2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

WHAT IS YOUR MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default WHAT IS YOUR MPG?

Im averaging about 27-29 MPG is that normal?
Old 02-01-2008, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It definitly seems below average.

This late fall/winter, I'm averaging approx. 35 mpg.
In the late spring/summer , I can average approx. 38-39.

I've got 15" alloys, I've done the snorkle removal(plus TRD or K&N drop in air filter replacement), use synthetic engine oil(soon to use synthetic gear oil in my tranny)care is well maintained, and I've got a scangauge 2 to monitor my driving habbits + has helped me in driving more conservitively at times(mainly around city driving), yet I've learned on hwy/freeway driving there are times to let the engine run more spirited = and actually have reeped better mpg that way(going 70-75 mph at times, depending upon traffic + terrain). Get into 2nd gear ASAP if you have a manual- dont stay in 1st gear for very long, know how to read upcomming traffic like a bird watching prey from afar, and dont sit at idal for very long(under 1 minute is one thing, but kickin it at idal talking with a friend for 1+ minutes is a waist of gas). Lastly, on downhills, I keep the car in gear + take foot completely off accelerator so the gas cut off delivers NO gas to the engine = which definitly helps w/mpg (or also when approaching a stop sign/stop light... and you know its just about to turn yellow, or up coming cars are in the way, I always get off the accelerator and let the car coast to the intersection(talking 30+ yards away). ONLY put in 87 octaine(thats what are car calls for), keep the windows rolled up 99% of the time, check/make sure you have the proper air pressure in your tires (36+ psi ... some people go higher 40-44 to get better mpg).

Hope this helps.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Is your xA an auto or manual?
I'm getting 29 MPG, with extremely conservative driving (any slower I'd get shot), 40 psi, and fairly lightweight 15" wheels. I never drive faster than 45 mph and I always anticipate stops.
I think its because mine's an automatic...I've tried everything else and the tranny is all I can think of that makes it suck gas.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I get from 32 to 46 depending on how I drive. I too just got a scan guage and man, I see many mistakes I make and learn a lot about the cars internal workings.

Who knew the engine likes to run and that less load at higher rpms equals more fuel economy than vice versa? Or the fact the cars water temp warms faster with heat on outside vs inside air and at 140 degrees the blue light goes off? Or the voltage is 14 dead on?

Happy b day ugly, where do you live, maybe we can take your car for a test drive and vice versa.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its really hard to compair cars unless we all have a scan tool. I find keeping my tps between 17-21 gives best fuel economy and upshift as more power is needed and keeping the load down and not racing to the highest gear. Of course all the truck magazines I read say lower rpms better fuel economy.

I drove in stop and go traffic on parham rd and my scan guage read at that time 27 mpg. For the whole day it was like 42. I managed to get 53 today and that was by avoiding the interstate and taking surface streets. Seems 35mph in 4th gear gives great fuel economy. Go 30 it drops 10 units.

Here is a typical day for me. I get in the car, lock doors since you can get mug getting ready to go to work, lock belt, shift into reverse, press brake and clutch petal, release parking brake, check mirrors, then start, turn on head lights and as soon as oil pressure light goes off, release clutch and back out with no gas. Then shift into second, release clutch and idle out the drive way to the road half a mile. Take off in 2nd gear as its down hill and motion through all gears to 45mph. Let off gas and coast as its down hill to the interstate. Take the on ramp at 45 mph and slowly accelerate to match traffic and merge to i95. Stay right and try to keep it under 60, usually you can always find a slow truck that early. Draft and follow him to your exit. Upshift to brake and use the car brakes as last resort. Try to keep revs when engine braking over 1700 so the fuel injectors cut off. COast off interstate in 4th gear, check way and light so you can coast through the intersection to work. When I approach an over pass shift to 3rd gear at 35 mph, ride 3rd down the over pass and turn at work. Thats it, 5 miles at 6am. No idling, no stopping if I cna help it.

The way home is a bit more effort. Again, get int car and ready to go when you turn key. Fasten belt, check mirrors, shift into first, release parking brake, since you are side of a street, turn on signal, press the brake and clutch petal, crank and go. Shift through first 3 gears for 25 mph limit to stop light. Then take the on ramp for the interstate and slowly accelerate and shift at 3 grand. merge when you can and slowly accelerate to 45 in 5th. Soon as I stop to go down hill on the interstate I take it to 70 to match traffic and find a truck, suv or van to draft to my exit. After a few miles again I upshift and try to avoid hte brakes.

