Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]
View Poll Results: which HID kit have you tryed or think is good ?
cliffud 's MobileHID.com - The Best Waterproof HID Conversion kit!
40.00%
operatic's HID Plug and Play Kits $130 SHIPPED OVERNIGHT
30.00%
xenon911's XENTECH HID KITS $109.99 SHIPPED
10.00%
Other
20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

need help pickin out hid

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 01:11 PM
SL Member

Default need help pickin out hid

im tryin to get HID (oem white color 5000k i think). anyways been reading xa needs h4 but car will lose high beam right? does that mean my high beam won't come on at all? is there anyway to get high and low beam workin for HIDs?

i have no idea on whats good and whats not.. so i would just like to ask u guys on some tips to pick out HID kits. what to look for and how i can tell like what will burn out fast? or using stock harness bad or good? connected from battery good or bad? i have been lookin around at our sponsored sales and found few kits listed below

cliffud 's MobileHID.com - The Best Waterproof HID Conversion kit!
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=152060

operatic's HID Plug and Play Kits $130 SHIPPED OVERNIGHT
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=157333

xenon911's XENTECH HID KITS $109.99 SHIPPED
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=186238
Old 01-21-2008, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Revolt Imports
DeepSouth Scions

I've got Cliff's 4000k kit on my xa. It comes with the wiring harness and relay to run from the battery. Install is easy, and the bulbs have integrated halogens for high beams. The highs are fairly worthless though. The HID low beams are far better than the halogen highs.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

myself and my buddy have operatics HIDs 4300k. 1000% better than oem lights.
When they say you lose your high beam it means the high beam wont be a high beam hid unless you got bi-xenon. there is still a bulb there for high beams but its a freaking joke. I was happy with opertic hids kit everything was there and came within 2 days of ordering.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Personally, I went with Mod-Express www.Mod-Express.com , 4300 w/LOW beam kit ! Robert is a good guy, he will answer your questions promptly!

Reasons why:

*Check there thread here on SL- how the ballasts are put together + parts involved(mainly from Japan + Germany) , to me it looked very solid, and not some 4th world country parts/labor going into it.

*They actually have a business store-front / wherehouse. That actually means something to me.

*Reason why I went with the 4300K (most lumans- 3200) then any other HID kit. Color doesn't mean anything to me, its all about visability + safety If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably go w/ the 6K kit (still 2800 lumans = easily 3X more then what the factory low beams are at!) , and I've noticed other motorists flashing me fairly often w the 4300K (maybe 1-2 motorists per hour). Kinda anoying.

*GET a HID kit w/ LOW beam(halogen) option - reason why: #1. when its foggy out, its perfect to kick on the LOW halogen beam(only 700-800 luman, but its a YELLOW light, not the white or whitish/blue of HID) which definitly helps cut through the FOG layers. Even if you have external FOG lights , its still an excellent idea to get the LOW halogen option( it was only $3 extra through Mod-Express + it helps preserve your HID's when you need them most- freeway driving, or backroads where there aren't any street lights, etc.). Plus, there have been a couple of instances already, while driving downtown district w/ Police creeping + crawling ... thats a perfect time also to simply kick on your halogen LOWS so you do not attract any attention to yourself/car + there is usually sufficent lighting on downtown streets.

*Lastly, what Mod-Express charges for extra/spare/replacement ballasts or bulbs are less $ then the competition, just another FYI. I believe its $30 for bulbs, and $35-40 for each ballasts (don't quote me on this, but I'm fairly close) , and most other sellers are 15-30% more money.

Just my .02 .... and really, its worked out beautifully so far !!!

PS... Clifford at Mobile HID is also very-very good, great customer service, and is excellent to ask questions to , superb service ++++!
Old 01-23-2008, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am looking for the same answers to the same questions as well. Watching this thread
Old 01-24-2008, 12:14 PM
SL Member

come on guys more tips for me and INFINI and other people that might want to buy HID later
Old 01-24-2008, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by ddl2k3
come on guys more tips for me and INFINI and other people that might want to buy HID later
Well what kinds of tips are you looking for? I mean Ive had mine almost a year and have no problems with them. The ones from operatic.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:20 PM

don't do this conversion; your reflector housings aren't made for it and you'll cause problems for oncoming traffic. get a projector retrofit done or stick to halogens.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by teknikks
don't do this conversion; your reflector housings aren't made for it and you'll cause problems for oncoming traffic. get a projector retrofit done or stick to halogens.
Can anyone else confirm this or comment?
Old 01-24-2008, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Every once in a while I get some flash their high beams at me....like once a month maybe.

Yes shell out $800 for a projector retrofit.
I have had no issues with the reflector housing.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bailed onthe upgrade as I would loose the ability to flash during the day with the dual hid filiment kit for my xa unless my hids were already on and warmmed up. Many people are just buying the low beam kit since they do not use high beam or they go with the kit that has a halogen bulb for high and hid for low. I want hid for both or none at all.

I went with silverstar ultra bulbs and they are really too bright and cause some glare at night where there is no traffic or street lights. High beams are terreffic.

I now have an oem fog light kit and see nothing is available for the h11 bulb except an hid kit and am on the fence about buying a kit for them,

FYI, I was told it was illegal to put hid in a lamp housing not designed for them. I do not know of any one who has had any problems yet.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

cobb, you want the bi-xenon kit then....wire it up so when the high beams go on all 4 bulbs light up the road lol.

I know people with hids in the headlights & the foglights and it looks really nice.
It is illegal to put hids in unless they are factory...but who cares lol
Old 01-27-2008, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a set of oem fogs and see you can not get a silver star h11 bulb. Think I am going to spring for the water proof kit in yellow color with relay kit for my lamps. Silver stars are fine if not a tad too bright in my head lamps. My current 17 dollar set of fogs with a 55 watt h3 bulb in them could be brighter.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bailed, I could not get the paypal page to come up in a timely manner, plus the website says the h11 is not available in the amber color, but when you goto the scionlife page they are listed for sale.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
Scikotics
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by INFINI
Originally Posted by teknikks
Can anyone else confirm this or comment?
I've never had a problem and I didn't retrofit anything. I never get flashed and I' haven't changed my headlights at all.

You can get HID kits that have both hi and low beams. They run quite a bit more usually. I just went for the lo-beams and I've never run into a problem.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:37 PM

yeah dude. HID's should be illegal when not paired with projector lenses. Sorry just my opinion. If people dont flash you its because they're chicken $h!+. Dont go HID unless 1) you dont give a $hi+ about blinding other drivers including myself, or 2) you get projector lenses. HID's on this car is worse than driving against traffic with your highs on and should be an automatic fine. In case you guys dont know, headlamps with the lense has a cutoff line that will prevent oncoming drivers from getting blinded. Those without the lense who are using HID's will definitely be putting out 3 times the light as a stock bulb and since the beam is not focused as it is with the lense is practically blinding and can be very dangerous to oncoming traffic.