Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Ordering Time Vagueness

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member

Default Ordering Time Vagueness

Howdy people. I just ordered my tC over the weekend. Nautical Blue with manual and side airbags. The dealer told me that this is an uncommon combination (manual and airbag option) so I should expect anywhere from a 6-8 week, maybe even 10 week, wait time for my car. But they told me if one was already on the way to port, it might be quicker. My problem is that the dealer is telling me that it will be two whole weeks before I even know if I have to wait the full 10 weeks or not. I wish I could just get an answer as to whether the car needs to be manufacturered or not. I just sold my Infiniti G35 (don't ask) and don't know if I have to turn in my tags or if I can wait and transfer them to the tC. That way the cost of registration would be much less. I think that if I hold on the tags I have to keep insurance on the car that I don't own anymore or I have to turn the tags in. That sucks because if I transfer the tags, I would have to pay very little if anything at all to register the tC.

Is this normal? Should I have to wait 2 weeks to get an answer as to when my car will coming in? Shouldn't Toyota have an answer for the dealer within a day or two of ordering the car?

BTW(If you DID ask)...I'm selling the G35 Coupe because my job is being outsourced! Woohoo! Instead of being a slave to the man and finding another job, I'm going to law school. By selling the G35, I can pay cash for the tC and have a sweet ride to take me through the next few years without any car payment. It's kinda funny, but some of the other G35 guys that I know here in Vegas call the tC a "Baby G35 Coupe." It certainly look like it to me!

Glad to be part of the family!

Brian
Old 08-25-2005, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Side Airbag option is low production, something like 25% of all the tC's built. I waited 4 weeks for a 2005 Azure Pearl (low production color), 5 speed (low production) and the Side Airbags. They should know what's alloted to them something like the 1st and the 15th or so and they can preference a certain car to come. Hopefully you won't be waiting 10 weeks, they were probably just telling you the worst case scenario.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member

on the 1st and 16th of every month is when the dealerships find out what is at the port and how fast they can get it to you. so waiting 2 weeks to know isnt bad...I am already on my fifth week
Old 08-26-2005, 02:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Word, don't get me going...

I ordered Auto w/SAB in the middle of July. I've been waiting 6 weeks this Friday. It is supposedly in port and in town this Monday.

I was originally told 4 weeks, but that was "shooting high," and would most likely be 3 weeks. Well, not the case...

At least your guy is shooting really high! And with your combo, he's probably not exaggerating.

It is true though, SABs are in low production because most of these kids would rather spend $650 on other fun things.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

go to another dealer, i waited 2 weeks for mine
Old 08-26-2005, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

yeah the truth is that Toyota doesn't have enough supply to meet the demand... most of the dealers out there are really hurting for cars.

this is how I understand it to go down the way the dealers get their cars.(or I should say at least this is the way SET South East Toyota does it) when the cars get to port in Jacksonville FL they are set in a lot where dealers get to make a grab or pick at the car selection that is offered. now if your lucky they (when a shipment comes in) can get the car for you that you want...or they can get a base model and add the options you want...if not. then they have to actually order the car with Toyota. and that’s a pain in the butt. I've been to dealers where the Scion people end up Begging on the phone to get what cars they can. but the problem seems to be that no one is willing to give up the scions they own. or trade for other Toyotas. so the wait that everyone is having is just part of the deal that’s got to happen for you to get what you want.... believe you me, the dealership is doing all they can to get you in that car. you just got to be patient and give them a little brake because it's not their fault that Toyotas running so far behind.

you also have to look at if from a business standpoint...this whole "scion" thing is a completely new business model its such a young form they are still working out the kinks...this type of thing has never been done in the automotive industry ever before...so my advice is just to give it some time...and remember that (in most cases the dealership is there to help you)...

just my $20.00
Old 08-26-2005, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member

I'm not opposed to waiting for the exact car that I want. It's not like I'm going to pay any more or less. The two times that I went to the Scion dealer, they only had one tC on the lot other than the demo car. The sales guy says that they cannot keep any inventory because they sell every one as soon as it hits the lot and that most of the ones that they receive are to fill customer's orders.

Toyota needs to get more production capacity. The tC has been out for a while now and I only see a few on the road. If every Scion dealer in Vegas is selling the cars so quickly that they can't keep any inventory, there should be alot more on the road. But that does not seem to be the case.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by scoobybri
I'm not opposed to waiting for the exact car that I want. It's not like I'm going to pay any more or less. The two times that I went to the Scion dealer, they only had one tC on the lot other than the demo car. The sales guy says that they cannot keep any inventory because they sell every one as soon as it hits the lot and that most of the ones that they receive are to fill customer's orders.

Toyota needs to get more production capacity. The tC has been out for a while now and I only see a few on the road. If every Scion dealer in Vegas is selling the cars so quickly that they can't keep any inventory, there should be alot more on the road. But that does not seem to be the case.

actualy Toyota thinks the same way you do. as far as I know they are in the beginings of placing a production plant in Canada right now. so within a year or 2 theres should be enough scions for everyone. just as of now, b/c of the cars having to be shipped half way around the world, Its taking longer than it needs to...