Heres my brothers routine who gets 27 mpg in his kia. Starts car, takes smoke while waiting for it to warm up. Takes it to 70 for 15 miles til he hits the ferry where he lives in a rural area.

Idles it as he rolls to the dock to get on the ferry. He does kill the engine if he has to wait for the next boat, but idles it even if they are stopped and the ferry is at the dock. Idles it on the ferry til they start moving. Likewise he idles as they reach the dock and depending on his they load the ferry, you can be last off. Wasted gas as he sits in drive with brake son waiting. Then he deals with slow congrested traffic in williamsburg, va as he gets to work. He does the same in reverse in the evenings after he stops at a store or two. I shope once a week.

Ive gotten my scan gauge to read 9mpg, but I can also get it to read up to 134 at highest.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:04 PM

I just took a trip from VA to FL. Gas station to gas station....probably 70-80 MPH avg. got me about 38MPG. I drive from N. Virginia to DC every day...i average 34MPG....
Old 02-01-2008, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I get between 30-33mpg no matter how I drive. I have yet to see upper 30s in this thing. Injen CAI, TRD axleback, lightweight 15"rims, and a 5speed. Stupid little car really needs a 6th gear to acheive any good highway mileage.... Alot better mpg than my 17mpg Grand Am I use to have, not not spectacular.... I could have gotten a car with more ballz and still get low 30s.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DriverXa
I get between 30-33mpg no matter how I drive. I have yet to see upper 30s in this thing. Injen CAI, TRD axleback, lightweight 15"rims, and a 5speed. Stupid little car really needs a 6th gear to acheive any good highway mileage.... Alot better mpg than my 17mpg Grand Am I use to have, not not spectacular.... I could have gotten a car with more ballz and still get low 30s.
Its probably your CAI that is causing that lower 30's average. I'd recommend doing the snorkle removal w/ K&N or TRD drop in air filter = at least 2-3 more mpg.

I've found 6th gear in alot of cars to be over-kill/ not needed (ie. XRS Martix + Corrola), the S2000 was good/decent to have 6th gear.

Are you running 195 or 205 tires ?
Are you running synthetic oils ?

The only thing w/ slightly more ballz that would get you low 30's average would be a Matrix/Corrola, Civic(mid-30's), xB1, an older Civic sI, or something of that nature = that would be similar price wise(with in a few thousand dollars). Personally, I'd still keep with the xA or xB thing. In 3-5 more years, things could drasticly change in terms of what car then, as computer controled cylinder shut off technology will take effect (4-8 cyl), dual vvt-i on 100% of Toyota/Lexus/Scions, plus at idle shut off + generator assist to kick start the engine back on again will be noticable mpg jumps soon to come. The hybrid battery thing will evolve, get better, hopefully in 5-10 years it wont add too much added weight to the car/truck.

Idle
Old 02-02-2008, 04:42 PM
z
SL Member

Originally Posted by GloriousMidget
Is your xA an auto or manual?
I'm getting 29 MPG, with extremely conservative driving (any slower I'd get shot), 40 psi, and fairly lightweight 15" wheels. I never drive faster than 45 mph and I always anticipate stops.
I think its because mine's an automatic...I've tried everything else and the tranny is all I can think of that makes it suck gas.
It's NOT the auto trans. I am driving an 06 auto trans. I use the car for work. My 70 mile round trip includes no highway or interstate. I am traveling both ways in rush hour traffic. Most times my AC is on in the morning - going in - and in the evening going home. I average - always - between 36 & 38mpg. These are NOT estimates based on the fuel gauge needle, but actual MPG based on fuel consumption vs. miles. If I was only getting in the 20s I would scrap the Xa and get a Mustang GT and at least have some fun for the money... In all seriousness, there would have to be something wrong to be getting 29 mpg with conservative driving. At 45, with an auto, your tach should be right at about 2k rpms.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Super-Stormtrooper07
Its probably your CAI that is causing that lower 30's average. I'd recommend doing the snorkle removal w/ K&N or TRD drop in air filter = at least 2-3 more mpg.

I've found 6th gear in alot of cars to be over-kill/ not needed (ie. XRS Martix + Corrola), the S2000 was good/decent to have 6th gear.

