2011-____ [ANT20]

ZeroEyeQueue-Update 7/23/2012 MAF Setup to Speed Density

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZeroEyeQueue
Creaking noise in the front driver's side wheel well. It started after the springs were installed. After 3 visits they replaced the strut. The noise went away for a day, then came back. Now, it only happens when I turn the wheel to the left.

I've gone to them at least 8 times (3 times without appointment) to check is everything is clocked correctly and if everything alignment wise was within spec. They claimed everything is correct and have no idea what the sound could be. Talked to Toyota Corporate a couple times, and they don't have any ideas other than a bad install.

So, as of now, the dealership won't look at it until 3k in miles has been put on the springs. They said after 3k the springs will have fully settled. I called BS and they have yet to fix the creaking (other than stuffing some foam insulation into the sub assembly, idiots).

Frustrated as I am, I'm going to say screw it soon and put the TEIN SSD-p's in probably in July. And, with the turbo going in I doubt they'll even take another glance at my car as warrantied.
I don't want to sound like I'm doubting you, but I take it there isn't another dealership in the area you can try? Definitely sounds like your strut towers are clocked wrong. Only way I can tell how they are clocked is the stupid blue dot. Maybe the dot is in the wrong spot?
Old 05-20-2011, 02:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I asked them several times. Which way are each supposed to be clocked. Facing the front of the car both blue dots are at 7 o'clockish. Can you post a pic of yours? The dealership said that the way they're on there is only way they can go.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update on the turbo kit:

Looks like I won't be installing on the 28th-29th. Turbonetics has delayed shipment of the turbo until next Wednesday (wtf, i know). So, I won't be seeing the rest of the kit until a week after (Ground shipping from CA to MI is 4 to 5 business days). And, since my mechanic's schedule is stupid and I don't want to mess stuff up by doing it on my own, it may be another month or so before it goes on. (Super Disappointed Face).
Old 05-20-2011, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wasn't even planning to, but I sold my speakers, amps and guitars and decided to get new wheels. These are on order:

18 x 8.5 +38 Matte Bronze

Help me. I'm addicted.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I asked them several times. Which way are each supposed to be clocked. Facing the front of the car both blue dots are at 7 o'clockish. Can you post a pic of yours? The dealership said that the way they're on there is only way they can go.
First, let me disqualify my answer by letting you know I clocked my springs wrong at first, so... My blue dots are now at the 11 o'clock position. I had mine at the 7 o'clock position, but the dealer said they were wrong and the others I saw had the dots at 11 o'clock.

And your dealer is on something. The sub assembly fits just fine in any direction. You know you got it on wrong because the bearings go out and start making creaking noises.

P.S. I'm a mod junkie too, I just don't have the cash supply you seem to come up with.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, P. I talked to Kareem at Descendant and he checked the stock tC2 they have at the garage. He said the driver's side was @ 5 o'clock if you were at the front of the hood facing the car. He's going to send me some pics soon. I think I'm just going to head to the dealer and tell them to show me a stock tC2 and pop the hood so I can look at the strut towers. And then, I'll strangle them for wasting so much of my time.

Giving up the guitar was hard (a hollow body Gretsch custom, that sort of resembles the new Country Club Models), but I was never very good at it. The amps were just taking up too much room and since I live in an apartment, they never got much use unless someone was borrowing for a show. They paid for just about everything (wheels, lugs, stems, etc.), but I'm running thin on the stuff I can sell for parts... o.o; Soon, I'll to bring out the almighty credit cards and be in debt forever like with my old STi.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Help me. I'm addicted.
Totally down to help. Step #1 - give me all your parts. Step #2 - give me all your money. Step #3 - I will chain you up in a Yugo graveyard with naught but duct tape and a plastic knife.

Problem solved! We're all winners!

btw those rims look sick. Any thoughts on the rubber?
Old 05-21-2011, 02:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Someone I know suggested these:

Falken Azenis RT-615K
245/40R18

Nothing's set in stone and am open to suggestion.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i clocked mine wrong when doing the springs, and messed em up. dealer ordered new ones from japan and re-did them, and one blue dot is on the firewall side, and one points off to the side. after install, took a week for em to start creaking. been 3 since got replaced and no issue. so i dont know if you can really go by the blue dot
Old 05-21-2011, 03:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn. I was afraid of that. Thanks for the heads up. Either way, I'm going to try a different dealership and see if they have any ideas. In the end, I'm probably going to have to request new springs and a new install.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my tein s tech springs have rubber pieces on parts of coils that rub to prevent noise. they still on yours?

::EDIT:: just assuming all the lowering springs have these
Old 05-21-2011, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Then how do you know if the sub assemblies are clocked right?
Old 05-21-2011, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im not sure how to know. i just know mine were fixed by the dealer, work great, and blue dots are not where they were when i first bought the car
Old 05-30-2011, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Descendant "Bolt On and Go" Turbo Kit.

How I spent my Memorial Day Weekend 2011:

Here's a quick overview of my weekend. I don't have the camera we used at the moment, so I'll just post the pics I took with my phone for now.

Friday this came is at 6:45 PM EST

That night we prepped the car (Draining fluids and getting it on jack stands).
Sorry about the crappy phone pic.

My tC2 and my buddy's Z after prep work.

Some clearance issues with the downpipe:

Had to relocate the dipstick tube:

After all the engine components were installed:

After a test run. No leaks. However, I did get a CEL after driving for a while (most likely too rich or lean because it went away):

AEM F/I C Mounted here for now:

There are about 40-50 more pictures taken with my friend's camera which chronicles most of the difficulties with the install: Some fitment issues here and there, oil pan not wanting to come off, intercooler piping not reaching, downpipe not fitting, etc.

Gauges aren't in yet. Getting it tuned tomorrow or Wednesday. I probably need to drill another bung for the wideband, and will probably get it done at the shop.

Its running fine now. The dump pipe (Screamer) that came with it rattles against the frame, but only at idle. I can't hear it while driving.

No videos yet. I'm waiting for a fine tune before all that gets done.
I'm tired.

Last edited by ZeroEyeQueue; 03-28-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im so jealous damn
Old 05-31-2011, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Amazing!

My suggestion for the little hiccups your having is to contact the guys at Descendant. They are awesome for support. They'll fix the glitch!
Old 05-31-2011, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I was in contact with Kareem for most of Saturday. The base map was to just get the car running, which it is, but there's no way I will get the car into boost until it's fine tuned. Another thing to note is that the base map wasn't set up for the ball bearing turbo they upgraded me to.

I just hope I can get to a shop tomorrow.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Work Emotion CR Kai Matte Bronze w/ Falken 245 40 18 & Descendant 2.5" Exhaust

Car is dirty. Need to fix that.

Need to adjust this over a little.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looking really good!

only suggestion - 15 mm spacers in the front, 20 mm in the back. then supa bad ___
Old 06-02-2011, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also, have you tuned the car yet? if so...hows it feel? and if not...hows it feel? haha

Quick Reply: ZeroEyeQueue-Update 7/23/2012 MAF Setup to Speed Density