Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Squeaky noise going over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 02:27 AM

Unhappy Squeaky noise going over bumps

Hi folks. I have a 2011 Scion tC. I love my car from the design to the color and the efficiency. But almost year and a half ago, I heard squeaky noise coming from the front of the car when going over bumps. I specifically remember them being those yellow road reflectors that triggered the noise. From then I heard the noise on every bump on the road. I can't figure out what that is.

Here are some of my findings,
  1. I do get the noise when driving over bumps.
  2. I do get it when parked and I open/close the door. I kept closing the door for 10-15 times to see if it happens and it does 95% of the time. However, If I pop the hood open and try closing the door, I don't get the noise anymore.
  3. I do get the noise when I slam my fist (not heavily) on the hood.
  4. I don't get the noise after my car gets wet sitting in the rain. But once the car dries up after driving around, I start hearing that noise.
I talked to Service Technicians about it many times but they said my struts, suspensions, brakes look good. I have 61200 miles on my car.
Do you guys think some of the screws are loose or some joints need to be greased? Any help is appreciated.

Vipin
Old 05-20-2018, 11:11 PM

Sounds like your noise is coming from the hood. I'd check to see if the hood is rubbing against the fenders, check to see if the hood bumpers are all there,
and apply white lithium grease to the hood latch and hinges

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-21-2018 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^I mean the above sounds iffy, but i guess worth a try. Never heard of those parts making noise before.

Hard to diagnose a noise only you are hearing via a forum, but generally a squeak over bumps is a worn control arm bushing. You'd think having it checked out would be noticeable as generally it's a tear. Could also be something that worked itself loose, which is not uncommon for suspension bolts depending on your conditions. Wouldn't think they would need replacing already, but also not sure where you live and if your suspension has been modified that may affect the wear. If the above doesn't work, maybe have a different shop check it out if you're uncomfortable working on your own car.
Old 05-12-2022, 05:06 PM
SL Member

Was this in fact happening to your own tc at some point? the Hood was making squeak noise that coincided with a rough/bumpy road.. especially at low speeds (under 25mph). This is what's happening with mine, yet it's at 200k. However, all mechanics I've had look at it say that the suspension looks fine.

I fear it's the struts going or bad ball joints. Can you remember the last time you had a ball-joint replaced on your tc?