Are you running 195 or 205 tires ?
Are you running synthetic oils ?

The only thing w/ slightly more ballz that would get you low 30's average would be a Matrix/Corrola, Civic(mid-30's), xB1, an older Civic sI, or something of that nature = that would be similar price wise(with in a few thousand dollars). Personally, I'd still keep with the xA or xB thing. In 3-5 more years, things could drasticly change in terms of what car then, as computer controled cylinder shut off technology will take effect (4-8 cyl), dual vvt-i on 100% of Toyota/Lexus/Scions, plus at idle shut off + generator assist to kick start the engine back on again will be noticable mpg jumps soon to come. The hybrid battery thing will evolve, get better, hopefully in 5-10 years it wont add too much added weight to the car/truck.

Idle
I'm running the stock 185 Goodyears mounted on lightweight Konig Feather rimz. I'm also running Mobil 1 synthetic.

3K rpm doin 60mph is just insane, A sixth gear that could knock it down to 2500rpm would be pretty nice.... I dunno, I try to baby it and don't really go anywhere so I've just been driving it. As long as I don't keep flooring it it just stays in the low 30s. And the thing is I have been doing alot of highway driving lately so it should be alot higher...That's y I'm sayin I could get something else that can get low 30s with all the highway I've been doin.. I know the only thing would be my city mileage would turn to crap. The car has 15,200 miles on it now so maybe it needs alittle more time to fully break in.... I'll keep watching it and see what happens.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My setup is stock too. Steel wheels with just trim rings, stock air filter, snorkle installed and stock exhaust.

Heck, first tank full, dividing the miles traveled by filling the tanks gallons resulted in 36mpg. Worse to date was 32 mpg. One from hot ******* it to see how fiuel economy would be effected. Second tank was from getting caught up in to acidents where I idled it with the ac on full blast.

Although it revs high, my scan guage seems to indiate that 3 grand is where it likes to run and delivers good fuel economy.

Thats ok, my previous car was made in 81 before over draft was standard in cars. Its was a 4 thousand pound car that still got 33 mpg, but it was effing loud at 75mph inside and you could not carry on a conversion.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:09 AM
z
SL Member

I have no idea what you are talking about when yo say 3k rpm at 60mph. I have the same car and 3k rpm I am doing just a tad over 70mph !!! Are you sure you don't have the electronic overdrive shut off? No way 60mph = 3k in a auto Xa...
Old 02-03-2008, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I get 26-29mpg with an '06 auto w/stock setup and 15in alloys. I have around a 100 mi. commute daily avg. 65mph and bought the car thinking it would get better than my previous one. I traded in a matrix that was getting the same thing and it was a bigger car. I have kind of learned to deal. Kinda sucks the range is so much different among drivers/cars. Its insane with such a light car and small engine that it doesn't get any better than it does. I also have a v6 SUV that gets around 21mpg, weird. I know someone with a Yaris, which is practically the same thing as an xA and they get in the high 30's.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The stick shift models do over 3 grand at 60, infact they do over 3 grand at 55 mph. At 75mph we are doing 4 grand. The auto model has a higher od gear, the sticks do not. But, seems this little engine likes to rev like a 2 stroke motorbike.

Originally Posted by z
No way 60mph = 3k in a auto Xa...
Old 02-03-2008, 03:36 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

winter blend gas = bad mpg, summer blend gas = better mpg
Old 02-04-2008, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

True that. One reason I head into the county a few miles when I buy my monthly tank. Less ethonal blend and about ten cents cheaper per gallon.

Originally Posted by duck_dodgers_24_5
winter blend gas = bad mpg, summer blend gas = better mpg
Old 02-18-2008, 08:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

If you are only getting 29 in an xA you got problems. I always get atleast 31 during the winter and closer to 35 the rest of the time in my xB. My dads new Yaris HB 5 spd. is hitting 40 ish.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My sg2 says 37.5mpg for me with some city and most highway use, speeds from 25-70.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
SL Member

I average about 28 mpg. I run on 20" wheels on a 215/30 tire... I also have a Fujita CAI. Im just guessing its the wheels for me....
Old 02-20-2008, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

25-26 stop and go hilly, no freeway.

30-32 mixed 50-50.

36-37 freeway only.

06 auto 14k miles. stock

Quick Reply: WHAT IS YOUR MPG?