Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

05 XB Codes P0420, P0441, P442, P0446

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 02:51 AM

Default 05 XB Codes P0420, P0441, P442, P0446

2005 Scion XB-Manual

I’ve got three dash lights on the CEL, TRAC OFF, & VSC. I reset and deleted all codes about a week ago just to see if they would come back…and they came back…

On my way to work the other day my car all the sudden got a really loud rumble to it and every now and then I smell sulfur in the cabin and sometimes rattling sounds from the back end of the car. I’m trying to figure out what I can do to help my car and prolong its life without going broke, because I’m already broke lol. I am very nervous she’s gonna break down and I drive a VERY long way to and from work usually sitting in start/stop traffic. I can’t afford to pay for a tow in the middle of rush hour. Can somebody please help me figure out a cheap solution or anything
Old 11-01-2022, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The first thing you need to do is get the codes read, then post them up here.
Old 11-01-2022, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Replace the catalytic converter to eliminate the P0420 code. If you live in California, the part will cost $1,500+ You can't use a "universal" catalytic converter. It has to be "direct fit" with the EPA CARB compliance numbers & serial numbers on it.

For all the other codes, they are all related to a vapor leak somewhere on the gas tank side of the vapor purge valve. There are many places where a vapor leak can occur.

There could be a chance that there is no vapor leak at all but the computer thinks there is. This can happen when the fuel tanks vent valve releases pressure at a rate in which the fuel tank pressure sensor interprets as not being plausible. If this is the case the vent valve needs to be replaced or the tank pressure sensor needs to be replaced. And in some cases, both.

On the other hand, the three EVAP codes could be just because you simply forgot to tighten the gas cap.
Old 11-05-2022, 02:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had those codes from defective gas-cap that didn't seal. Smog shop was kind enough to show me cap and pressure-tester before doing actual smog-testing.

Another time, it was broken plastic vacuum-T in EVAP system. At rear of car under where filler hose goes to tank. Cause by some loose hoses that wiggled and added stress to T. I fixed by replacing T and strapping hose in place with some P-clamps.

It was $5 and 2 shops tried to charge me $1500+ to fix by replacing entire EVAP system!!
Old 11-06-2022, 12:55 PM

I just uploaded a photo of my codes and I purchased a new gas cap about a month ago. I'm thinking I'm just gonna have to get a whole new exhaust system because of how much cancer is up under my car. The exhaust pipe connected to the muffler has completed broken apart from rust.

Old 11-08-2022, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by UnicornFarts
.........get a whole new exhaust system because of how much cancer is up under my car. The exhaust pipe connected to the muffler has completed broken apart from rust.
Regarding the EVAP codes......

If there's that much rust under the car, check the condition of the fuel filler neck, specifically the (smaller diameter) vapor circulation pipe section of the filler neck. These have a tendency to rust-thru resulting in EVAP codes.

If the filler neck is rusted and needs to be replaced: Toyota part #77201-52250 and Holy ____, I just now looked in our computer system (Toyota stealership), the replacement part cost is $330.......kinda pricey for such a small part.

If there's a rust hole anywhere in that fuel filler neck, it could cause the EVAP codes.
Old 10-19-2023, 08:41 PM

[QUOTE=UnicornFarts;4311952]2005 Scion XB-Manual

I’ve got three dash lights on the CEL, TRAC OFF, & VSC. I reset and deleted all codes about a week ago just to see if they would come back…and they came back…

Car is in use for my family, to and from work and school. Low/rough idling, always need to switch to neutral to soften the idle while in traffic to prevent the car from "dying" out. Called around and been told the same thing, obd reading codes are not valid, I need to find out what parts need fixing in order to get a mechanic to look and/ or fix it. Look on YouTube and googled codes, I get too many different answers. Will post as soon as I solve the mystery. Yes, I, too am broke, so I am trying to figure this out. Take care as much as you can.