Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Am I the only one who has this issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 01:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Am I the only one who has this issue?

I was vacuuming my car out the other day, which I rarely do. I normally take it to this car wash that does it all for me. Well I took my scion carpet mats out and started noticing that in several areas on the driver and passenger sides the actual carpet on the floor was extremely threadbare. I'm wondering if I take it to the dealer what they would be able to do? I've also been having window rattling issues, steering wheel pulling to the left (and right occasionally) and several rattles throughout the car. This carpet is really bothering me and wanted to see if anyone else has encountered it.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The carpet is pretty thin to start with...bare spots after a bit do not surprise me. The pulling left or right...is it while slowing like before a light???.....is also the road fairly highly crowned there (or rutted)???...I have had this. I am driving a Chevy Cobalt rental this week it does the same thing. I think it has to do with fairly narrow wheelbase, relatively stiff suspension, and high road crown for what I have expierienced...I do not think it is necessarily a problem with the car in my case altho every now and then it can be a bit annoying. Any pulling at speed (unless the pavement was badly uneven) I would take to a repair shop to have investigated and/or fixed.

Rattles that sound like the windows may be windows but I have found that what we thought might be window rattles were from 2 sources. 1) The lock ***** (my right door lock **** rattles some) 2) Seat belt buckles rattling against the interior side panels (front passengers belt is particularly noisy ).
Old 02-09-2007, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

yea the front half of the carpet in mine seems paper thin, really on the passenger's side, but the back carpet is nice an thick(back seats)
Old 02-09-2007, 03:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

as far as the carpet...would this be something the dealer would replace? my box has less than 15000 miles on it. also the steering seems to be while driving at higher speeds and i noticed i have to hold the steering wheel more to the left sometimes. i read a thread that had a link to toyota/scion defects with similar issues like the steering pulling to the left, window rattles, and rattling inside the car. i'm just wondering if these issues can be resolved at the dealership?
Old 02-09-2007, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The carpet I am not sure whether the dealer would provide any help on that...maybe. A pull at speed (be sure your tires are evenly inflated) would certainly be a warrantee issue. Rattles I would expect would also be a warrantee issue, altho the dealer may not be good at fixing these..(just a guess based on some prior experiences with similar complaints on new cars).
Old 02-09-2007, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

There have been several posts about people having their mats replaced under warranty. It would not hurt to try.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

its actually not on the floor mats, but the carpeting on the floor.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I'm not sure about the carpet but all the other stuff should be fixable under your warranty.

Window rattle (PDF): http://www.scionbeat.com/Ownership/NV/NV009-06.pdf

Car pulling to one side (PDF): http://www.scionbeat.com/Ownership/ST/ST005-01.pdf

The dealer is supposed to get these letters from scion and offer to fix the problem, but I hear that if they cant reproduce the problem then you might have to fight them to get it fixed.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SanchezHacker
The window rattle is actually coming from the driver side door, not the front windshield. Does this still apply?
Old 02-11-2007, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bspxb_krystal
The window rattle is actually coming from the driver side door, not the front windshield. Does this still apply?
Hmm... I'm not sure. But my xA and my friend's xB's windows don't rattle so I think you should still let the dealer take a look at it because it shouldn't be doing that.

Hope things work out for ya
Old 07-10-2008, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, it's been a long time since i've logged in... anywho, i'm still having the window rattle issue, have taken it to the dealer, and was told it's because of the hardware used and there is no fix. kinda a minute problem, but still annoying. i drive a 06 xb, and my windows rattle like i'm driving a hoopty. anyone else encounter this issue since my initial post?
Old 07-10-2008, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

mine do that is just something that you have to deal with or just roll them all the way down
Old 07-16-2008, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, that's a pretty crappy solution... anyone else?
Old 07-16-2008, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Even when new they rattle unless about half way down or more. It is the shape of the glass and the track they ride in which doesn't hold them very tightly when they are open. You might try opening up the door and see what is loose and maybe add some tension or a . . . ha ha . . . bunge cord in there to hold the bottom of the window with some tension.

I have a funny feeling that you guys and gals with dark colored xBs are getting cooked in the hot sun and it affects the windshield causing the rattles. Mine has always been nice and quiet - Polar White and parked in the shade most of the time.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my windows rattle if they are half way down and someone closes that particular door

anyone else have this or have a fix for this?
Old 10-22-2008, 09:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get you some edead or some other sound deadener, put in your doors (inside the sheetmetal, and on the back of the door panel.

It absorbs the sound and vibration. I don't hear the rattle anymore and i can shut my door and sounds like a solid door not a piece of tin.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah the front glass fits very loosely in the tracks when they are half way down even just driving on the road will cause rattling. I generally put them all the way down or at least 2/3 to 3/4 down or keep them closed to keep the road dirt out of the car. The rear windows are not as bad but at anything over 35 you get wind buffeting which bothers my ear drums unless they are open about 1/2 inch or less.

I have had several people really slam the rear driver side door and I really don't know why they do it - You would think they were closing a 30 year old pickup truck door or something. It only takes 1 finger to push it closed although lately they are getting a little stiff from lack of use.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey sunny how much did it cost for the sound deadner

and how long did the project take?