Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

rock chips

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 04:22 AM
5 Year Member

Default Get the paint protection film

I regretted not getting it on my 2011 Lexus IS350 about 3.5 months after it came in and I picked it up. I was getting it serviced and on way home heard a loud pop/ bang I cringed then when I pulled it in the garage there was a small ding and two paint chips on the hood. Which would have been under film if I had gotten it.

Long story short I have an appointment Thursday (day after tomorrow) to get the entire front end done, as well as mirrors, door edges, door sills, door handle cusps, deck lid around scion emblem, front a- pillars, and will see if he can do the actual entire hood instead of just 18" from front tip. Cost is going to be $750, if I don't get the change to entire hood. Picked car up this past Sat. in MD having been trying to drive easy, careful, and far behind everyone till I get it protected.

Shop around depending on you location there is probably multiple places who do it. I called 4 places each one the price got cheaper and cheaper with extras for free. Competition is a wonderful thing sometimes. The guy I ended up picking was cheapest and does all the one dealer chains cars. Been doing it for over 10yrs and 3000 cars so far.

Let you know how it turns out after work is done
Old 10-13-2013, 02:10 AM
5 Year Member

Default Looks good and feel better

Originally Posted by Shocker88
Let you know how it turns out after work is done

Well it's done and looks good the hood is about half covered normal process. It only has one flaw and that is I don't think it covers enough front fender area the guys feed the specs into a computer I assume from 3M and it cuts out your pattern. The problem is it only covers small 4-6" section of front corner fenders around headlight assembly. I was hoping it would cover to about center of front wheel lines.

He did my door handle cusps, door sills, mirrors, and around the scion emblem on hatch. Wher you always grab to open trunk and I push often to close.

The a'holes at local Toyota dealer installed the rear scion bumper appliqué and f'd it up. It's lower by half inch on one side compared to other. To top it off they weren't even supposed to install I was going to get the same guy from X-Pel to do it. Now Monday I have to call and ask if he can remove and re-install it without damaging it or car paint. Never going to that Toyota dealer again. The ordered wrong spoiler for my car and almost installed it. Luckily the didn't have a template.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member

Got a few more chips in the front. It hurts to see them every time.
Probably cause I drive on the highway all the time.

I am probably going to buy some touch up paint and a sanding kit and fix it up myself.