Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Product development for the 2011 tC coming soon at TWM Performance!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TWM_Performance
Hands down the best Short Shifters and Shift ***** on the planet!
While I'm sure that is a completely objective assessment, I will be happy to verify it as soon as it becomes available. :-)

Now if you want someone to test one if your shifters who can put it through it's paces now, rather than having to wait til the snow thaws, gimme a holler. ;-)
Old 01-26-2011, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any update on this? Really want to get a short shifter already lol
Old 01-26-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Papa_Bear
Any update on this? Really want to get a short shifter already lol

Me to
Old 01-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We'll have our test car in today to install the final version of the short shifter. We'll keep you guys updated!

Frank
Team TWM Performance
Old 01-26-2011, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is what I have been waiting for! I can't stand the stick shifter.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by durp
This is what I have been waiting for! I can't stand the stick shifter.
x2 on that. I </3 the stock shifter
Old 01-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Testing went very well yesterday, we have to process a few pictures and videos to show you guys the results! Stay tuned for a pre-order offer soon
Old 01-27-2011, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Received my bushings. Should be installing the cable bushings tonight, maybe the base bushings over the weekend if I find time and space

Thanks to the TWM team, i'll give some feedback soon
Old 01-28-2011, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We are one step closer to final production here people! My "tester" will be here tomorrow according to UPS, so that means install and review this weekend!

Stay tuned!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just checked the twm website and saw that the 2011 tC short shifter was now available for pre-order.

http://www.twmperformance.com/shorts...rtshifters.htm

when you say 'pre-order offer', is that the $20 discount of the 'introduction price'?
Old 02-01-2011, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^Good eye.

My tester just arrived yesterday. Here's a teaser of the tester.

Lots of goodies inside this box!

Also a set of bronze oil bushings to seal the deal. These should offer a significant improvement over stock rubber.

I should have this installed by the end of the week for those patiently waiting.

Stay tuned.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the bronze bushings AND base bushings... I want that short shifter!!
Old 02-02-2011, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What do the base bushings add?

In any case, mine is on order... So hurry up with the "testing" 1stOne!!! Patience is not one of my strengths...

Last edited by MightyP; 02-02-2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Update
Old 02-07-2011, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MightyP

In any case, mine is on order... So hurry up with the "testing" 1stOne!!! Patience is not one of my strengths...
Congrats on the purchase!

Unfortunately guys, I have some bad news. Not about the shifter, but about the car. In this case, I'll let the pictures do the talking...

Doesn't look bad, but this is easily $2000+ worth of damage. The quarter panel is pushed in about 2-3 inches and creased all the way back. Back of the door is bent in and the paint is cracked all around. Oh, and the wheel is scratched too! All thanks to an inconsiderate driver in Mississauga who decided to use a "park by feel" approach to driving. Best of all, they left the scene without even a mention of who the artist of this masterpiece was! So, I'm now stuck with the bill...

Either way, this puts the car out for a little as it goes BACK to the body shop due to another idiot driver on the road. I swear, the next person that hits me I am personally cutting their drivers licence in half!

Sorry guys for these delays. As the car goes to the body shop tomorrow, I will be working on coming up with a timely solution to getting this shifter installed, reviewed, and ready for those waiting!

Stay tuned!
Old 02-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi MightyP,

Both cable and base bushings add crispiness to every shift, they remove the slop from side to side when you're in gear and the provide more positive gear engagement.

When we took our test car for the first time, we only swaped the base and cable bushings without telling the owner and he could swear we changed his shifter, for him it was a whole new experience!

Definitely worth it for the results it gives. However, custom base bushings are included with the short shifter, so you will not need those.

Thank you for your interest and let us know if you want to add the cable bushings to your order!

John
Team TWM Performance
sales@twmperformance.com
1-877-655-0540
Old 02-07-2011, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TWM_Performance
Hi MightyP,

Thank you for your interest and let us know if you want to add the cable bushings to your order!

John
Team TWM Performance
sales@twmperformance.com
1-877-655-0540
Thanks, John!

And cable bushings should already be part of my order... Shows I paid for them. Didn't make sense to replace the whole shifter and skimp on the bushings, so I added them. Only thing I'm not yet sold on is a weighted shifter ****.

And if you want to send the shifter early for "testing" since 1stOne can't find a functioning parking space, I'd be happy to help you out.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^Well you should get the ****. Weighted ***** do far more than people expect. Think of leverage and you'll understand why. More weight improves feel and removes stress from the cables/transmission.

