Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Manual Transmission noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member

Default Manual Transmission noise

Has anyone else experienced what I'm about to explain? Or maybe have an idea?
Two days ago I noticed a noise while my car is moving and the clutch out that sounds like fast chirping crickets.
The chirping noise appears to be coming from dash area inside my car and the noise is very noticeable at low speeds and the speed of the noise does appear to be dependent at the speed I'm driving. If I drive slower the noise slows down. If I drive fast the noise speeds up.
It happens only after the car been driven for a while. I have an hour drive to work. If I jump in my car after it sits all night and take it around the block... no noise.
The interesting thing about this is if I VERY slightly place my foot on the clutch pedal the noise goes away. This I discovered this morning while I was driving around this morning in my office complex trying to locate the damn noise. As I was down shifting I noticed the noise went away the moment I depressed the clutch. The noise does not appear to be a vibration and it from what I discovered this morning looks like it's tied to the clutch pedal.
In short it's one of those problems that may be challenging for me to explain to the dealership.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2007, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

throwout bearing
Old 01-11-2007, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

had the same thing happened to me... rattling at around 2500 rpm. turns out it was the release bearing in the clutch assembly.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just want to shed some light. I know that the issue goes away with the clutch pedal, but there is a TSB for a ticking, clicking etc noise from top dash/ windshield area. The sound comes from 2 or 4 (cant remmeber) clips under the headliner that hold the windshield in place at the factory while the silicone cures. I would bring it to the dealer and suggest the TSB, it should be covered under warranty, but you most likely have a diff issue.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member

Thank you all for your replies. Now I have something to work with.
I have one more question. I Googled "throw out bearing" and from my reading it says, " If the noise only appears when you depress the clutch and goes away when you release it, it's possible that the TOB is going bad".
My issue is the opposite. I have noise with the clutch out and it goes away with the clutch in.
Do you think this would still fall into a possible throw out bearing problem?

Thanks
Old 01-18-2007, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SAME thing happened to me. Toyota dealer said I warped the clutch pressure plate because I can't drive a stick very well. Riiiiiiiigggggggghhhhhhttt.... still trying to get it sorted out with Scion customer care.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heres a nother intresting sound for you. sometimes when im shifting from first to second at around 3.5 to 5 grand il lhere like a werr werr werr its a strange sound i can get it outta gear no problem but it still makes that odd sound.... any ideas?
Old 11-29-2007, 07:10 AM

So did any of you guys get this problem solved or fixed? Is it really the "throwout bearings"?

I have the exact same issue with my 05 xB. When the car has been driven for a while (45 mins or so) at idle I hear this light but noticeable ticking noise. When you press the clutch down, the sound completely goes away and everything's quite and smooth.

As mentioned, this only happens when my car has been driven for a fairly long period of time. Even then, the noise only appears maybe 4 out of 5 stops.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:05 AM

I had the SAME problem and described it to the dealer the same way. I said it sounded like "Crickets" under the drivers side of the car after my 30 mile highway commute. It also went away if I applied a small amount of pressure to the clutch. Of course the dealer could not hear anything and told me everything was fine.

The funny thing is that this problem only lasted about 2 1/2 weeks and it has gone away. I thought it might be the colder weather moving in or something. I do feel better that I brought it back to the dealer for this just in case it comes back.

Please let us know how you make out.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:03 AM

I read up on the mini coopers and many of the owners have the exact same problem. I'm starting to think that it's just normal wear and tear of the clutch.

A few pple have even mentioned that all of their clutch cars in the past has done the same after a while of usage. And that this didn't mean that the clutch was going bad or will poop out on you soon.

My car has over 120K on it so right now my clutch is starting to make all kinds of strange glitchy type noises and vibrating sounds here and there. Not loud, but when music is off, you can notice it slightly every so often. So I'm just gonna start setting money aside and for when my clutch needs to be replaced.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by iDanXA
I had the SAME problem and described it to the dealer the same way. I said it sounded like "Crickets" under the drivers side of the car after my 30 mile highway commute. It also went away if I applied a small amount of pressure to the clutch. Of course the dealer could not hear anything and told me everything was fine.

The funny thing is that this problem only lasted about 2 1/2 weeks and it has gone away. I thought it might be the colder weather moving in or something. I do feel better that I brought it back to the dealer for this just in case it comes back.

Please let us know how you make out.

It'll come back... mine did. 60k of driving and it still feels fine... just that stupid noise occasionally.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member

I am having same issue after I replaced the clutch.....the mechanic said they replaced the throw out bearing that I got off eBay exedy kit. So if I want to get it fix... I would have to pay again. What should I do ?

Thanks
Old 01-13-2012, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, super old thread bump. I've got over 100k miles since I took my car in and got the run around with the dealer. Still makes the noise occasionally, but the clutch is fine, even at 130k miles.

I wouldn't even worry about it.