Notices

Good place to shop for colorful rims

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 09:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Good place to shop for colorful rims

I am in the market for some rims, but am having trouble finding rims that I like.. I'm looking for rims that are colored. Yellow, green, blue. I saw some Gram Lights that were a 5 spoke design solid green orange and pink. They looked really good.. I just don't know where to find them for sale.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:38 AM
SL Member

Powdercoating a cheap set of wheels will be cheaper than paying the more expensive companies for their colored wheels if the color is all you're looking for. I agree though, they look awesome. But maybe keep an eye out for cheap wheels to powder coat for the chance to get those bright wheels at a cheap price.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JPfeffer
Powdercoating a cheap set of wheels will be cheaper than paying the more expensive companies for their colored wheels if the color is all you're looking for. I agree though, they look awesome. But maybe keep an eye out for cheap wheels to powder coat for the chance to get those bright wheels at a cheap price.
I agree. Usually if you go with a well known company such as Rays Engineering (Volk, Gram Lights, etc) or Work, they usually charge quite a bit extra for non standard colors. If you're willing to fork up the money for it, by all means, go for it. If not, go the cheap route with a set Rotas that are custom powdercoated. If you're lucky, you can find a decent used set of "brand" wheels on forum classifieds that you can have custom powdercoated.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Either find a cheap set of wheels that you like and have them powder coated or you will have to contact a company about getting a custom set.

BTW OZ wheels has a line of wheels in a bunch of different colors as well.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great info guys, Rota definitely has some designs I am eying and if getting them powder coated like I did my stock wheels ( which I regret doing black, but can't justify painting them again bc I really want new wider rims.. ) is as easy, I could do it.. I just figured that it would be way easier to just have them already painted from the factory. Is there a difference in the paint that companies use and powder coating the rims, ie; texture, color, longevity?

On a side note, I also want a flush ( not hella flush.. or stretched tired.. ) rim.. a 7.5 or 8 inch wide rims to me sounds just right, but what offset would I need to have the rims sit flush with the fenders?
Old 07-17-2011, 06:48 PM
SL Member

I'm shooting from the hip here, and taking a little bit of a guess, but I thought the stock wheel was a 7.5 inch width anyways and they sit sunk in a little bit. Errol has 10mm spacers if memory serves and they just BARELY sit tucked in from the top lip of the fender. My guess would be 15mm spacers and longer studs with a stock width and stock offset tire, or with more help on backspacing and whatnot, you could get stock backspace with an extra 1/2" width (15mm ~ .6"), or stock width and +15 backspacing (is positive backspacing what sets it out from the rotor face more?)

Again, I'm trying to make an educated guess here based on stock dimensions, the one tC2 with spacers and good pics (Errol's), and my own car knowledge. Based on that, an 8" wide wheel with stock backspacing should get you AWFULLY close to a clean, flush look. Hopefully someone more educated will be able to build off of what I just said to either verify and clarify it, or shoot it down and teach me something new. Either way, you and I will learn something today, we just need to hear from someone who knows a little more on the subject. The term "Flush" is foreign to me because I've grown up with the understanding that if it doesn't help speed you up faster or slow you down faster, it's worthless. Lol. I'm trying to learn though. Hopefully something I've said helps.

Edit: And after digging a little more, I found you the page in Errol's build that shows his 10mm spacers (I was right!), and they look GREAT with the stock wheels. His new blue wheels look really good too, but they have a +35 backspace compared to the stock +39, so I guess with spacers they sit in just a fraction of an inch more than the stocks did with spacers.. Might be worth PM'ing him. Here's the page with his stock wheels and spacers: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...=199576&page=3

Here is another good thread with stock wheel specs that will help you out when doing the math to figure out what the new wheel specs need to be for the look you want: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205324

Last edited by JPfeffer; 07-17-2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Adding Errol's build info for reference as well as to add wheel spec thread.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by unsungfate
...like I did my stock wheels ( which I regret doing black
Question, what do you regret about doing the powder coat on the wheels? If you don't mind my asking, how much was it per wheel to get them coated?

Oh and if you want some color options, look at the O.Z. Alleggerita HLT, you may find other sizes but tire rack only has them at 18x8, but the white ones I'm hot for.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scratch
Question, what do you regret about doing the powder coat on the wheels? If you don't mind my asking, how much was it per wheel to get them coated?

Oh and if you want some color options, look at the O.Z. Alleggerita HLT, you may find other sizes but tire rack only has them at 18x8, but the white ones I'm hot for.
Well the wheels look great and I love them.., but I wish I did orange or something. It was 80 a wheel plus what a wheel shop will charge to take the tires off and put them back on..