2005-2010 [ANT10]

Question: Front License Plate CALIFORNIA

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 07:03 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Question: Front License Plate CALIFORNIA

I was wondering since people dont really like the front license plate and its illegal to not have it... Would if be legal if I take it off and put it on my front dash? sticking out the window?

ty!
Old 07-25-2005, 07:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im so glad that here in kansas we don't have to have front plates
Old 07-25-2005, 07:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

ive seen lots of ppl do it; it really depends on where ur at.. in L.A . for example..i would keep it in place; the red-light-camera-enforcing cops will be all over ur @ss.. also consider the car you drive; w/a tC.. i'd be worried, not so much w/an xA or maybe an xB....

though (knock on wood) i dont wear a front plate; it's because im not "glitz and glamour eye catching" yet...
*disclaimer*
so do it at your own risk*
Old 07-25-2005, 08:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The vehicle code is vague as to allowable placements, but nowhere does it state that it must be displayed in the OEM location on the bumper-- just that it must be "Clearly visible from the front of the vehicle.

So no matter what, you take the gamble if you don't bolt it to the the bumper. The fine will run you $65-80 depending on the locality, and it isn't a moving violation or a fix-it-- it's just a straight fine. Pay it and be on your way.

I ran my front plate on the dash in my Honda, and never got hassled about it, and ran no front plate at all in my older Mitsu for about 8 years with no hassles either. But it just takes that one bad day...
Old 07-25-2005, 08:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had no front plate on my eclipse for the 3 and a half years that i owned it, and never got a ticket for it. the only thing that did happen, was i spun out on a freeway offramp into some mud on a rainy day, and some passing patrollers pulled over to see if i was alright. there was no damage to me or my car, but they waited with me till the tow truck came anyway. as i was driving away, one of the officers said "dont forget your front plate next time, parntner" i was kinda embarassed, but still went without one anyway. i absolutely HATE front plates on 90% of cars, and the eclipse's front end is absolutely RUINED with a plate.

anyway, with my tC, the dealership was kind enough to drill two gigantic holes in my front bumper for the plates, so now i have no choice. i still hate the front plate, but i will admit it doesnt look as ungodly bad as it did on the eclipse. i'd prefer not to have it on, and i probably wouldnt ever get a ticket for it anyway, but looks like i dont have a choice. =/
Old 07-25-2005, 08:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by cfusionpm
i had no front plate on my eclipse for the 3 and a half years that i owned it, and never got a ticket for it. the only thing that did happen, was i spun out on a freeway offramp into some mud on a rainy day, and some passing patrollers pulled over to see if i was alright. there was no damage to me or my car, but they waited with me till the tow truck came anyway. as i was driving away, one of the officers said "dont forget your front plate next time, parntner" i was kinda embarassed, but still went without one anyway. i absolutely HATE front plates on 90% of cars, and the eclipse's front end is absolutely RUINED with a plate.

anyway, with my tC, the dealership was kind enough to drill two gigantic holes in my front bumper for the plates, so now i have no choice. i still hate the front plate, but i will admit it doesnt look as ungodly bad as it did on the eclipse. i'd prefer not to have it on, and i probably wouldnt ever get a ticket for it anyway, but looks like i dont have a choice. =/
If theres a will, theres a way.

www.bumperplugs.com
Old 07-25-2005, 08:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It depends on your car and/or mods. I see BMWs, Mercedes, Hummers, etc with no front plates on them. If your car has tint on the driver/passenger sides or other mods, and no front plate, then you're just asking for trouble. First, they will bust you for no front plate, then they will bust you for the illegal mods you have. Like crayonBOX said it depends if your ride is "glitz and glamour eye catching".
Old 07-25-2005, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, those tC dealers use 1" diameter drill bits to do the front plate mount holes. Might as well buy a new body kit for it.

Tint windows will get you noticed right away, but I still wanna do it.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my car was delivered to me with the dealers plate on the front. I sent the whole car back and told them that I didn't need a front plate (in PA) and I didn't appreciate them drilling wholes in my bumper without permission. So 1 week later I got my car back hole free.