Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Broken Thermostat housing stud..

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member

Default Broken Thermostat housing stud..

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. I have a 2005 Scion xB and have had it since it was new. I'm replacing the water pump which requires the alternator to be removed. I had the great idea of replacing the thermostat at the same time since it is easier to do with the alternator removed. When I put the housing back on, I snapped one of the studs. I have a stud remover, which is a round thing that goes on a half inch drive and grips the stud, but it's too big for this. Is there some technique to getting the broken stud out and does anybody know what size stud I need to replace it? I assume this is not a rare occurrence, and it's probably somewhere on this forum, but I didn't get anything with the search feature. Thanks for your help.

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-13-2019 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator
Old 09-15-2014, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member

Glad I didn't wait for words of wisdom. PB blaster and a pair of vice grips and it came right out. I couldn't get another stud so I replaced it with a metric bolt from Lowes. All's well now.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:54 PM

Default Thank you!

I just want to say thank you! I over tightened that stud and broke it, so I believed I was seriously screwed. I learned that these studs are removable and that I can fix it. AutoZone sells replacement studs so I used one of those. I thank you immensely!
Old 03-12-2020, 07:18 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2004CSOTP
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. I have a 2005 Scion xB and have had it since it was new. I'm replacing the water pump which requires the alternator to be removed. I had the great idea of replacing the thermostat at the same time since it is easier to do with the alternator removed. When I put the housing back on, I snapped one of the studs. I have a stud remover, which is a round thing that goes on a half inch drive and grips the stud, but it's too big for this. Is there some technique to getting the broken stud out and does anybody know what size stud I need to replace it? I assume this is not a rare occurrence, and it's probably somewhere on this forum, but I didn't get anything with the Search feature. Thanks for your help.
Remove the heat shield from the headers for more leverage and remove your oil dip stick.

Then grab some small Vice Grips and turn counter clockwise that stud it should come out in matter minutes

______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-12-2020 at 09:47 AM.