LED DRL and Turn Signal

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 05:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default LED DRL and Turn Signal

So I was looking at these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-White-A...ht_6940wt_1141

Its an LED with turn signals on the same strip. If I use T-taps on the turn signal positive and used my existing wiring for my DRL strip, will that work? Would I need a relay? Wheres the electrical engineers!
Old 09-07-2012, 12:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It appears that the strip needs only to be connected to the DRL +, Signal + and a ground (The DRL ground in this case). Looking at a site that sells the same product, http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Switch-Back...e_strip_5d.htm, I see generally good reviews with no one mentioning a relay. Looks like you'll be fine with those three connections only.

I would consider a more permanent method of connecting the strip, but the decision is up to you.

Also, I'm not sure if you plan on removing your regular signal bulbs, but if you do, I would assume you'd have a mean case of hyperblink.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Basebllstar
It appears that the strip needs only to be connected to the DRL +, Signal + and a ground (The DRL ground in this case). Looking at a site that sells the same product, http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Switch-Back...e_strip_5d.htm, I see generally good reviews with no one mentioning a relay. Looks like you'll be fine with those three connections only.

I would consider a more permanent method of connecting the strip, but the decision is up to you.

Also, I'm not sure if you plan on removing your regular signal bulbs, but if you do, I would assume you'd have a mean case of hyperblink.
Yea, I'd leave in my regular bulbs. when you saw a more permanent solution, how would you do that? right now my drl's that I have are led strips (but I would take those out, if I got these and just use the wiring) I have an add-a-circuit running through my firewall into my fuse box so the lights turn on as soon as my key is turned to accessories. if I found which fuse is connected to my turn signals, and ran an add-a-circuit off that, would the led strip turn signals blink when the signal is sent to the regular turns?

By the way, I currently have LED bulbs in my turns and I didnt put resistors because I like the speed and look of the hyperblink. Not sure what effect that will have on the led turn strips
Old 09-08-2012, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When i say permanent, I mean no t-taps. Those are no good. Id recomend you take off your current DRL's (Cut em off leaving the wiring) and solder the wires together and then cover with shrink tubing. If they're in an area that could get wet, Ids silicone the ends of the shrink tubing as well so no water can get in.

The LED strips will most likely blink as fast as your regular blinkers. I doubt there's any sort of timing device built into them.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you solder to a DRL+, Signal+, and a Ground then I don't see any reason you would need a relay or add a circuit. Those LED strips pull so little that would hardly make a difference; unless you use like 10 of them all on the same circuit.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My only question is how do I tap into the turn signal +? Just find it on the wiring diagram and soldier into it? Seems kinda scary soldering into the factory wires, any way I can tap into it from the fuse box with an add-a-circuit and still pick up the signal to get them to blink in sync?
Old 09-11-2012, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you might could try a metal shimin the bulb socket? other than that, you're going to hack the harness.