Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

New to the site, new to Scion, about to buy a TC. HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member

Default New to the site, new to Scion, about to buy a TC. HELP.

Hey guys, I'm new to the site and I'm new to Scion and my parents are about to get me a new TC as my undergrad graduation present and I had a few questions for the experts....

First of all, this is the car I've put togther so far: 06 Silver TC, Lip Spoiler, exhaust system, fog lights, TYC tail lights, airbag package, security system, sport steering wheel, EMX 18" alloys.

Is there anything else that is worth getting from the dealer? Or is there anything that's NOT worth getting from the dealer?

I was going to get the Pioneer stero w/ iPod interface, but I want to get a nav system installed instead and I was wondering if anyone knows if that's possible (if it is, which are the best ones for the TC)? If I do put in a nav system and get the sport steering wheel, will the wheel controls still be able to control the stereo?

I wanted to get leather seats, but every dealer offer a different package. Is it better to get them after-market and does anyone know where I can find pictures of what they look like?

The dealer said it's "no hassle/haggle" pricing, but I've read that some dealers negotiate. Do they?

Thanks a lot guys ,take it easy.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok I can answer a few of your questions and give my opinion on a couple things here. Number one you are going to get different answers from everyone on what to get from the dealer and what to get aftermarket yourself. Keep one thing in mind, with all the performance shops out there, you can do just about anything you want to your car. You could make it a rolling movie theatre if you wanted to.

More specifically though, the options you are going with look pretty good for the most part. I would not get the TRD exhaust from the dealer though, I would recommend HKS or GReddy Evo2. If you like the EMX wheels thats cool, a lot of times if you do research you might find rims you like better though, maybe even for less - I'm not sure what the dealer is charging, but dealers usually smoke people on rims. 5Zigen, Konig, Gram Lights, and Racing Hart or RH Evo wheels are some you might consider.

The leather seats are good, but the ones I have seen with the SCION logo always look crooked for some reason. And I'm pretty sure you can go to an interior shop and get leather done for cheaper than the dealer. The dealer is almost always gonna be the most expensive, but I know people like to go thru them anyway since it gets worked into the financing most of the time. But if you got the money have it done elsewhere yourself. I got my tC with as few extras as I could, so I could add specifically what I wanted myself. I did like the lip spoiler though, that's good, and of course the airbag package is good, mine didnt have that though. The sport steering wheel is too expensive IMO, but it does look nice!

Far as the pricing I believe they are still not negotiating, I don't know anyone who was able to do that.

I'll leave the iPod / Steering Wheel / Stereo answers for others who know more than I. Hope I was of some kinda help.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Team ScionEyed
SL Member

If mom & dad are picking up the tab, you can't go wrong w/ the options you've selected. Most peeps don't get dealer installed options b/c of the price.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member

If your parents are paying for the whole thing at once, you are better off just getting a stock tc and asking them for the difference. That way you can mod your car with the same stuff, but at a lower price. Then use the money you save and buy them a nice present.

If they are financing the car for you, go for it.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:34 AM
5 Year Member

I have to be VERY smart, esp. since my parents are buying me another car because it has to last me through law school and I want to make sure I make the right choice.... i want a car that will hang with me and not look like crap in a year. In high school I had a new Jetta, in undergrad I had another new Jetta, this is my first move away from VW (and the fact that the new Jetta looks like a Corolla doesn't make me want to stay in the family) and I don't want to buy the Toyota version of a Hyundai Tiburon (you know, "the tiburon looks great, but what are the doors falling off")

I've read a few great reviews of the TC, but I've read a few bad ones too. The ones that are great, are REALLY great. The ones that are bad, well, make the TC sound like a **** troop carrier.

I've seen some great pics of leather installed on the TC, but it seems everyone has a different idea about a nav system. Does anyone know of one that will actually look like it GOES with the car? I don't see why some people buy a $2000 nav system that looks like it was installed by the blind/deaf guy up the street. Ideas?

And the big question, what are the options from the dealer that are just BS and I'm better off getting after market?

