Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Scion turned off & won't Start VCS, Check Engine Light, Trac Off light came on..

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Scion turned off & won't Start VCS, Check Engine Light, Trac Off light came on..

Hi I am new to this and I don't even know if I am posting in the right area.

I have a 2004 Scion xB. I was driving on the highway, when first (ALL ON THE PANEL) the Check Engine Light went on, Trac off went on (whatever that means?) and the VCS (whatever that means) that happened first, then 5 min. later the car just turned off. So I pulled off to the side of the freeway and the car wouldn't start. I could smell something, don't know how to describe it, it didn't seem like burnt rubber or anything, maybe a fluid smell. I cant explain, then saw a little smoke from under the hood. It wouldn't start, and still wont. I turn the key on and it has power, meaning when I try and turn the key it does make a sound. it just wont kick over, it has a weird sound like humming or something like that when I try and start it.

I just bought the car from my daughter in law, she had driven it all over and never had problems with it. I just had to get the right rear wheel bearing replaced. I got an oil change and that is it. I should have had them do a quick visual of the car. After the oil change, and the new wheel bearing, it sure drove great. That was only a week ago. I just bought it like two weeks ago. She gave me the car for practically nothing. So I have not put much money into it. I am trying to see if anyone might know what the problem is, since I cant afford to pay to get a diagnostic. At least if I know first what the problem may be then I can go from there. Price the parts, see if I can find a friend possibly that might know how to fix it. Also, know what kind of money I will need to save. Also, know something about it so I don't get ripped off LOL.

I appreciate all your help everyone. Any input will help, again am I posting this thread correctly and on the right site???

I pray that it is not the engine! could it be the sensor or the alternator or timing chain or cam gear. The car wont even start so I Don't know where to begin.

In need of desperate help.

__

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-17-2021 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 11-16-2010, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

have you tried pulling the codes yet?
Old 11-17-2010, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The dang car wont even start, I had it towed to a mechanic earlier I will let you know what happens.
Thanks
Old 11-22-2010, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What did it turn out to be?
Old 12-13-2010, 08:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Another dead xB

My 2006 xB with 4,400 miles is dead. How do you pull xB code if dash won't light up (Security light is blinking)
Interior light is okay but get nothing from ignition. Opened hood to check battery and got two honks from the horn.

Does the xB have anti-theft that shuts down the electrical if the car is tampered with?

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-17-2021 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge