Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Ordering a 2006 tC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Ordering a 2006 tC?

Alrighty! there's a bunch of related threads around with information *about* the 2006 tCs, but none of them are totally appropriate, maybe, for discussing the trials and hows and wherefores and waiting of ordering a 2006 tC, which went into production on May 16, 2005.

So I thought I'd start this thread.

Are ya trying to order one? Have ya already ordered one? what's your story/frustration today?

Here're the related threads that I've been watching:
2006 TC Release Date IPOD
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55456

Scion Vehicle Changes for 2006
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...683&highlight=

Those threads are how I found out that the 2006s were on their way and how I got all excited to wait for one of those rather than get an '05 now...

...sigh...

Added 5/31:
More related threads:
Scion announces pricing for 2006 tC!
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=64978
2006 tC Availability in NorCal?
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65960
SUPER detailed changes for 06 [Shadowhawk's note: less directly relevant to tCs]
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65211

Scion's May 25 press release about the 2006 tC's availability in the beginning of June:
http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_li...l?id=20050525b
Old 05-25-2005, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Pulling threads together...

[reposting my May 23, 2005 post from the "2006 TC Release Date Ipod thread", https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...798764#798764]

Hey, so I finally found a dealer who was able to take an order for an '06 (Nautical Blue).

Now, I'm just second-guessing myself, 'cause seriously, I knew more from reading this thread and this other thread
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...r=asc&start=75
than the salesperson seemed to, which I'd also been led to expect via these forums.

However, even after taking the order, he was thinking that it might not arrive until September, maybe August... *maybe* July--that, frankly, he just didn't know.

And then, in light of what Jumbo said about Toyota possibly holding onto the '06s till the dealers' stock of '05s goes down... should I have looked for a dealer who didn't have any '05s left? 'Cause this dealer had *two* RS 1.0s on the lot, plus at least one "normal" one (a Flint Mica)...

...though I *did* kinda gamble on the Nautical Blue (Black Cherry Pearl was a close second), thinking maybe that the sole availability of that color being on the '06 might somehow accelerate its arrival...

Any thoughts from dealers on here on factors that could get me a car faster?
Old 05-25-2005, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Weaving the threads together...still

[reposting my May 24, 2005 post from the "2006 TC Release Date IPOD" thread, https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...798764#798764]

Originally Posted by c_rowe
We've already been allocated a 2006 tC in the new Nautical Blue color, my thinking is that they will be available sometime in mid-June.

SWEET!!!

Here's hoping my dealer's just like your dealership!

Er... what factors would influence that kind of thing? Am I more likely out of luck if my dealer's got, say, 2 RS1.0 tCs and an '05 flint mica one on their lot?

[snipped parts that don't apply to this thread]
Old 05-25-2005, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's my feeling on the whole 2006 tC issue:

The cars began production in Japan several days ago (supposedly). You're probably looking at a minimum of 12 weeks from that date until they start to hit the US. The standard for beginning the new model year is August-October (which is in line with the 12-week estimate). So why rush? Why not wait and see exactly what the new blue color will look like in person before you slap down a deposit?

There are very few variables for which you can control that are going to make any REAL difference in how long it takes for you to get your car. Every dealer is going to tell you that he can get it faster than anyone else, that he has some sort of hook-up. They don't. The only thing that you can really do to speed up your purchase is (once the 06s are available in the US), searching every dealership (by phone or in person) within 100 miles to see who has one in stock.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

my situation is that my car had a melt-down, and now I'm driving a stand-in car that I don't completely trust not to break down... a car immediately would be ideal in terms of being able to relax about my transportation, but I'm loathe to get something when I know something just like it but with a couple of other really really cool features is just around the corner...

...on the other hand, the sooner I get something the better... and if I can make set it up so that I get it ASAP rather than have ones just arrive to the lot, see them, maybe they're earmarked for someone else, and *then* place an order that might take another couple of months to be fulfilled....

Ah, impatience plus the desire for just that little bit more...

Heh... sounds kinda like a recipe for an ulcer.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey shadow-
Thanks for posting this thread and for the PM. I've gotten a little more info on the 06 tC from a press release on a Mac website (macnn.com) which is probably posted on ScionLife now. Interior changes include an updated head unit, an iPod connectivity option ($260 upgrade) and a standard new three-spoke wheel with audio controls (!). Other minor interior trim options will likely be included as well. MSRP will increase by $200 across the board. I've also heard rumors of a 5-speed automatic replacing the 4-speed, but that wasn't mentioned in the press release.
To answer your availability question, I found out today that our 06 Nautical Blue tC (which we sold yesterday) will arrive in port on May 31st, and probably be on the ground here in Tucson a week to ten days after that. Oddly, we still have some tCs from the 05 model year that are further out, so maybe they are steadily releasing them into the market. Let me know if you have any other questions, and I'll keep cruising the boards to see if there are any I can answer.