Thanks to the guys who have written back. You dudes rock.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

speaking as someone who just bought one........the dealer was asking like 1600 for the EMX rims and tires, and the tires that they wer eputting on them were yokohama, 1600 is about 200.00 more then what you can pay for a good set of aftermarket rims and tires. ive found the EMX rims for 187.00 per wheel on the net, i forget where, do a word search....they are enkei, so the quality is good. but 1600 is not alot to pay for factory rims, the factory rims on some cars can get out of hand. IMHO
Old 07-23-2005, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Kilo6_one
speaking as someone who just bought one........the dealer was asking like 1600 for the EMX rims and tires, and the tires that they wer eputting on them were yokohama, 1600 is about 200.00 more then what you can pay for a good set of aftermarket rims and tires. ive found the EMX rims for 187.00 per wheel on the net, i forget where, do a word search....they are enkei, so the quality is good. but 1600 is not alot to pay for factory rims, the factory rims on some cars can get out of hand. IMHO
Yea, I noticed the big price differences if you go aftermarket. The dealer was charging $1500 for leather seats, found nicer versions of the seats after market for $595 installed.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i was just going to say, if you do your homework, katskinz leather is less then factory, and the quality is higher, we just put a set in an evo8, looks very well made. also the EMX rims are realy heavy from what i hear, i personally have not tosssed one on a scale, but that is what the only complaint ive heard......
Old 07-24-2005, 03:19 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks, I'm def. going to get the rims after market if I go w/ Scion. Since I live in the Northeast we get $hitloads of snow and ice, so I was thinking about Dunlop SP Sport 2000 which Edmunds recommend, anyone have other suggestions.

Also... NAV system, which ones fit the TC and still allow the door to be closed over the radio bay?
Old 07-24-2005, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All of the option you have listed are pretty good. I got the leather installed from the dealer and it is really nice, no Scion logo anywhere. If you can afford to get the leather else where than thats good, but I just worked it in with my loan. Also, im not sure what you look for in a car but if mom&dad are paying, I would recommend the TRD shocks and springs. Big improvement in handling compared to stock and it also makes the car look alot nicer. Again, if you can afford to go aftermarket then I would suggest doing so. What ever you decide, im sure you will love the TC. For the price it is the best car out there and you get Toyota reliablity. Good luck.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im looking at the SP901's.......check those out, i would keep your stocks and use those in the winter......thats what i do with my cars......
Old 07-25-2005, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As for the NAV, there are a number of options out there right now--

Eclipse AVN 5435 and another similar model but I can't remember the model number
-the eclipses look good and fit well into the space (it's a double din unit)-- note that the eclipse units are practically the same as the nav systems found as options on toyota and lexus models

Pioneer makes a couple of double din units (do a search here as i don't remember the model numbers) and as i recall they cost less than the eclipse units. the only problem w/ the pioneer double din units as that they either don't have DVD playing capability, and the ones that are capable of playing DVDs cannot play them while in motion because if the interal gyroscope senses that the car is moving then it will not play DVDs. The Eclipse units theoretically don't allow DVDs to be played while the car's parking brake is up, but the parking brake sensor wire can be easily grounded therefore bypassing this safety feature.

I'm sure there a couple of other offerings by other manufacturers, but I can't recall them now--search the electrical and interior forums...

here is a pic of the eclipse AVN 5435 in my car:

Old 07-25-2005, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i cant believe none of you have mentioned this

DO NOT GET THE SPORT STEERING WHEEL

not only is it tacky .. but you will lose the much coveted steering wheel controls... the 06 steering wheel > all other options for steering wheels
Old 07-25-2005, 02:14 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by lyrictenor1
As for the NAV, there are a number of options out there right now--

Eclipse AVN 5435 and another similar model but I can't remember the model number
-the eclipses look good and fit well into the space (it's a double din unit)-- note that the eclipse units are practically the same as the nav systems found as options on toyota and lexus models

Pioneer makes a couple of double din units (do a search here as i don't remember the model numbers) and as i recall they cost less than the eclipse units. the only problem w/ the pioneer double din units as that they either don't have DVD playing capability, and the ones that are capable of playing DVDs cannot play them while in motion because if the interal gyroscope senses that the car is moving then it will not play DVDs. The Eclipse units theoretically don't allow DVDs to be played while the car's parking brake is up, but the parking brake sensor wire can be easily grounded therefore bypassing this safety feature.

I'm sure there a couple of other offerings by other manufacturers, but I can't recall them now--search the electrical and interior forums...

here is a pic of the eclipse AVN 5435 in my car:

Dude, that rocks! I've never actually cutomized any car I've owned (I've seen too many people do botch jobs that looked like stoned 16 year olds could do a better job) but I've seen a lot of cool $hit done to the TC. Does the Eclipse have Sirius as an option? And with the Eclipse system, would that motorized door operator for the TC'S radio bay that I've been seeing around the internet work with the elipse unit installed?

