Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Newbie ** Please Help ** Clutch Install..

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 02:12 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by GoldCo
Ended up picking up a new flywheel tonight from Advance Auto; not too horrible with a 25% coupon. The only problem is that apparently nobody has the flywheel bolts (called three different brands)… guess I'll be making a visit to a Toyota dealer tomorrow.

Also see that this new one doesn't come with the dowels/pins -- tips for yanking the old ones to transfer over?
After a ton of reading I reused my flywheel bolts but their part number is 9091301024

I had to get new flywheel pins too their part number is 9025008120

I tried pulling them out with some vice grips but I only destroyed them lol
Old 02-07-2021, 05:39 PM

WISH ME LUCK!

Got the new clutch installed last night finally. I seriously can't believe that the new flywheel didn't come with the pins or bolts. NOBODY had either in stock, including Toyota. The old pins weren't budging (I'm sensing a theme here) and just as I was about to return the new flywheel and just take a flap disc to the old one, I stopped by Ace Hardware…
While they do not sell 8mm metal dowels (0.3149") they do sell 5/16 metal dowels (0.3125"). So the new flywheel was installed after all, using the old bolts coated in red Loctite (after checking with a couple of old-school mechanics who affirmed they've reused flywheel bolts w/o any issue).

So now heading out to try to put this all back together, solo. Not looking forward to those rear mount bolts, but I'm trying to keep a positive "meet the challenge" attitude!

Hopefully there will be no new swear words within earshot of my kids!
Old 02-08-2021, 06:04 PM
SL Member

WISH ME LUCK!

Got the new clutch installed last night finally. I seriously can't believe that the new flywheel didn't come with the pins or bolts. NOBODY had either in stock, including Toyota. The old pins weren't budging (I'm sensing a theme here) and just as I was about to return the new flywheel and just take a flap disc to the old one, I stopped by Ace Hardware…
While they do not sell 8mm metal dowels (0.3149") they do sell 5/16 metal dowels (0.3125"). So the new flywheel was installed after all, using the old bolts coated in red Loctite (after checking with a couple of old-school mechanics who affirmed they've reused flywheel bolts w/o any issue).

So now heading out to try to put this all back together, solo. Not looking forward to those rear mount bolts, but I'm trying to keep a positive "meet the challenge" attitude!

Hopefully there will be no new swear words within earshot of my kids!
How'd it go?

I guess now you have to get a cold air intake maybe lower it? You can't just leave us after fixing the clutch LOL
Old 02-11-2021, 04:03 AM

Default THANKS

Originally Posted by mrrcom
How'd it go?
BOOYAH! Finally got it all put back together last night! (Well, 'cept for the plastic undercarriage coverings I just noticed in the corner of the garage… oops. ) Shifts / drives great!

Cleaned up the battery with baking soda, changed the oil while I had it up on jacks, and for good measure took it over this afternoon for an alignment since I had removed (axles) knuckles from ball joints and tie-rods. I will say that this was the worst "fix" I've ever done (taking the crown from previous winner: control arm bushings in an old Volvo wagon). Working solo and without a lift made this all the more frustrating, no doubt. You should've seen me trying to mate the transaxle to the motor… engine hoist, transmission jack, floor jack, and pump jack! Ridiculous.

Quick question: noticed today that upon start-up the "maintenance req'd" light flashes on and off but only for a few seconds before remaining off. Don't recall seeing that before -- could it be triggered by the oil change? Or, I know this battery isn't the strongest, especially after being out of the car for 9 days. ??

As always, these internet car forums are invaluable.
That said, hopefully I won't ever have to come back here again!
Old 02-11-2021, 05:18 AM
SL Member

Well done

Never see a maint required light on classic xB; xB2 you have to hold the button down or something every {{x}} miles when you do an oil change; probably similar.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Originally Posted by Chunjee
Well done

Never see a maint required light on classic xB; xB2 you have to hold the button down or something every {{x}} miles when you do an oil change; probably similar.
Procedure to reset the 'Maintenance Required' light is right here...

Make it Stop!
Old 02-11-2021, 11:42 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Originally Posted by MileHightC
Procedure to reset the 'Maintenance Required' light is right here...

Make it Stop!
MileHightC, Good Info!

MR LUV

Old 02-11-2021, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

@MR_LUV You know me, I like to get a little crazy now and then!
Old 12-04-2023, 04:50 AM

Thanks. So I guess there are clearly multiple ways to skin this cat, as evidenced from your two replies: one of you focused on the bolts in the subframe, the other the bolts along the side. Based on my earlier research I was hoping to not have to loosen or remove the subframe member itself.

I already have the driver side axle shaft "out" of the transaxle, but I can't maneuver it out from under since the other end is still stuck in the knuckle/hub assembly. Sounds like it is easier to deal with the tranny if I can get the axle all the way out. I assume the other side just needs to be popped free but can remain.

Sounds like a transmission jack is probably on my list now, as I'm working solo and would rather be safe than sorry.

Guess I'll go back out and try the fasteners on the front side of the X-member first. I suppose I could briefly apply some heat to the hub where the axle seems to be stuck (not the greatest idea, but so far it ain't budging).

Any other insight would be appreciated. Looks like I"ll be borrowing a car for my wife to use tomorrow.

I noticed your post about clutch installation, and I wanted to offer some guidance. Firstly, make sure you have a detailed manual or guide for your specific vehicle. It's crucial for a smooth install. Take your time and follow each step meticulously. Consider checking online forums for your specific car model; you might find user experiences and additional tips. Don't hesitate to ask questions if something seems unclear during the process. Remember, safety first! Also, I came across this helpful guide on free video cutter that might come in handy for documenting your install journey: Movavi - https://www.movavi.com/learning-port...eo-cutter.html. Best of luck with your clutch installation! Feel free to reach out if you need more assistance.
____
Thanks for the information!