Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Any brave soul try nitrous yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 09:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Any brave soul try nitrous yet?

I know nitrous is seen by some as the "cheaters" way for more power.......and most people don't like that you have to keep getting the bottle filled and what not. But I'm wondering if anyone has tried it with like a simple fogger system. It would seem like a relatively simple means to get some HP for that extra bit of passing power you need every once in a while...........and 20-40 hp shouldn't be too dangerous.

KiL
Old 11-09-2003, 10:40 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought about adding the Zex kit, mostly for show & because it looks cool to have a nitrous bottle in the trunk....because its not direct port, and its just a dry fogger system, its supposedly not that dangerous to use.

Old 11-09-2003, 07:38 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

Scion xB supercharged nitrous. I'll be the first and let you know :) I actually just hooked up a cheap sniper kit I bought from ebay last week. Before I got to try it with the 35 jet, I got a huge dent from the little police wood gate thingy that lifts up for one car at a time. It was at the storage facility and I forgot the code so I tried to follow my dad out and it hit my rear. I took the kit off the next day and now my B sits in toyota.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Infiz
I thought about adding the Zex kit, mostly for show & because it looks cool to have a nitrous bottle in the trunk....because its not direct port, and its just a dry fogger system, its supposedly not that dangerous to use.
I was under the impression that you also had to inject fuel to avoid an overlean condition, since the NO2 system only provides oxidizer. Does the oxygen sensor react fast enough and do the injectors flow enough to handle the extra oxygen?

George
Old 11-09-2003, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'm betting the sensor reacts fast enough............whether or not your fuel system could keep up is a different story. Trial by error maybe? Any sacrificial lambs? Any way you go.....I think for safeties sake you need an A/F ratio guage.

KiL
Old 11-10-2003, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

George said:

"I was under the impression that you also had to inject fuel to avoid an overlean condition..."

This is correct. Rather than go into a protracted explanation here, click on the below link for some good info.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question259.htm
Old 11-12-2003, 08:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by George
Originally Posted by Infiz
I was under the impression that you also had to inject fuel to avoid an overlean condition, since the NO2 system only provides oxidizer. Does the oxygen sensor react fast enough and do the injectors flow enough to handle the extra oxygen?

George
There's three major ways of running NOS: dry, wet, and direct port... most people would advise you to avoid wet because of problems with fuel distribution. In a dry setup, you inject NOS before the throttle body and bump up fuel pressure to the stock injectors to provide the additional fuel needed. The problem here is that the Scions use a returnless fuel system, so you can't just easily increase fuel pressure via a fuel pressure regulator. A wet system is similar to dry, but adds extra fuel via a nozzle along with the NOS. The problem people have with wet NOS setups is that, because of most modern-day engine intake manifold designs, some cylinders will end up getting more or less fuel than others, and that could cause some major problems. The ultimate way NOS setup is the direct port, and this is where you have a fuel/NOS nozzle positioned in each intake runner, feeding the same exact amount of juice into each cylinder. Downside to going direct port is increased cost and complexity in plumbing...but if you want to go big power (like 60hp+), that's the only safe way to go.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow...that would be nice...but thats not continuos right? thats only 60hp at the moment of injection...correct? does such boost damage engine? or wear it down?
Old 11-13-2003, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member

when i first threw nos in my civic the guys at pit crew told me to get rid of the cat converter cause the x tra heat when squeezing would melt it and that was with a 50 shot on a wet system,i heard you could actually make more power with a dry system cause your able to put the fogger further away from the throtle body allowing the nitrous to cool off the in coming air more than with a wet system,anyways ,the only trouble i have ever had with nos was frying one of my exhaust valves but that wasnt till i steped up to a 80 shot,i changed out the valve and havnt had trouble since,use a bottle warmer and blanket from nos there really safe to run and your bottle lasts alot longer when its warmed up,check your plugs alot,theyll tell you every thing you need to know,i personaly wouldnt go for more than a 40 shot with a scion and removing the cat may be a good idea. :twisted: