Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Stock shocks and struts

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 12:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Stock shocks and struts

Just looking for evryones input:

I have ordered up some DF210's and before someone jumps on me, no this is not another thread about the springs. I have researched these springs heavily and found them to be quite the investment.
Anyways, my question is how many of you are rolling on the stock struts/ shocks vs. Aftermarket (such as the "trd" struts/ shocks which are actually "waydoo" with the blue housing). Has damage occured to you're stock struts/ shocks due to improper valving in corespondence to the spring rates?
I can get them relativley cheap if need be, but i am simply going for looks and slightly better handling, but at the same time i dont want to start breaking things.
Thanks

p.s. you dont have to have the tanabes to reply, any input regaurding spring rates vs. stock valving would be greatly appriciated as it is all relavent
Old 10-18-2006, 12:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

I have the NF210's and the first thing I noticed was how much worse the stock shocks and struts rode.

To solve the problem I swapped out the struts with monroe's and the rear shocks with Koni's.

The ride is soo much better there is no comparing the two.

Good luck.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well,
this morning a bone stock 06 xa came in for springs and a short shifter....yup thats right, springs no struts/ shocks. Not going to lie, the thing rode like straight up crap when i was done. The ride was harsh, handeling was poor, and the car was very bouncy. Granted the springs didnt have time to settle, but i will definatley be upgrading my struts/ shocks as well.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have installed DF210s on the wife's xB. Right now she is riding on stock shocks and struts. I think the front struts are fine, but I will be swapping the rear shocks out for a set of Monroes. Just haven't had the chance yet. The ride isn't bad at all right now for a lowered car. But it will be much better once I get the rear shocks installed.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

I did the rear shocks before the struts and it rode better, but if you do the struts it makes a huge diff.