Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Best springs for Performance? (Auto-X)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont see those working any better than springs because really all they do is adjust ride hight, like when you lift the car off the ground you can wobble the spring around freely so basically there would be no type of preload on them. do you get what im tryin to say? i know you cant really preload a regular spring but the amount of trave that normal springs have allows it to sit firm on the base of the strut. and the ground control sleeve coil has a shorter spring. i dont know what kind of spring rates they have but i do know that they are bouncy as hell. some of the honda guys in my town run them.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by speedintc
i dont see those working any better than springs because really all they do is adjust ride hight, like when you lift the car off the ground you can wobble the spring around freely so basically there would be no type of preload on them. do you get what im tryin to say? i know you cant really preload a regular spring but the amount of trave that normal springs have allows it to sit firm on the base of the strut. and the ground control sleeve coil has a shorter spring. i dont know what kind of spring rates they have but i do know that they are bouncy as hell. some of the honda guys in my town run them.
I think the ride height adjustment would be a good thing. Hmm, I don't quite understand about the preload thing, but I do understand the bit about the springs being shorter. Maybe those who have had them bouncy have had them extremely underdamped? That would cause bounciness, but my upgraded shocks may be able to handle that?
Old 05-26-2010, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think what he means by preload is that the spring is already partially compressed. 'Sleeve' coilovers just simply put a threaded sleeve over your existing strut that basically allows you to adjust the bottom height of the spring.

Skunk2 is a pretty famous brand for doing this and is popular for Civic owners.

Personally, I wouldnt trust them in hard driving as I'd be afraid the sleeve might slip.

If you go coilovers (and not springs) by a real coilover like a Tein or ksport (despite its reputation) because at least they're true coilovers.

But it seems the general consensus here so far is the Eibach's for ride height. You could probably call them and find out the spring rates.

I mean heck...anything is better than stock.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by djspectre
I think what he means by preload is that the spring is already partially compressed. 'Sleeve' coilovers just simply put a threaded sleeve over your existing strut that basically allows you to adjust the bottom height of the spring.

Skunk2 is a pretty famous brand for doing this and is popular for Civic owners.

Personally, I wouldnt trust them in hard driving as I'd be afraid the sleeve might slip.

If you go coilovers (and not springs) by a real coilover like a Tein or ksport (despite its reputation) because at least they're true coilovers.

But it seems the general consensus here so far is the Eibach's for ride height. You could probably call them and find out the spring rates.

I mean heck...anything is better than stock.
Cool, good to know about the sleeves.

I've been wanting coilovers, but they're so much money. If I went coils, I would want the SSPs for the damping adjustment and camber plates. The JIC ones look promising also. And believe me...K-Sports are NOT good coilovers for performance. Thorium06 has them, and they don't do great in auto-x.

TRD, H&R and Eibach are all similar heights, all reasonable for good performance. Ack said that the H&R are too soft, so it's between TRD and Eibach?
Old 05-26-2010, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont kno anything about the k-sports. i have megan racing and they suite me perfectly fine. but yea if your gonna get springs i would go with the eibachs i had trd springs before and i did fine with them on the autox course but it still looked like a rock crawler with them so then i went to s-techs which were horrible for handling if you ask me. but now my current setup is megan coils, dan gardner sway, dan gardner rpf1's with hankook ventus v12 evos i will be hitting the road course this weekend to see what is really good the setup
Old 05-27-2010, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by speedintc
i dont kno anything about the k-sports. i have megan racing and they suite me perfectly fine. but yea if your gonna get springs i would go with the eibachs i had trd springs before and i did fine with them on the autox course but it still looked like a rock crawler with them so then i went to s-techs which were horrible for handling if you ask me. but now my current setup is megan coils, dan gardner sway, dan gardner rpf1's with hankook ventus v12 evos i will be hitting the road course this weekend to see what is really good the setup
K-Sports are crap from what I've witnessed at local auto-x. Megans are not bad, Thorium06's dad has them on his TL and they do well. Sounds like a pretty decent setup you have there (I'm installing the DG bar as well). Just get some Direzza Star Specs for track/auto-x, they're amazing :D

Yeah, I don't want it to look like a rock crawler. 1.5in seems like a good compromise for the looks/handling. Eibach seems to be .1 inches higher than the TRD (~1.3) at 1.2in.

Last edited by pinoyFMtC; 05-27-2010 at 03:44 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha yea i kno there are alot better brands than megan but for the money i had when i bought them i have absolutly no complaints. they are plenty stiff but next i want somethin with external resivors. its gonna turn into a track beast once i get another vehicle to drive.