Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Using the AUX port...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 04:52 AM

Default Using the AUX port...

I have the cord for the mp3 to the scion's port, but how do I get it to show up/play on the head unit? It's a stock '06 xB. I talked to scion on the phone, they said there should be a "AUX" button but there isn't. There are no ***** on this head unit. I can take pictures if needed. It'g got to be something simple that I'm missing. I checked the owners manual, it said to check the audio manual but my scion did not come with one so I'm hoping one of you can help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Matt
Old 06-29-2007, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Aux button is on the headunit itself but it uses the headphone jack in the center console. If your looking for the actual IPod add-on, you have to purchase it.

http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...&parts_id=1203
Old 06-29-2007, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it sounds like you dont even have the right headunit if you say you have no *****, people correct me if im wrong, but i think the "06.5" that has this radio, so the first 06's did not. oh yeah, and if you did have the right radio, your mp3/ipod info wont show up on the headunit, youll have to use your actual player to select songs, unless you have the i pod upgrade head unit like 06BOX mentioned above
Old 06-29-2007, 05:34 AM

So....Basically I'm screwed? I know where to plug it in and stuff, but there's no aux button like I stated.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:43 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you have the "AUX" input jack on the console and the remote buttons on your steering wheel your xB should have come with a head unit that has a volume **** in the center. If you have the AUX jack and steering wheel controls, but the older pushbutton only radio (with buttons for volume) they installed the wrong radio. If they installed the '05 radio in an '06.5 box, they need to replace that at their expense. If they baulk, contact Scion directly at their toll free number: (866) 707-2466

If you do not have the steering wheel controls and AUX jack, you do not have the '06.5 xB with the AUX input wiring as standard.

If you are hoping to connect directly to an iPod and control it from the head unit, you need an "upgrade" head unit with that feature, and a separate "iPod" input jack that is NOT the "AUX" jack.

Hope that all helps a little bit...

Old 06-29-2007, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heres a pic of my 06.5 radio (sorry for the bad quality) does your unit have the circle **** in the center? see thos two buttons next the the circle **** on the right, well the bottom one is the aux button, if yours does not look like this, then you have the wrong radio

Old 06-30-2007, 04:43 AM

Nope, looks nothing like that.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:02 AM

"If you do not have the steering wheel controls and AUX jack, you do not have the '06.5 xB with the AUX input wiring as standard. "

That describes my scion. What do I need to do, will scion put in a head unit that WILL work with the aux port? Or am I SOL on this one and have to purchase an aftermarket head unit?
Old 06-30-2007, 05:37 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's the pre-'06.5 model, and I believe only the upgrade head unit for those earlier models came with the wiring, etc. for an iPod - I could be wrong about that, though - maybe even the UG HU didn't have the input...

Hope someone with an '04-early'06 upgrade head unit chimes in. If that would work, maybe someone has one they tore out to replace with an aftermarket unit - otherwise it can get rather expensive...

Tom
Old 06-30-2007, 06:00 AM

That's a big bummer. Thanks Tom.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you buy the car new or used? Does the radio itself say Scion and Pioneer on it?

Old 06-30-2007, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
Hope someone with an '04-early'06 upgrade head unit chimes in. If that would work, maybe someone has one they tore out to replace with an aftermarket unit - otherwise it can get rather expensive...
I have an early 2006 xB and I have the HU you showed w/ a 3.5" jack in the center console but NO IPod jack (I just use the 3.5" jack).

Early 06's have the aux button but not steering wheel controls - 06.5's as people call them have both (3.5" jack AND steering wheel controls )
Both have the 3.5" jack in the center console - standard, the IPod control part is either the upgraded HU or the attachment I linked to
Old 06-30-2007, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The manual for the 2005 HU is available here: http://www.scion.com/#referenceGuides.html
I don't know why your 06 has an 05 HU (are you sure it's really an 06?), but looking at the manual I didn't see any mention of AUX feature. Looks like you'll to upgrade to the 06 to get that, or just wait until the new HU from the xD becomes available.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:32 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, Here's the deal, if the xB has the AUX jack it should have come with the '06 head unit that allows it to be used. If your box is indeed an '06 with the AUX jack, or the '06.5 with the AUX jack and steering wheel controls it should have the '06 head unit in it, not the '05 head unit that you seem to have.

Here's an old pic of my '05 dash with the STOCK radio:

And here's a pic of an '06.5 dash with an upgrade radio. The stock radio is just like it except for the extra ***** on either side of the center escutcheon.

'03-'05 should have had the knobless radio as stock.

'06 and '06.5 should have a radio with a center volume control ****.

If you got a new '06 from the dealership and it did not have the '06 radio in it, they were probably just grabbing ANY Scion radio off the shelf, and stuffed an '03-'05 head unit in your new car.

They should correct that. If not, Scion should get on them about it...

What it boils down to is if the xB came with the AUX jack wiring built in, it should have had the compatible "volume ****/AUX in" head unit installed by the dealer.

Hope this helps. (If you need a pic of the STOCK '06 head unit, just ask. I'm not feling well, so I didn't go out to my xA or xB to take a pic of the stock "****" unit, but will if you need.)

Tom
Old 06-30-2007, 07:57 PM

That's what ours looks like.

We got it used from CARMAX.... will they do anything about this?
Old 06-30-2007, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MattG
We got it used from CARMAX.... will they do anything about this?
Well that explains it, seems like whoever sold that car to carmax took out the 06 HU and kept it for themselves and put in an 05 HU. Carmax probably couldn't tell the difference, If carmax advertised the car as having the AUX feature then you might be able to get them to buy you an upgraded unite. If they didn't, then looks like your out of luck.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:14 PM

Ok. I'll look back through stuff we have and see if there is anything that mentions the aux port feature included... Thanks.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:41 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, pretty much what Sanchez said: Usually a "used" vehicle is an "as is" vehicle except for any warranty that may be remaining or added by the seller. Warranty will pretty much cover that the parts provided are not defective, and that's about it.

If they specifically advertised that the AUX feature was there, you might be able to get some help there, but probably your best route is to find someone selling an '06 head unit (usually because they are putting in something fancier). That's how I got the '06 head unit to stuff in my older box. Prices are sometimes quite reasonable (mine was in the $50 range).

Tom