Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

UMPC devices = awesome car computers!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default UMPC devices = awesome car computers!

I have been thinking about getting a Pioneer AVIC D1 for my XB, but I had a hard time justifying the $1500 price tag. Today it was announced that a new line of PCs was coming out very soon caled UMPC, or Ultra Mobile Personal Computers. Basically, these things are huge PDAs/small Tablet PCs, but what makes them special is the 30+ GB Hard drive, 7" Touch screen and connection options. No pricing has been released yet, but it is speculated to be in the $500 - $1000 range. There are different models from different companies, but they all have the same basic feature-set. The Asus model looks the best out of the bunch, and would look perfect on that big empty dashboard between the steering wheel and windshield of my XB.

links:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/09/h...founder-umpcs/

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/umpc/default.mspx
Old 03-09-2006, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it is still a 1GHZ Pentium M
will barely be good for video playback (if at all)
audio will be easy though

why not build a PC (mATX or mini-ITX)
or the new AOpen MiniPC (1.7 Pentium M + DVD burner + video out)

so many other options.....
Old 03-09-2006, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1Ghz is just fine for video playback. The processor in these is more powerful than what you find in any DVD player. Besides, why would I want to build a mini ATX or go with the Aopen mini when this has a screen included and will fit on my dashboard. Every other option available requires the purchase of a touch screen/head unit with video input and installation. Everything I need is already in one package, which is also extremely portable. Of course, I am assuming these are under $1000.

These look about 1" deep so finding room to mount it in the XB will be easy. I was trying to come up with a justification to buy the AVIC D1, but this makes much more sense.

What makes these a great value for me is their portability. It's a single device that can go with me. I have given serious thought to building a PC for my car in the past but the cost + installation hassles put me off. With this I just set it on my dashboard and go. I don't have to tear anything out and can move it from car to car. Assuming the pricing rumors are true, I will be getting one.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check out my computing solution:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...434&highlight=

Similar to the UMPC idea but a little more expensive. but the cool thing is i can just unplug my tablet and take it to work/school wherever I want. it has a 1.5 ghz cpu, 512 mb ram and 60 gigs of disk space! i use it for navigation, music and movies. when i am compelled to, I'm going to attach a usb camera and run the camera to the back of the car so i have a backup cam also!
- sh00k