Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Finally - I'm Rollin' In My xA!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Finally - I'm Rollin' In My xA!!!

Just arrived at home with the new Black xA, shipped to SoCal from Piercey Toyota/Scion in San Jose.

Thanks to Matt Piercey, and Van Phan (Scion Van) for the excellent customer service!

I'll be posting my impressions of the xA as soon as I get a little time to spare. Don't forget my opinions are coming from the perspective of an modified S2000 owner, so be prepared for some good and some not-so-good comments.

My objective is to modify the crap out of the xA, and get it as close to my S2000 as I can, in terms of speed, handling, and mods.

Finally, I'm officially part of the group!!!

-Pete :D
Old 10-26-2003, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Why did you switch? They'll always be one big difference though-

RWD>FWD
Old 10-26-2003, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Sweet! :D
Old 10-26-2003, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats Pete. Looks like Van just got mine in too and will be sending it down early next week!!!! The race is on my friend, lol. Its gonna be funny seeing you at scion meets now.

Liquid, he didnt getrid of the S, he just needed a daily as did I.
Old 10-26-2003, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LiquidSilver
Why did you switch? They'll always be one big difference though-

RWD>FWD
Yeah, like Doc said, I just need a car that I can use for utility. I can't even fit half of my laundry into the S.

After having the xA for less than a day, I realize that modding this car will take some planning. I have a no-holds-barred attitude with the S2000, but I don't know how much I want to spend on this car, until I get out of school.

I will have to be more calculated as to where I spend money on the xA, and I already know that this car needs some serious attention in the handling department.

I know it's not an S2000, but the handling stinks, and I am of the opinion that just about any car can be made to handle reasonably well with the proper mods. First, this car really needs heavy duty anti-sway bars. The car leans over so far when cornering at speed, I thought I was going to fall out of the window!

It also needs a pipe. I know I'm going deaf from the S, but I can't hear the xA engine at all. So, to rev match when I'm heel and toeing, I have to look at the tach all the time, which isn't really safe. I got the front wheels spinning today [by accident], and it's nice to know theres a little torque available. Of course, these tires are skinny and hard, so they probably break loose easily.

The throttle cable has to be as loose as my grammas labias, because there is some serious throttle lag going on , and it doesn't feel like it's the engine. I have to prematurely blip the throttle when shifting.

The clutch also needs adjusting. I have to mash it to the floor to work it. There has to be a way to get it to engage earlier. I bought some floormats tonight, and I ended up returning them because the clutch would hardly engage with the floormats under the pedal.

Man, I know I'm a spoiled beeyatch, but this shifter sux. The shift lever is too spongy, but I don't think it's the tranny. There has to be a way to tighten it up. I think harder shift bushings, at the minimum. The throw is way too long, so I'm hoping to see a short shift kit for the xA soon.

You xB guys are lucky to have more options when it comes to the tranny and suspension parts.

This car also needs to be lowered, big time. I am definitely not feeling the 4x4 look. I will probably get some good quality adjustable coil-overs, so that I can adjust the height to suit my needs.

Some nice touches are the vinyl owner's manual case, and the light in the the center console that comes on and off when the door is opened. The front seats have a great look, but they're not very supportive, so they'll have to be replaced. The front bumper looks great with no plate, no frame, and no holes, very clean!

I'm already working on some designs for a carbon fiber hood. The xA runs hotter than my S2000! I have to figure out if I prefer a ram-air type hood, or a hood that vents air out of the engine compartment. I believe it will be the latter.

Okay, back to my schoolwork.

-Pete
Old 10-26-2003, 07:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i cant wait to see what you do....i really like the xA lowered big time.....suspension is my cup of tea. i would work suspension like no other!
good luck.

l. garcia
Old 10-26-2003, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your xA needs a pipe? Are you sure that wasnt a freudian slip? ;)

I def agree with you about the suspension. You think its bad in the xA, you should take the B through some turns, i felt like i was going to flip the car.

Ive already noted many of the issues you have mentioned and actually ordered lowering springs, the trd shift kit and rims and tires so i have them as soon as the car is here. Your def right about the transition from the S to the scion, especially the way i have my S built.

The really nice thing about this car that isnt like the S is its popularity. What i mean by that is that many aftermarket manufactures will be making a plethora of parts for this car which will drive the prices of everything down, unlike the S. I expect to see strut bars and other suspension components to be practically free they will be so cheap. I just bugged my KYB rep about struts for the cars and I m hoping with a little bit of persuasion i think we can get good suspension set ups without the need for going to a full coil over.

Dont pick up the pipe too soon though Duc and I have something special planned for this car that I will be doing right after SEMA
Old 10-26-2003, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Docofmind
Dont pick up the pipe too soon though Duc and I have something special planned for this car that I will be doing right after SEMA
Well, I'm receiving your drift [I think], but I need a pipe now! I can't shift this thing right without hearing the engine.

You know I want to go for the double-blue Ti muffler, and it is available in a larger diameter, if necessary.

-Pete

PS- I ordered a custom cut car cover and floor mats, from California Car Covers. I'll post pics and an evaluation as soon as I receive them.

PSS- Last night I bought a Bell Steering wheel cover. It's black leather, with gel pads in just the right spots. It looked nice, until I put it on the car, then it looked like ___, so I took it right back. The fit was terrible. Don't even think about it.