Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Is it possible to ugrade ones rotors to that of a toyota truck or toyota supra.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 11:49 AM
SL Member

Default Is it possible to ugrade ones rotors to that of a toyota truck or toyota supra.

i have been looking around awhile at big brake kit and have noticed that they are very pretty, i want.

However there is the problem of cost to start with they cost at least 1000 dollar and after that you have to think about replacement pads and discs, seeing as they are not likely to be sold in your local auto zone ect.

so it was then i thought of a great plan, but before i got to excited i thought i would post it on here with more mind and knowledge involved the plan would be that much more cunning.

how about using the rotors and disc from a Toyota with larger brakes than a scion Tc and rotors. i found some reasonable one on my search around the internet and they seemed to be a good price from 100 to 300 for a pair of used calipers.

My question to the scion community is what unknown problems may i face when trying this conversion, has anyone done a conversion and what is the best Toyota brake in terms of performance.

With my existing knowledge i know the main issue would be finding or fabricating a rotor bracket and may buying getting extra long brake lines.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Banned
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have no clue about any of those, the only compatible BBK/Brake's that'll fit the TC would be the Celica
Old 03-11-2011, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think there is a thread on SL where someone fabd porsche calipers... do a search for it pretty cool
I would but I'm on my phone
Old 03-11-2011, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if someone made an adapter, i'm sure its possible. the 7th gen celica and the tC share the same front brakes. the 7th gen celica has been out since 1999 (as a 2000 model) and those guys have yet to make a supra brake conversion. there's rumors someone used IS300 brake calipers, but I haven't seen proof. some 7th gen celica guys have used JDM 6th gen (st205) celica gt4 2 piston calipers, which I presume would fit our cars. good luck finding those calipers lol.

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/show....php?p=4894391
http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=287452
Old 03-11-2011, 04:36 PM
SL Member

are these the rotors you are describing i lived in the uk most of my life and they had a few of those GT4 celica s sweet cars.

("celica guys have used JDM 6th gen (st205) celica gt4 2 piston calipers, which I presume would fit our cars. good luck finding those calipers lol")

if these brakes fit that would be sweet. Any one know for sure if the would?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-99...Q5fAccessories

i think i found the porche brakes that aparreira9586 was talking about looks nice

http://clubsciontc.com/forums/sale-t...ake-kit-36884/
Old 03-13-2011, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thought i would chime in here, I am the one selling the brackets to fit the porsche calipers. anyways...

The st205 celica 4 pistons brakes in the pic above do bolt on to the tc, i had purchased a set to try and use them, the biggest issue with them was finding a rotor to work with them. On the celica they use a 315x32mm rotor, when bolted to the tc you would need a rotor that is no larger than 300mm diameter. then you would also need to make sure the depth of the rotors is exactly what you need. It ends up being quite a hassle.

Here is a link to a celica forum where the issues with the celica calipers pretty apparent.

http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewto...20216&start=60
Old 03-13-2011, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh and here is a link for you to see the info on the porsche caliper brackets

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...=196661&page=2
Old 03-13-2011, 07:50 PM
SL Member

Thanks for the link. Looks like. A nice challange fairly hit and miss
How did your porche set up turn out. Any problems with fittment.
You should mass produce the bracket
Old 03-13-2011, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the porsche caliper works perfect, the only thing you do away with is the dust shield. Oh and i have "mass" produced brackets, at least i have about 10 sets ready to go to anyone who want them.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:44 PM
SL Member

I should have looked more you have a nice Research and development type thread i shall follow closely.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=196661

Consider doing brackets for other calipers would very interested price is a bit of an issue when you start talking about Porsche, although it would be dam cool to say i have Porsche brakes on my scion. i know alot of the vw guys do the Porsche brake up grades
Old 03-14-2011, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well the price of the porsche calipers is not nearly as much as people think you can get them anywhere from 250-500 dollars for the set I have a set now that i got for about 300 shipped. pads for them are about 50 dollars. As far as leaving the porsche logo on that is up to you, It would look a bit tacky. On as far as fitting other calipers there really is no other caliper that has the correct piston sizes to work properly with the tc, believe me I have looked at all the oem 4 piston calipers on other cars, and the only other ones you could get away with are from an aston martin or possibly the rear calipers on a porsche 997 turbo.

There is a set of stoptechs on ebay right now that would work as well for about 400
Old 03-15-2011, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's a good price. I'm sure the braking performance is significantly better too.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Titanium2k2
That's a good price. I'm sure the braking performance is significantly better too.
Do you mean the brake performance of the stoptech calipers will be better than say the porsche brembo calipers or just better than stock?

Weight wise the stoptech calipers are a little heavier not but much though. According to stoptech their caliper is stiffer than brembo calipers. Being that they are 2 piece vs monoblock calipers. Of course how much of this will your average driver notice for mostly street driven cars, None. The biggest benefit I see of the stoptech caliper over the porsche brembo units is the brake pad size.

The pad on the stoptech caliper is shorter allowing you to have a smaller annulus on the disc which means it will weight less. However as with anything better your cost is about 1000 dollars for stoptech two piece units that weight about 17 lbs vs the 22ish lbs and about 200 dollars for the a
one piece rotor to fit the porsche caliper.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm referring to performance vs. stock. I agree with you that the average driver probably wouldn't be able to notice the difference between either BBK setup, but if you're tC is more than just a daily driver (track, auto x, etc.) it matters. I've never driven a vehicle with stoptech brakes, but over years of being a memeber of Mitsubishi and Acura forums, they rate near the top.

side note: I have Baer rotors/calipers on my Eclipse and OEM Brembo rotors/calipers on my TL and the setup on my Eclipse out performs the TL in terms of brake feel and stopping power. I'm sure there are too many variables between both vehicles for an "apples to apples" comparison, but it's just what I've noticed.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:42 AM
SL Member

very interesting gtfourtc, i belive you maybe the brake master, have your tested out the Porsche brakes on the tc yet?
Old 03-16-2011, 05:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

master not quite, lol I do like brake technology though, I also like doing things myself and trying to figure out to make things work properly. On a side note I am doing the brake system design for the University of Kansas FSAE team, its been an interesting process.

and yeah i tested the porsche caliper on my tc. I had the brake kit on for about 8 months (up untill I was rear ended by a semi) I really liked the way it felt. The pedal feel was a little firmer, and i felt there was better modulation. I did some higher speed testing on an empty road one night and above 100 mph there was much more confidence, I believe this was due to the larger brake torque being generated. It was also kinda nice to be able to fit my 16" winter rims on as well since I wasn't using a huge rotor.

I will do it again when i get another project tc, and perhaps the only upgrade i would make would be to use 2 piece subaru sti rotors to save a little weight as the rotors weight about 7-8 lbs more than stock. Calipers are light about 6 lbs each.

here is the original thread of the setup i did for my tc.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...ghlight=brembo