Notices

My install... too much to list in a header (56k beware)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For anyone out there doing a search for this, I'm adding this so you don't waste half-a-day like I did. I was looking for the frontal area and drag coefficient of the XB. I found the answer at:
http://www.tercelreference.com/Downloads/CdA_List.htm

Make Model Year Cd Height (In) Width (In) Frontal Area (ft^2) CdA

Scion Xb 2004 - 2007 0.35 64.6 66.5 24.2 8.46

So the coefficient of drag is .35 and the frontal area is 24.2 ft^2

Hope it helps someone.

p.s. the 2008 XB is .32 while I'm at it.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and the CdA of a Miata is .38
Old 09-22-2008, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I spent an hour gathering data. I recorded rpm, throttle position, short term fuel trims and long term fuel trims. I will examine the data tomorrow and start making adjustments to the F/IC for closed loop operation. I'll update again.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

She's running!

The oil problem is fixed for the most part. I'm not losing any oil at the dipstick at least over the last four days. There is still a miniscule amount drippng from the band clamp on the exhaust housing of the turbo. I'll keep monitoring this.

I'm still setting up computers, alarms, gauge warnings, etc.

I've set the base install for the F/IC. Just did the correction factor for the injector change and made a base fuel map corresponding to this. I then datalogged about 30 minutes of driving. I extracted and formulated the data in Excel to narrow it down to 14 pages. Using this and a little gueswork for the time being, I got my STFT (short term fuel trims) between -3 and 3 at idle through "daily driving" conditions. I now have to clamp the MAP and tune for boost applications, adjust the o2 map for AFR's to the ECU, adjust the fuel map to keep trims adequate and "fine tune" things after that.

It is running really lean on the basemap at high pressure scenarios. I'm getting in the 16.5-17 range the few times I did it. But the ECU is handling this still b/c the clamp isn't set. I really need someone with a stock XB running the F/IC to datalog two WOT runs and let me see what the max voltage the MAP is seeing comes out to. I'll start another post for this to get more readership.

One other thing is that in my progress, I've unhooked my radio somehow. I have to pull the dash again and troubleshoot this.

I'll try to get a pic of the "cockpit" lol and shoot some vids of the runs. Maybe post a little data as well. Might be a the weekend before I can do any of this.

Any questions or comments, let me know.

Jason
Old 09-23-2008, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yey now hopefully you don't end up oil in the piping
Old 09-24-2008, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're gonna love this!!! I installed a kill switch!?! Somehow.. lol

I installed three switches in the factory console spot to run my interior/exterior/underbody leds. So last night, I was sitting in a parking lot tuning the box and decided to turn some of them on. As soon as I flipped the first switch, the car died.

From idle to nothing. I repeated this four times. I flipped the switch running in fifth gear and noticed the car running worse.

!?!?!?!?

Those lights are hooked up as follows:

Batt > 10 amp fuse > 3 (Three) 22 ga. wires to 3 switches that handle 20 amp each > 22 ga. to fused distribution block > 5 amp fuse for each accessory > 22 ga. to accessory.

The grounds for EVERYTHING (that I added, with the exception of the stereo and F/IC) in the car come together in one ground block to one screw.

Any ideas?
Old 09-24-2008, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow ok
you need to up that
my fogs will blow a 10amp fuse
You should start larger and get smaller
Old 09-24-2008, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've posted on 12volt's forum to see if anyone can help over there. I'll let you know what I figure out.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So yea... spinning in the rain... bad idea...
Old 09-29-2008, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm missing something here... did you have an accident, did I post something that isn't showing up, or can you read my mind? lol...

I was going to write about boost this morning.
LOVE IT.

It rained some this weekend so the only time I took the car out I was careful to stay off the throttle because of that. Weird you mentioned it.

I will tell a little about my experience, though. Thursday I had tried to go it alone. ie: Drive, watch my AFR's, monitor my STFT on the dashdyno and watch the cell I was in on the fuel map on the laptop (AEM) all at the same time. When my STFT would get off more than 3% I would try to move the mouse over the cell being used without hitting anyone/anything and pull over to a parking lot (or traffic light stop) and adjust it based off remembering the STFT %. Then take off again and handle the next one. LOL. Doesn't work well and definately NOT SAFE. DO NOT DO IT.

(Public Broadcast: I do not condone this, it was stupid, I'm an idiot who got lucky nothing bad happened. )

That being said, I got a friend to drive me around Friday night so I could do this the right way. I got 80% of the closed loop numbers within 2% STFT from the stock ECU. I haven't clamped the MAF voltage yet, so I stayed out of boost the entire time, except one pull. It ran extremely lean on that run (16.5 AFR) and I knew not to push it.

