeps coming out. Its odd, thats my only complaint
Old 05-09-2007, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Tc has a lot of torque so you might be alright with driving the manual in town (ie.. has enough torgue that you are not constantly shifting). In my neck of the woods there are a pile of FM and black (cant tell them apart on the road). It was 3rd on my list behind (you guessed it) the IIP and BCP and it was a distant third.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member

Originally Posted by Briwesk
i have the ped spoiler, and my only complaint is after a good car wash, for some reason, where the spoiler mounts to the trunk, its "pees", as in driving after a good wash, or rain, where the mounts are water keeps coming out. Its odd, thats my only complaint
Firmly close your trunk a few times to shake that water free, and if that doesn't work, take a quick spin around the block, and hit it with some quick detailer spray. Works for my mirror leaks all the time.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:41 PM

Bleepin, bleep! I just got a call that my car won't be in until at least the 19th. I was told on Tuesday it would be here by this Friday! They said the problem is the color, nautical blue, is so rare that they couldn't get one locally and had to order it from Japan. They have about 10 flink micas in stock. I like the flink mica. I liek it alot. But it seems like there are a whole bunch out there and I wanted something a little different. Should I just get a flink mica, or is the nautical blue worth the wait?
Old 05-10-2007, 07:46 PM

Looks like I was so mad I worte "flink" everywhere Flint shoudl be. Sorry!
Old 05-10-2007, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FM is a nice color. i have it. but in NOVA its everywhere. i really like the white.

i bought my car on an impulse, and now, unfortunately, i have the ped spoiler. i hate it. it leaks and it's ugly.

no bueno.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member

Nautical Blue is totally worth the wait. I looked long and hard to find my perfect scion, my current NBM tC with no options but the ipod HU, and when I found it, I jumped on it, and love it very much. Wait it out man. Good things come to those who wait lol.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:50 PM

Whooo Hoooo!!!! I just got a call from the dealer. My NB came in off the truck this morning! I'm going after work to pick it up. I'm so glad I didn't just settle for my second choice. Although every day I kept thinking the nb was rare and not many people had it. I've found about 10 in my tiny town this week!