Casey
Old 05-25-2005, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member

i called my dealer he said probably sept before you see any 06's so i think i'll just go ahead with the 05, i can't wait that damn long! =P
Old 05-25-2005, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

according to the press release from scion today, the 2006 will start arriving sometime next week, which coincides with what casey just said and someone else in one of the other "2006 tc" threads that they had an approximated date of 6/2 for delivery, along with the dealers all giving approximate dates of june for arrival.

also, all the other dealers on this thread https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=63683 have said that if anyone *orders* a new tc (not buying one straight off the lot) that the order will be for a 2006. i highly doubt that if you placed an order for a new car that you would be waiting till september to receive it. the average wait it seems like when you order new is about 4 weeks, not 4 months.

also, casey, when you get your '06 in, take some pics of the new goodies and the new color cos you know we are all chomping at the bit to see the changes!!
Old 05-25-2005, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah yeah yeah.... Casey, take pics of the nautical blue and post them! BIG pics....

;-)

hmmm... ya know... it occurs to me that even though Jumbo originally posted it as Nautical Blue Metallic, most of the subsequent references have been simply to "Nautical Blue", and this is true of the article as well as the most recent dealer posts.

Is Nautical Blue the only color that's not gonig to have some shiny-ness to it?!

I don't think that's a happy thought.

I'm gonna ask in the Scion Vehicle Changes for 2006 thread...
Old 05-25-2005, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My g/f put down a deposit on a flint mica tC last friday I believe. The dealer said that he will get the car no later than June 20th, but maybe earlier. Would it be likely that she will be getting the '06 or the '05?

thanks.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Vlad
My g/f put down a deposit on a flint mica tC last friday I believe. The dealer said that he will get the car no later than June 20th, but maybe earlier. Would it be likely that she will be getting the '06 or the '05?

thanks.
Hey Vlad-
You'll know by the price she was quoted when she put down her deposit. Base MSRP for the 2006 is rising by $200, so if she ordered an auto tC, base price would be $17,315 for a 2005 and $17,515 for a 2006. Due to the fact that Scion seems to be pulsing the release of the 2006 models, I'd imagine that it would be a 2005. It is likely that you will be able to retrofit the 06 headunit into an 05, so unless the steering wheel audio controls are a big deal, I think you'll be fine either way.

And yes, everyone, I'll post MASSIVE pics of the Nautical Blue tC as soon as it comes in, probably in a couple of weeks since it won't hit the port until 5/31.

Casey
Old 05-26-2005, 02:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Pulsing?

Originally Posted by c_rowe
.... Due to the fact that Scion seems to be pulsing the release of the 2006 models, I'd imagine that it would be a 2005.
What do you mean by "pulsing"? I'm hoping that that doesn't mean variation of release date by "region"... 'cause I'd prefer to think that there wasn't any reason that my car wouldn't be in the process of getting under way to me...

...What region is San Francisco in, by the way, and what states are included?
Old 05-26-2005, 03:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What I meant by pulsing is that they seem to be mixing 06s with 05s in the allocation; in essence 'pulsing' them into the national inventory little bits at a time. Sorry if that was vague :-).

And as far as the regions are concerned, I believe Northern California is its own region, but I'm not sure and will check with our GM tomorrow. For reference, we are in the Denver Region, which includes Arizona, Southern Nevada, New Mexico, Utah and Colorado.

I'm still trying to find out about the rumored 5-speed auto, by the way, and will post as soon as I know something.

Casey
Old 05-26-2005, 04:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

c_rowe thanks for the info..

I was just thinking maybe with the '06 some of the imperfections would not appear.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

maybe the 05s were launched early in 04 (it was june 04 remember) because it was a brand new car. now maybe they are going to push back the date for model year changes to, say, july or august from here on in for the remaining years of the tc.

thought: does anyone know when production of the 05s started? with that info you could probably figure out how long from the first date of production until the first ones arrived here. then just apply the same amount of time from may 16 this year and you should know when the first 06s will appear here.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I ordered an 06 today in Hawaii. The dealer is nearly out of the 05's. I think they have three left, plus a couple of demo's. They said the next shipment should be here sometime in June. But nothing is known for sure. I ordered a Flint automatic with side curtain air bags.

Steve
Old 05-27-2005, 09:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wasnt even willing to wait a couple weeks to get a white tC as opposed to the black that i got. let alone wait for the new one... which only offers a different radio. which i wouldnt care much for the ipod attachment. went to the dealership cuz my car was a pile of ____... walked in... a few hours later drove off the showroom floor with my new toy.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member

Hey Shadowhawk, where'd you order your 2006 tC from? Fremont Toyota?

I'll be ordering a Nautical Blue soon but I'd like to get more info on the 06 changes before I put my money down...
Old 05-27-2005, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i guess i'll be getting one end of this month wee?

would the 05 model drop in price?
Old 05-27-2005, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FedEx my 06 tC overnight now

Quick Reply: Ordering a 2006 tC?