Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Dome light and Headlight On Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Dome light and Headlight On Sound?

Ok guys, got a question maybe a few of you could answer for me.

When I come to a stop. turn the car off, take the key out, open the drivers side door, the dome light does NOT come on. But, if I open the passenger door, it does. (yes the switch is set to door). Isnt the dome light supposed to come on when the drivers door opens too?

Also, if I leave my headlights on, take the key out, open the door, there is NO buzzer, bell, whistle, anything to let me know I left them on. Isnt there supposed to be something, I thought I read in the manual that it was. I left them on at work and probably drained a lot of the batter. Stupid, I know.

Anyone else seen/have this issue?
Old 12-03-2004, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i kno that if you leave your lights on and u get out of ur car after u take the keys out, they will turn off automatically but im not sure about the dome light tho
Old 12-03-2004, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The lights didnt turn off automatically. I might have had just the running lights (first step on the switch) though. I dont remember.

I do remember that they were on when I came out from work, luckily the car started right up.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

my headlights wont turn off either after i take out the key, and lock the doors.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member

check the sensor on the driver side door jamb to see if it might be stuck - I know I have this problem sometimes on my '92 MR2 where the sensor still thinks the door is closed so no dome light, no buzzer etc. But that is weird if it is happening on a relatively new car.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes - the dome light should come on when driver door opens.

No - there is no buzzer for your headlights...they turn off automatically if they are left on when you take the keys out and shut the driver door.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where on the door is this sensor? Is it on the back edge where the door lock mechanism is, or the front side where the door hinge is?
Old 12-03-2004, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 3 IGs
No - there is no buzzer for your headlights...they turn off automatically if they are left on when you take the keys out and shut the driver door.
Really, this is cool. So if I close and lock the door they should turn off, after how long?
Old 12-03-2004, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by djaaronp
Where on the door is this sensor? Is it on the back edge where the door lock mechanism is, or the front side where the door hinge is?
on the back edge near the door lock. I don't have my tC yet so I don't know what it looks like on the tC, but just look for something that moves like a switch, you can leave the key in and play around until you see the dome light go on and off or the buzzer comes on.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Really, this is cool. So if I close and lock the door they should turn off, after how long?
If I leave my lights on - remove the key - shut the driver door - they go off as soon as the door is shut.

However, IIRC, if you turn your lights off and turn the car off and then turn the lights on for some reason (w/ the key @ the accessory position) the lights will remain on when you remove the key and open/shut the driver door. Did that confuse anyone?...because I came pretty close to confusing myself. :D
Old 12-03-2004, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

If you open the door before the key is turned to the "off" position, I don't believe the headlights turn off automatically.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I leave my lights on - remove the key - shut the driver door - they go off as soon as the door is shut.
....correction - the lights go off as soon as I open the door (as long as the key is out of the ignition).
Old 12-04-2004, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member

This is a Toyota, feature the Lilghts should turn off when you open the door and the key isn't in the Ignition, my 96 camry has the same feature. It sounds like the open door sensor on the door jam is bad, to test and see if the sensor bad open the drivers door, and see if the light on the dash is on. I would bring your tC back to the dealership since its on warenty.