Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

MCH5 aka KidJustin's tC2 | why I can't update the first page... :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ looking in the parts catalog i do not see the rubber gasket your refering to???
Old 08-30-2011, 03:01 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm about 99% sure its a gasket for the MAF sensor since 1) i saw something fall when i pulled it out and 2) it fits perfectly in

...hopefully its not something where i have to get a whole new MAF sensor

how much are those anyways? what if i just got another one and keep one installed in the stock and one in the descendant?..that way all i have to do is unplug and now more unscrewing

...anything bad about that? like is the sensor specific to the car?

anyway,

i'll try to take a picture later tonight...

...unless some awesome member can easily get to one first
Old 08-30-2011, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looking at some stock MAF's we have i see a O-RING that goes on the base of the sensor. that gasket only comes with sensor.....
Old 08-30-2011, 03:56 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ROCKLANDTOYOTA
looking at some stock MAF's we have i see a O-RING that goes on the base of the sensor. that gasket only comes with sensor.....
yea that sounds right.....

no way to get just the o-ring? (thanks for the correct term by the way) or anyway to get the dealership to replace it? i mean i dont know how i could bring it up...and i just had my 10k service too

and how much is a MAF sensor anyways?
Old 08-30-2011, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

MAF sensors are expensive, like $170 bucks.

You dont need to use that specific O-ring, you can pick one up at an autoparts store and just throw it on. Its basically just a round piece of rubber elastic.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:28 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

170? good grief there goes that plan...

but as far as a fix....relief...

thanks rockland and wellesley, dealership guys really looking out!

once i have a chance, i'll just take that sucker out and bring it down to the shop nearby to get the right size
Old 09-03-2011, 07:52 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Suspension Update 9-2-11 - CUSCO Strut Tower Bar

3rd time's the charm!

on my 3rd visit to CUSCO their strut bar finally fit! (now before people start thinking negatively on why it took so long..yatta yatta yatta...its because these parts are all fabricated in Japan...so shipping designs and getting product takes some time. also the Japanese spec tC2 is slightly different over there. the guys at CUSCO really took great time and effort to make sure it is the best product with the best performance results) with that said, this final design is a completely different brace and bar design that will perfectly fit and improve the steering feel of the US tC2. the new design is flat and VERY light weight...but still nice and sturdy!

so pictures!

i snuck some pictures of the photoshoot they were doing

-----

Mini-Review
I want to drive it a bit more to give it proper justice and write a complete review....but right off the bat...WOW you can really feel the improvements in steering! I'm not a car junkie with the "go" aspect in mind...but I am sure this bar will be perfect for ANY tC2 owner. from AutoX-ers, to daily drivers, to all show no go owners....you will all LOVE it!

right away I could feel the added stiffness and better response on the turns. especially when some jerkoff on the freeway cut met off...the lane next to me was clear so........a quick lane change to get around the car and WOW! its hard to explain it in words...but it was as if the car knew exactly what i wanted to do and just did it in sync.

also i took some turns in some residential areas that if i took quick i usually found myself in the other lane with a wide turn....with the CUSCO strut bar...not anymore! i got the perfect response i needed..a quick turn and saying in the lane and still keep the high speed!

with just a bar like this...i'm already starting to feel the itch of making my "show" car into a "show with go" car and possibly taking a trip to a grip track in the near future!

------

i also snapped a lot of photos through out my visit and i'll see if i have enough to do a photo install guide for those who do end up getting this awesome CUSCO strut tower bar

-----
Bonus the next day i reinstalled the Descendant Cold Air Intake...the fitment was perfect! and it looks great!!

the only "issue" is how close the clearance between the MAF sensor is...it may be hard to tell upclose but the gap is pretty decent and doesnt look to be a problem...i will monitor it and see how it goes

Last edited by KidJustin; 01-09-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks great man. How about them window visors?!? They say anything about those? lol
Old 09-03-2011, 08:04 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

CUSCO doesnt do the window visor...but i will contact the company that does (Berggs) shortly about it...i will keep u guys updated
Old 09-04-2011, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh ok, thanks.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice write-up! You may have mentioned pricing for the strut bar already, but does CUSCO have one in mind?

Also, the clearance for the MAF worries me...I wonder how the placement of the MAF on the Descendant compares to the Takeda that I have.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:56 AM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

naw i haven't mentioned price exactly...i believe they said an estimate would MSRP would be around 200? i have to go back and check

yea the clearance is kinda......
but i was able to find away to add more clearance by changing the way the cold air part is connected to the car..i will continue to investigate other ways

i can say with the stock box...there is A LOT of clearance

maybe send me some pictures of the takeda installed and i'll see if i can compare it to my set up
Old 09-04-2011, 07:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^
Thanks for the offer! I'll snap some tomorrow and shoot em over. The Takeda really seems to extend upwards a good bit.

And with pricing, I'm just wondering how competitive CUSCO's price will be with TRD's at $215. I assume they should both yield nearly identical performance increases...
Old 09-04-2011, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the TRD bar has nothing on that CUSCO one like usual! just look at where it mounts.....

hey kid, did you get the bar for free for helping them test it or did they sell it to you for cost? When i went to GT SPEC for fitting on my yaris bars( 5 total) i got the first bar free my choice and the rest were cost if i wanted them.....
Old 09-04-2011, 06:24 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i got it for free!

when i contacted them, they told me that CUSCO HQ just gave the okay to sponsor it for free...previously it was at a discounted price

however....CUSCO coilover kit...if they do end up testing it on my car...if i want it id have to pay some

and yes...as much as i love trd....this bar is legit! super sturdy super light! and so far the performance on turning and braking is noticeably better

it even looks cool too! the blue n chrome....i might even make my color theme fit that in some way!..well the blue not so much the chrome haha
Old 09-04-2011, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I f its free its for me i always say. nice job securing CUSCO as a sponsor!!!

do they plan on making underbody braces as well?? if NOT try KEN CHAN over at www.GTSPEC.com and inquire on being a test mule for them. Their line of underbody braces can't be beat as far a quality and craftmanship. if your interested check out the yaris liftback braces for pictures of my car....

Originally Posted by KidJustin
i got it for free!

when i contacted them, they told me that CUSCO HQ just gave the okay to sponsor it for free...previously it was at a discounted price

however....CUSCO coilover kit...if they do end up testing it on my car...if i want it id have to pay some

and yes...as much as i love trd....this bar is legit! super sturdy super light! and so far the performance on turning and braking is noticeably better

it even looks cool too! the blue n chrome....i might even make my color theme fit that in some way!..well the blue not so much the chrome haha
Old 09-04-2011, 09:29 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks I will find out on cusco... But I contacted Ken in the meantime. I'll see what's up
Old 09-05-2011, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How about a group buy on that bad boy come release time...
Old 09-05-2011, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by biglilsteve
How about a group buy on that bad boy come release time...
sign me up! that bar is sexy. and i want it
Old 09-05-2011, 07:22 AM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i will try to ask about a group buy...but i'm not sure about it

don't quote me on this...but i think they are only order 10 strut bars to be shipped to the US for public purchase

HOWEVER....they have told me if there is a BIG interest in them...if the tC2 market is big enough for them...they will more than likely order more AND develop additional parts for our car!

so don't let the limited quantity scare you...
if you come...they will build it! let's show'em how big the tC2 community is and how much we want the best mods for our cars!

Quick Reply: MCH5 aka KidJustin's tC2 | why I can't update the first page... :(