Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

New 2011 tC owner! Question on vibrations.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 12:00 AM

Default New 2011 tC owner! Question on vibrations.

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a 2011 tC in Classic Silver a month ago. It's the coolest car I've owned.

One question I had was when I'm driving slower speeds (15-30 mph) my feet feel some type of grinding, knocking on the pedals/floor. It's as if you're driving through snow and feel the snow hitting the underside of the car. Or when brakes pads are worn and they grind (brakes are fine) It's only at slower speeds, as soon as I get up to 40 mph+, it doesn't do it. It's not obnoxious, but just enough to notice it.

I had the dealer I purchased it from check it out, since it's still under warranty. Although they feel the same thing, they didn't find anything mechanical wrong, loose, broken, etc.

It's not driving me crazy, but if there's a way to get rid of it, I'm all ears.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2015, 03:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

None sorry. Something isnt right, tell them to put it on a lift and inspect everything.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not mechanic, but past experience tells me maybe its a problem with your wheels, bearings, CV joint, or axle. Is it accentuated when you brake, accelerate, or turn the steering wheel? If you feel it in the steering wheel, it could be a problem with your wheels or hubs. If you feel it under braking, maybe bad rotors. Also, tires that aren't properly balanced often cause vibration certain speeds. I would start with the basics, then try to isolate the problem; make sure your tires are properly inflated and perhaps have them aligned and balanced. If you can check the vehicles history, look for any accidents (front end collision? very possible you have axle damage). Lastly you could try taking it to another shop, or dealership and try to have them diagnose it, if they find a problem take it back to the dealer you bought it from and have them pay for the diagnosis and repair.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

How many miles are on it? I was thinking it sounds like bad bearings too ...
Old 11-13-2015, 08:02 AM

Hi guys, thanks for the responses. So there are 38k miles on it. I only notice it when I start driving until I hit about 35 mph. I don't hear anything, I only feel it under my feet, both on the driver and passenger side. It's more of a knocking underneath than vibrations, that was probably the wrong word. I'll look into it further and report back. Thanks again!
Old 11-13-2015, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd definitely check you tires and wheels for pressure, balancing, and alignment. Do you have aftermarket wheels on?
Old 12-18-2015, 11:48 PM

I have a simar problem to you.I crashed my 2011 tc about six months ago and just finished rebuilding it now under my own cost since the insurance company wanted to mark it as a salvage.I have a vibration in the back tire and the shop that fixed it says they think it's in the tie rod.They are going to have it checked out and are going to let me know.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:16 AM

I'm now noticing that at slow speeds, the car seems to be a little sluggish. I went to an open area and it coasted in neutral for a decent distance.

Manualsonly, the wheels are Scion, so original; I assume?.

Carlostc2, definitely update us! It could be the same problem.

Thanks guys!
Old 12-21-2015, 02:26 AM

Default We might have the same problem

Ok so this morning I changed the tie rods on my car.I also balanced the tires and filled them up to the proper psi inticated in the owners Manuel and when I get on the highway the vibration continues.I am starting to think we might have the same problem.I also tried the same thing as you(coasting but I did it a 60mph while exiting and I still feel it vibrating)If you figure out what it is please let me know.I am going to be trying a bunch of different things to see what I can figure out.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm assuming both of you have a good allignment?

Mnwst, if i were you i'd definitely take it back to the dealer and tell them you need it fixed even though they dont see any mechanical problems. If its under warranty they need to fix it.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep in mind that Scions are inexpensive for a reason. It's not unheard of for a driver to bump a curb in a tC at speeds less than 10mph and actually bend the subframe. I've got a friend that that happened to and he hasn't been able to get his alignment right since. So even if you haven't been in what most people would consider a major accident, it's still worth looking into.

Last edited by JordanOfGilead; 12-21-2015 at 11:58 AM. Reason: change frame to subframe
Old 12-22-2015, 06:29 PM

Alignment seems to be ok as far as I can tell (drives straight without holding the steering wheel), but I'll take it in. I bought it at Carmax and did the extended warranty. Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-07-2016, 04:42 AM

Default Found my vibration problem

So I took my car to get new tires and as the mechanic is putting a tire on he shows me one of my rims is bent and it had like a flat spot, so he asks me by any chance are you feeling any wobbling or vibration on the highway,I told him I felt it but had no clue what it was.