Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

3rd and 4th gear issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 02:04 AM
SL Member

Default 3rd and 4th gear issue?

Was driving my 2013 tC this morning and noticed when shifting into 3rd and 4th there was, what felt like, a little resistance when going into the gates. I was shifting casually at about 2500 rpms. Didn't make an audible grind, just feels kinda rough going into the gate.

Now when I shift it at rpms above 4k it doesn't do it going into 3rd and 4th. Doesn't have to be wide open throttle either, just above 4k it is smooth going in.

Anyone else experience this going into 3rd and 4th casually at low rpms/normal driving, shifting? It's a 2013 with 12k miles. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i find that this car's trans is a bit odd at times. i want to say yes i have experienced the resistance in some gears but cannot say exactly which ones. it really seems random at times.
1st gear can definitely get stuck though. sometimes you can't even go into it unless you press the clutch a few times.

another thing i noticed is the vague shift gates in 5th and 6th. do you sometimes have trouble engaging those gears all the way? i mean it happens rarely but sometimes i quickly shift to those gears and apparently do not force it in as much as i should and end up with the shifter not all the way in the shift gate. this causes the trans to smoke a bit (possibly burning clutch. no visible smoke but you will smell it). happens rarely but i dislike it. i feel like a weighted shift **** might help but i am not sure.

also once or twice my car just randomly started to give off the burnt clutch smell out of nowhere while driving. as if it slips out of gear somehow on its own while in 6th at cruising speed during bends. you can't feel anything wrong but the smell just appears and you go WTF and you have to re-engage 6th gear again. even happen to you?
my car is 14,000miles right now. the latter only happened once or twice.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

and that last bit is so weird too, you would shift into 6th and cruise for 10-20 mins everything fine then randomly burnt smell. so you have to re-engage 6th again. luckily it does not happen often. maybe it was just some freak accidental or unlucky stuff with my car. i don't understand how that can even happen on a car that has a healthy clutch and trans.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:51 PM
SL Member

I too drive a 2013 with 12,000 miles and I've never had any issues at all with my manual transmission. I've seen many posts about the manuals in these cars having problems but mine has given me no flack at all (yet). Maybe you all need to learn to drive stick ;) just kidding
Old 11-27-2013, 03:10 PM
SL Member

Haha. I'm sure my YouTube vids prove my rowing abilities
Old 11-27-2013, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah maybe its all just driver error in the end haha
I can't say i am amazing at it.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:10 PM
SL Member

It's hard to find a transmission that feels great after the 04 S2000. Carbon fiber synchros are just amazing
Old 11-27-2013, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Super smooth shifting i assume compared to this tC?
Old 11-27-2013, 05:47 PM
SL Member

Was pretty nice. My 08 si wasn't as good as the tC. The si trannies are overrated in the magazines.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:32 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Newman
i find that this car's trans is a bit odd at times. i want to say yes i have experienced the resistance in some gears but cannot say exactly which ones. it really seems random at times.
1st gear can definitely get stuck though. sometimes you can't even go into it unless you press the clutch a few times.

another thing i noticed is the vague shift gates in 5th and 6th. do you sometimes have trouble engaging those gears all the way? i mean it happens rarely but sometimes i quickly shift to those gears and apparently do not force it in as much as i should and end up with the shifter not all the way in the shift gate. this causes the trans to smoke a bit (possibly burning clutch. no visible smoke but you will smell it). happens rarely but i dislike it. i feel like a weighted shift **** might help but i am not sure.

also once or twice my car just randomly started to give off the burnt clutch smell out of nowhere while driving. as if it slips out of gear somehow on its own while in 6th at cruising speed during bends. you can't feel anything wrong but the smell just appears and you go WTF and you have to re-engage 6th gear again. even happen to you?
How you said early in this post that 1st is hard to get into sometimes. Just make sure you're always in 1st gear when coming to a stop (clutch doesn't need to be engaged, just coasting with 1st selected, clutch in). This will guarantee the 1st gears synchro is perfectly lined up so when you're ready to take off, you never chance having to ram the shifter into 1st gear's gate. I hope I explained that well enough
Old 11-28-2013, 01:45 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Newman

Nothing this crazy....wow
Old 11-28-2013, 04:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine has trouble going into 5th at times. Even with the clutch pressed down it still grinds.
On 1st I also have to punch the clutch 2x on some occasions.
I think this transmission lacks quality. I've had 3 manual cars before
2007 VW GTI 2.0T, 2001 VW GOLF 1.8T and a 2002 Mustang GT 4.6L with very solid Transmissons. This TC sucks compared to my previous cars but I can't complain because
A. Doesn't burn oil every 2, 500 miles like the VW
B. Haven't had 1 single CEL. The VWs always needed to be at the shop
C. It saves me a lot of gas & its light weight. The Mustang was a gas guzzler and felt so heavy

So I'm glad I got into a Toyota
Old 11-28-2013, 05:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

13.5k miles, driving in cold ___ weather, no issues other than stiff shifting in frozen temps. I hope I continue to experience positive experiences but no gaurantees.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know i described a bunch of BS above, but other than those very few times i had a little trouble w/ it, it has been a fun car to drive. i wouldn't rate the trans as amazing, but it's ok and it is very beginner friendly.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^I agree this is a fun car to drive, thats why I've had a tC for 7 years.

I think my syncros are bad going into 4th. Its real spongy feeling, no grinding.
It only does it if i'm accelerating hard and shifting into fourth. I.E. Merging on a highway quickly. I'm thinking about removing my TRD Shortshifter (and bushings) for a month to see if I notice a change.
I'm hesitant to take it in because it does not do it all the time. Plus going 4,000 RPM in 4th gear is speeding ^_^. This is definitely not the first thread about a weird transmission on a tC lol.