Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Sunroof stop working?

Old 06-25-2010, 12:36 AM

Default Sunroof stop working?

I have a 2005 tC and my sunroof just stopped working. I just wondered if anyone else had had this problem and how expensive it is to fix. I miss my sunroof but worry it's gonna be ridiculously costly to fix.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is it under extended warranty? If not, bring it to the dealership and see what they charge. Then maybe compare to another sunroof company. You'll have to drive around and get some quotes.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

have you tried disconnecting youir car battery and reconnecting it and then holding hte close button for like 10 seconds on the sunroof and open?
Old 06-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Banned
SL Member

Did you disconnect the ground from the battery(for 5-10 mins) and try to reset everything yet?
Old 06-25-2010, 09:04 PM

Sorry guys, wouldn't even know how to disconnect the battery - typical girlie girl here that knows nothing about what's under the hood lol. My friend's brother looked at it and he told me not to touch it again because he was afraid the glass would shatter (it barely goes up a little on one side - he said it looked like one of the motors was out). Not covered by extended warranty either. Just wanting to get an idea of how much it might cost - is the dealership my only option for fixing or could a cheaper mechanic handle a job like this? This is the first (well second, my key broke recently and had to pay almost $300 to replace!) thing that's gone wrong with my tC and I've had it since '06. Since it was so expensive to replace the key, I'm scared the sunroof will be outrageous. Don't wanna get taken advantage of at the dealership either if I can get it fixed cheaper some other way. Any advice or input is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Julie
Old 06-25-2010, 10:35 PM
Banned
SL Member

300 for a key with the feature the scion tc comes with it something anti on key I forget what its called but. But 300 is a legit price for it.

You need a Socket wrench and the right size socket. loosen the negative side of the battery. then pull the wire up and off the battery ( BE VERY CAREFUL WITH IT DONT LET IT TOUCH ANYTHING!!!!) you can bend it and it will stay out of the way of any metal contact or you can hold it there. I do a lot of car audio, Leds and etc so Ive done this plenty of time. Where I put the negative back on the battery to quickly ( you should wait 5-10 mins). Then you will need to rest your power windows and your sunroof. You hold the close button on the sun roof (forward position) for 3-10 secs and you should hear the motor inside make a noise as if it was closing. and do that to your power windows also.

If you need any more help just let us know.

Also your car might die on the first start up, Dont worry thats normal. Also you might notice a sightly low RPM idle that may feel as your car might die. I havent found a fix to that but I know once I reset everything then I drive it for about a mile it stops.