But, for that one run I started in first driving normal, got it up to 30 mph and shifted to second, dropped the clutch with 80% throttle and it broke loose. The tires stopped spinning when I got into third. lol... I need some new rubber. I can't wait to get finished, this is going to be great!

I am still throwing a DTC code. After about an hour of driving I get CEL, VSC and TRAC lights. I checked them out and it's an error that says "Catalyst System" something or other. I'm taking an educated guess that it's b/c I don't have a CAT. I'm not getting errors from fuel banks.

I also noticed a good bit of oil on the front crash bar, down the passenger side of the condensor and dripping from the bottom of the BOV. So obviously oil at some point has gotten by the compressor and up the pipe to the intercooler. I'm not sure if I'm pushing it through still or if it's risidual from my past issues that's being cleared out. This was the first time I'd hit boost so it may have been left over from the past oil issues. I'll monitor it closely and see. It's been a week and even though I'm getting a tiny bit of oil on under the turbo, I'm not seeing a loss at the dipstick.

We've got family in town this week so don't expect a whole lot for a while.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine was blowing off all over the bumper.

I get a new Rental car.. A Toyota Prius!! Spun the xB in the rain and hit a guardrail. took out the back corner.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's terrible man! I hate to hear it. Hope you didn't get hurt. Are you going to get it fixed?

And did it freak you out the first time you came to a stop in the rental and it turned off?!? lol
Old 10-01-2008, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ROFL I used to sell Toyota and sold a few Prius cars in my day. So na. Getting 45MPG mostly highway avg

Progressive called and said that the car is a "Total Loss." I have asked for a second opinion from the body shop. I know there is frame damage as the door was hard to open because of the shifted frame. It might be time for me to say goodbye to the Scion community and hello to the NASOC community.

edit: pics can be found here
Old 10-07-2008, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pat, I looked at the pics... I believe I would have totalled it too. Did you ever get a second opinion? And if by saying NASOC you mean Skyline I won't hold it against you.

I've got this one running pretty well. Here's a few shots I finally got loaded.

A few shots of getting the oil return setup:

I tried sawing off the back of the bulkhead...

But, ended up just ordering a weld-on type and painting it again.

On the inside I've gotten everything wired, swithced, fused, etc. and all is working. (Even the radio again... come to find out one of the leads from the radio harness had pulled loose in all the excitement going on under the dash.)

What a nightmare:

and a bad camera phone pic of it...

Now... Somedays I still have a good bit of oil leak from around the turbo area, and some days there is nothing at all coming from there. I don't know if it's still "breaking in" or what at this point. I still notice a little coming around the inline screen oil filter (see last pictures) even though it's all tefloned and tight. It may not be able to withstand the 80-85psi ranges at WOT. In the last two weeks i've noticed a drop of about 2 qts. at the dipstick. That has to be getting burnt. I'm not putting too much concern towards it until I get it tuned. Then I'll get back to that issue.

The latest major problem I have now is my bumper won't go on. !?!?! The big bulky brackets for the fog lights hit the charge pipe on each side of the intercooler.

Maybe Pat or Billy (if you're still around) can tell me how well yours lined up?

It seems I'm going to have to dremel the back side of the bumper off in places to make it clear.

I drove it to work today so lets see how it goes. (yes, the fenderwells are still ziptied... haha.. that's better than sticker tuning it!)
Old 10-08-2008, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NASIOC = North American Subaru Imprezza Owners Club

Currently attempting to locate one of these
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.au...mpreza_wrx.jpg

Oh and Trim out the back of the fog light deletes. Thats what I had to do. Take them out, put the bumper on, then cut to fit.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I got the bumper mounted. Thanks for the info. That's what I planned on doing. I just wondered if the piping was a true "bolt on" application or if you had to do this as well. I trimmed the back of the bumber and the deletes to get everything to fit. Only problem is that the deletes don't hold well anymore. (Got a little close to the clip on one side of each.) I was worried one was going to fall out so I left it out until I could put a screw through the back or epoxy it. Unfortunately the one I left in wasn't as snug as I thought. I found it the next day in the road near my house. Flat. Scraped. Ruined. So I'm going to pull the center black grills from the bumper as well and fabricate four new inserts. Maybe do the top grill at the same time to give a little more airflow as well.

It's running well still. I am not completely tuned yet though. Yesterday I was seeing 8 pounds of boost at 11 afr running 83% TPS. Wow this is fun. More tuning and a lot more cleaning and then some numbers for everyone.

As it sits, I'm not getting too much smoke (only after high boost runs for a short period of time) and not much drippage. At the same time, I've lost a little over a quart in a week of driving at the dipstick. :-/ Still monitoring this.

Did you settle with your car? Find you a Subaru yet?
Old 10-14-2008, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

maybe your still loosing oil at the turbo seals. sounds nice though man, keep up the good work and goodluck.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump for an update