I love mine!
Old 02-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, John!

And cable bushings should already be part of my order... Shows I paid for them. Didn't make sense to replace the whole shifter and skimp on the bushings, so I added them. Only thing I'm not yet sold on is a weighted shifter ****.

And if you want to send the shifter early for "testing" since 1stOne can't find a functioning parking space, I'd be happy to help you out.
Just checked your order, and you did order the cable bushings so it's all good!

As for the shift ****, the more weight on it, the easier the shifts are because of the extra weight on top of the lever. Some people prefer the easy and effortless sensation of a weighted shift ****, some people will prefer a lightweight shift **** to feel everything in the shifter. It's a question of personal preference!

Frank
Team TWM Performance
Old 02-15-2011, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry about the delay guys. Its been a busy couple of weeks and with the car in the body shop, I had to find another tC to install this on so I could actually review this part!

Good news, I found a car! Bad news, I didn't get any pictures during the install, only after! Damn!

Anyways, here's the photos to start:

Now, I must say, it doesn't look like much, but what it does is quite impressive! If you look back to my previous post, you'll see that there are a lot of pieces that make up this kit. But don't let that fool you as there are only a few key tools needed to complete the task.

All in all, the instructions are pretty straight forward. Just note that you will need a cutting wheel or a drill to complete one of the steps, so before you order, make sure you have one of these things or check that your local hardware store is having a sale! It makes life a lot easier. But aside from that, simple hand tools and a basic socket set will get this installed in no time.

But, of all things, take your time removing the interior! This is key. A lot of little clips and you'd hate to break one and end up with a rattling interior! Patience is a virtue!

Ok, now, about the shifter.

Well, if you have been driving the stock manual tC for a while now and love how the throw from 3rd to 4th almost puts the shift **** in the lower console, then you make up about 0.01% of the population. For the rest of us, this makes driving the car feel more like driving a bus. One of the best things this shifter accomplishes is relocating the shift pattern. In stock form, 1st gear appears to stand almost perfectly vertical but with the TWM shifter this is pushed forward about 1.5" leaving a much more natural starting position. Neutral has also been set to its proper spot, leaving the lever vertical and centred. Again, for anyone trying to visualize this, imagine neutral where your stock shifter is in 1st or 3rd.

From neutral, the shifter pulls back effortlessly into the bottom gears to a comfortable position about 1.5-2" back from centre (towards the rear of the car). No longer will you smack your elbow against the arm rest in a panic to grab 2nd, 4th, or 6th! This is key for those crisp quick shifts!

Now for the feel. This shifter feels wicked! It is super smooth, super crisp, and incredibly tight and accurate. Its effortless to slide from gear to gear and actually enjoyable to do so. Play from side to side is almost non-existant now as the new bushings (one of the 1.5 billion little parts in the kit) tightens things up for enhanced feel.

The improvement in feel added with the relocation of the actual shifter gate makes for a great all around driving experience. This is the way the car should have come from factory!

Its a little more work then your average shifter, but its a lot more bang for your buck. All the components are new with exception of only a few odds and ends, so in the event you want/need to switch back, your stock parts can easily be reinstalled.

Now, I tested using a stock shift **** and it felt great, but in my own car I have the TWM weighted **** and in any case, I highly suggest it. Not only does it improve the looks, but it also assists in the driving feel. Weight is leverage and every little bit counts! Oh, and if your wondering, the TWM short shifter collar is machined aluminum, so the stainless or aluminum shift ***** would be a great match!

Finally, some more good news...anyone looking to check this out can do so IN PERSON! The shifter was actually installed on the Scion Canada Auto Show Car, which will be open for the public during the 2011 Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto, Ontario from February 18th - 27th. Just play nice as we'd like to see this car leave the show the same way it came in!

Don't live in Toronto? Then you'll just have to take my word on it...this is a great shifter for those looking for a short, crisp shifter feel. A solid improvement over stock!

Hope this helps. As always, my inbox is open if you have any questions.

For those looking to buy, check out:
http://www.twmperformance.com/shorts...rtshifters.htm

Last edited by 1stOne; 02-21-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

great review! quick couple questions:

any modifications to the shift boot? would it be easy to do?
was this review done with cable bushings installed on this 'temp car'?
as for the twm shift **** in your car which one do you have? do you need to get an 'RL' shift **** since the tC has a shift lock for reverse?

thanks!
-Donald

Quick Reply: Product development for the 2011 tC coming soon at TWM Performance!