Also guys, I've been reading a lot of stuff that says the dealer installed security system is total crap and that it is a waste of money, but I don't want an aftermarket security system with a control fob that is the size of a buick. What options do I have? Remote start (I'm getting a manual transmission, can't stand auto), trunk release, features like that have to be included. But I also want a system that integrates with the car, I hate the aftermarket work people do that makes some accessories look like they never belonged in the car.

And what wrong with the sport steering wheel w/ controls? If I get that from the dealer, will the steering controls still work with an aftermarket audio system? Or is it a "one or the other" kind of thing?
Old 07-25-2005, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

[quote="Tsunami"]
And what wrong with the sport steering wheel w/ controls? If I get that from the dealer, will the steering controls still work with an aftermarket audio system? Or is it a "one or the other" kind of thing?
whats wrong with it ?

if you get the sport wheel.. YOU DO NOT get the steering wheel controls.. the sport steering wheel DOES NOT have controls on it
Old 07-25-2005, 02:59 AM
5 Year Member

[quote="Soon2BxB"]
Originally Posted by Tsunami
whats wrong with it ?

if you get the sport wheel.. YOU DO NOT get the steering wheel controls.. the sport steering wheel DOES NOT have controls on it
Must have misunderstood, I was referring the dealer installed wheel with the audio controls. Will they still work with an aftermarket system?
Old 07-25-2005, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

[quote="Tsunami"]
Originally Posted by Soon2BxB
whats wrong with it ?

Must have misunderstood, I was referring the dealer installed wheel with the audio controls. Will they still work with an aftermarket system?
uhmm if its an ECLIPSE unit it should ... other units it would have to be wired in .. but it is possible to get it to work
Old 07-25-2005, 06:04 AM
5 Year Member

[quote="Soon2BxB"]
Originally Posted by Soon2BxB
whats wrong with it ?

uhmm if its an ECLIPSE unit it should ... other units it would have to be wired in .. but it is possible to get it to work
Thanks man, and thanks to the guy who posted the installed Eclipse picture.

I have three more questions as a person who has never really customized a car....

1) How do you find a "good" installer that isn't going to do some half assed job installing equipment. I've seen pictures of people taking their car to radio/gps installers and coming out with a damaged dash board and crappily (it's a word if I say so) installed tech that doesn't work.

2) I've seen pictures of people changing all of their instrument panels from the standard color to a blue Jetta-ish color. Is this change as complicated as it sounds? Are there companies that will do it for you? Also, I've seen 15 different kids of HID kits for the TC, some look great, some are overpriced, and some look like crap. Is there a recommended kit for the TC?

3) Is the dealer installed alarm system as bad as it sounds? What's a great after-market alternative. I would like remote start, trunk opening... blah,blah,blah. But I don't want a huge controller the size of a brick in my pocket. Ideas?

Thanks guys, you've all been really cool and helped me decide on a TC over a new Jetta. Too bad some of the people on the other Scion sites don't bother answering any questions, because I think a lot of people just need that reassurance from other TC owners before they make the leap and buy a Scion.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had Al & Ed's Autosound in Lawndale (Los Angeles) do the install-- they did a great job, except for the fact that they forgot to connect the speed sensor--it was okay though b/c they stand behind their work... I might have paid a little more than what some others pay for the install, but I thought they did a good job and I thought the price was fair.

I would suggest trying to find a reputuable custom shop in your area--check message boards (try the regional boards here on scionlife)-- also, don't have this done at a best buy or circuit city--this is a job you probably don't want them doing...

As far as the LEDs, someone else will have ot address thath as I haven't done those...

I don't mind the factory alarm: the alarms for me aren't that big of a deal anyway since not many people pay attention to them anymore. Besides, the car comes standard w/ an engine demobilizer. If you want an aftermarket alarm I don't know much about them so hopefully someone else can chime in (or do a search)

Hope this helps...
Old 08-10-2005, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member

in response to the question about the steering wheel controls, no they will not "work " with any type of aftermarket deck, that being a direct quote from the folks at pioneer, HOWEVER, they did mention trying to talk to the dealership to see if they had any kind of mounting hardware that would do the trick. i was wondering the same thing myself, i wanted to put an aftermarket DVD deck in and wondered if the steering wheel controls would work. so yeah that kind of burst my bubble, but maybe there is hope.