Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Rear Spoiler Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ProjectTC2
Lookin good man! Is the RS spoiler always black, or is it usually yellow? Either way good choice on the black! No you're not missing an engine cover, new TC's done come with one for some unknown reason. The new camry covers fit them though if you want one, or Descendant makes a CF engine cover, it's a bit pricy though
Thanks ProjectTC2... I've seen them both ways and thought the black looked better in my opinion. Glad to hear they didn't steal my engine cover lol!
Old 06-06-2012, 11:50 PM

Hey, I was wonder after a few months how the 3M tape is holding the spoiler? Im planning on doing the same thing. Thanks!
Old 06-07-2012, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you do the prep work right, it should hold for years. Me personally, I'd take the time and bolt her down for piece of mind. Imagine your spoiler flying off and hitting someone behind you. That's a potential lawsuit and/or could kill someone, not worth the chance imo.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:24 AM

Haha, this is true..but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable taking apart the hatch, and drilling holes in the car
Old 06-07-2012, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Farriz
Hey, I was wonder after a few months how the 3M tape is holding the spoiler? Im planning on doing the same thing. Thanks!
Yeah Dude, holding strong!! I checked it every once in a while when washing the car and she's stuck good!

Clean both sides with some alcohol, put lots of 3m outdoor tape on the spoiler. Do the job when warm, I put mine on after the sun warmed up the trunk.

It will be almost impossible to get it right the first time you try and place it, so don't push it on tightly until after you've got it positioned right. Use some painter or masking tape on the car with mark on it so you know where the centering marks are.

On my first attempt, I was on approach with the spoiler and the left side dipped a little and caught some tape probably only by an inch or so and it was stuck good, had a little panic attack while trying to get it off, but she "POPPED" off with a little persuasion. (Like I said, it was only on with about an inch of tape!).

But yeah, she stuck good and I have no issues with it!
Old 07-10-2013, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tc_Jake
Here are some pics that I promised... rear spoiler went well. The bolt studs were in the mold of the spoiler and would not screw out. So I took a grinder to them and cut them off flush. At this point I sure was hoping that the 3m tape would work because there was no way I was going to bolt this after a tape failure!
I basically covered all spoiler attaching area with the 3m tape, cleaned all areas well with alcohol and premarked centering locations.

I have to admit, every time I tried to position the spoiler, it stuck like an MF'er!! After about 4 attempts and removal, I got it right and she is stuck good!! No flex, no loose fitting, she is stuck good and i have no problem shutting the trunk and for that matter don't need to replace the trunk "modified strut", everything seems to work fine.

Her are the pics with the lower body graphic, rear spoiler and painted exhaust header cover. Just wondering, am I missing any kind of engine cover? I see nipple ends on the head and was wondering if I'm missing a cover. Please let me know if my engine pic looks like yours. Thanks!
im definitely getting this spoiler now and im definitely going to do it with the 3M tape, did you get the modified struts for the hatch with it?
Old 07-11-2013, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Delorean2006
im definitely getting this spoiler now and im definitely going to do it with the 3M tape, did you get the modified struts for the hatch with it?
I didn't get the modified struts. I figured I'd see how the originals worked and replace them later if needed. Actually the spoiler is really light and doesn't effect the hatch staying up at all.

Spoiler is still holding strong! Not a bad way to do it especially if you wanted to remove or replace it with a different style, you won't have a bunch of holes drilled through the trunk.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tc_Jake
I didn't get the modified struts. I figured I'd see how the originals worked and replace them later if needed. Actually the spoiler is really light and doesn't effect the hatch staying up at all.

Spoiler is still holding strong! Not a bad way to do it especially if you wanted to remove or replace it with a different style, you won't have a bunch of holes drilled through the trunk.
Agh that's great to hear definitely can save some money and just good news, banks for that! Just gotta save up a few more dollars and I will be buying one, thanks for the input and your help!
Old 12-30-2015, 03:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

good info on first page
Old 12-30-2015, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member

This thread has been quiet for a while but just a quick update.... it's approaching almost 3 years since I did that spoiler install with the 3M tape and just want to say I never had a problem. It is still stuck very well.

Never needed to upgrade the trunk struts either!
Old 07-25-2020, 08:15 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by dpanda88
When I installed my rear spoiler I had to drill 6 holes.. and sometimes they don't even match up with the holes when you try to screw it on...... it's a lot of work.. and the holes will be bigger then expected.

Make sure to buy a touch up pen to prevent the rust from drilling.
what equipment and screws did u had to buy i just bought double sided tape to install n regret it