Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

NST Feeler Thread ... Now turned Group Buy Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 01:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Revolt Imports
DeepSouth Scions

I had the same grinding when i get mine installed. By the time the sound registered, it had stopped grinding. Looks like it shaved enough off to spin freely. It was getting late by then, so I left it installed. It seems to be running smooth, but I've got a check engine light. The code has to do with timing. Camshaft position actuator something or other. It's running great, but I'm concerned about the timing. Should changing the pulley have had any effect on that?
Old 09-08-2009, 01:39 PM
SL Member

well mine sheared off the key pin as well as making contact with the case. the sheared pin left a deep gash on the inner circle.
hopefully NST will find a solution when they get back home.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:17 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I highly recommend that everyone hold off on installing the pulley until we have a definitive answer as to what is taking place. I don't think this is going to be a major issue to correct, as the contact seems to be minimal. However, there shouldn't be ANY contact.
I'm taking my pulley up to NST on Thursday afternoon, around lunchtime, and will let Mike take a look. Based on the photos I took, it looks like they may have to machine a little off the inside corner of the pulley, which is where there seems to be some contact. The factory pulley is beveled at this location whereas the NST pulley comes to a 90-degree corner.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:12 AM
Ely
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh man....I had this same issue with my old AP crank pulley. It would flip the power steering belts over right around 2k. Im scared t even mess with it now. I hope its resolved tho i dont wanna just sit on this sicko pulley i waited months for haha!
Old 09-10-2009, 07:36 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I met with Mike this afternoon regarding the pulley problems. As several others have experienced, my pulley was making contact with the timing cover, which was keeping the pulley out of alignment with the accessories and making noise.
According to Mike, the machine shop apparently missed the fact that the pulley should have been beveled at the inner corner, which is where the pulley was making contact. His original drawings called for that edge to be beveled, but the machine shop apparently overlooked this detail on the drawing.
They are going to send the pulleys back to the machine shop to have the edge beveled which should correct the issue. This will remove the anodized finish from that portion of the pulley, but it will not be visible since this edge will be facing the timing cover.
You can contact Mike @ NST to arrange for the correction of your pulley.
(281)917-0221
Old 09-17-2009, 04:22 AM
SL Member

NST, no word from you directly?
This really makes me afraid to put it "lightly".
Each kit is carefully crafted from 6061-T6 aircraft aluminum, tested and balanced to high tolerances.
If it was tested you have known that there was a problem.

Can I get a refund please?
Old 09-17-2009, 06:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

remember, this wasn't NST fault, but the machinist as they forgot to round off the edge.

To get direct contact...

You can contact Mike @ NST to arrange for the correction of your pulley.
(281)917-0221

Mike was going to take care of us, its just a matter of contacting him. =D That's what I'm doing tomorrow
Old 09-17-2009, 01:20 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Just to clarify, these are NOT the first pulleys for an xB to be produced by NST. There have been a handful of others that were designed, tested, and that have run without problems. The pulleys that we received were supposed to have been machined to the same spec. The machine shop screwed up (as they have a tendency to do on a regular basis) and failed to incorporate a bevel at the proper location.
Mike has stated that NST would take care of the situation and I am sure it will be resolved without a problem. As stated before, if you have any concerns with your pulley, contact Mike @ (281)917-0221 to discuss.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:36 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

According to Mike, several pulleys have been corrected. I am going to stop by there tomorrow afternoon and pick up my pulley. Unless something else comes up, I will install the pulley tomorrow evening and post the results. I am sure this minor adjustment is all that needed to take place and everything should be working well.
If you still need to have your pulley corrected, give Mike a call.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:06 AM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I picked up the corrected pulley this afternoon and completed installation this evening. Everything is working fine and the pulley does make a noticeable improvement, especially in the upper RPMs.
Thanks Mike and NST for a great product!!!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:43 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We have modified all of the pulleys in our inventory, all pulleys are now good to go!

Anyone who has one of these pulleys that needs it to be modified, please contact us by phone and I will get you squared away... 281-917-0221.

Also, anyone else who may be reading this, who missed the group buy, and is interested in picking up one of our pulleys can do so here... http://www.nonstoptuning.com/pKitToySciXAXB.htm

Thanks again everyone, good luck and have fun with all your projects!
Old 09-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 10-05-2009, 07:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just sent "goldie" Friday to ya Mike. =)