Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Plastic Dipstick Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

They've used plastic dipsticks in Japanese motorcycles and ATVs for years nothing to worry about. I've been ridign ATVs for years and never had a problem.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:55 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by IAxB
They've used plastic dipsticks in Japanese motorcycles and ATVs for years nothing to worry about. I've been ridign ATVs for years and never had a problem.
I'm glad to hear all the positives on the plastic dipstick. Thanks everyone.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:44 AM

Default Broken plastic dipstick

Originally Posted by chadfo
I think it's easier to read the against the yellow. My only reservation is the quality and that's only because I had a bad experience with a yellow plastic handle on the dipstick in my wife's car. The handle was yellow plastic and the blade was metal. One day after owning the car for about 3 years or so I attempted to check the oil and ended up with just a handle in my hand and a disptick stuck in it's shaft. I did manage to get it out by drilling into it and wedging something in the hole to pry it out. The dealer was shocked I retrieved it. He said most people have to replace the entire assemply. Enough ranting. I just hope the plastic is better quality. It is Toyota so I'm sure it is.
My stick is only about 6 inches. I suspect the rest of the stick is down in the shaft. Any ideas on how to get it out. Some have advised me to get a new stick and push the broken piece through and it won't do anything but sit at the bottom of the oil pan. ????
Old 06-22-2018, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Originally Posted by MyXb
My stick is only about 6 inches. I suspect the rest of the stick is down in the shaft. Any ideas on how to get it out. Some have advised me to get a new stick and push the broken piece through and it won't do anything but sit at the bottom of the oil pan. ????
So many ways one could go with that one...but on a more serious note, I would avoid pushing any kind of foreign material, plastic or otherwise, into the engine in the hopes it would sit at the bottom of the oil pan.

There's always the chance it could get broken up and do things like clog up an oil pump or oil galley in the engine.

Have you looked to see if you can easily remove the dipstick tube? I'd have to look but it's likely only one or two bolts and some wiggling to free it from the block.