Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Advice on damage with car wash!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Advice on damage with car wash!

Went through car wash yesterday - in middle I hear a large thud - then vehicle stopped moving for 5 or 6 seconds - assumed was rear brushes hitting glass.
I leave wash and pull over to put on cell antenna and bottom left bumper is lying on ground - and underneath tabs that are below and on side are torn - side odf bumper is pulled out horizontally where it attaches by fender. Looks like need new rear bumper - top and bottom.
I go to car wash to show them damage. They said they did not cause it.
They asked me "Would I like to walk through car wash to see that there is nothing that low that could cause damage? I said all "I know is when I went in my car was perfect and when I came out my bumper is hanging on the ground".
The owner was supposed to call me today - but he has not. So what is best advice...
I called insurance company. They could try to fight it, but if they decide not to - I will give up my right. I was thinking of small claims. . . - any suggestions - should I call the car wash one more time? Thanks in advance . . .
Old 04-23-2007, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you went to the wash and they did not note that your bumper was hanging on by a thread, then they have to admit liability. If the bumper was dragging, they never should have let you thru the wash.....I used to work at a drive thru car wash and they have insurance for these things, but they have to try to weed out the folks that are trying to get free repairs.
Call the owners, call the cops to fill out an accident report, call your insurance, call the car wash's insurance...If you still get the run around, call the BBB and file a complaint, but you will have to have all your ducks in a row before they will get involved.

Good luck!
Old 04-23-2007, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Carwash

Thanks for the reply - question since you worked at carwash - If I try to claim it with my insurance - is it likely my insurance company will pursue car wash - when I do I have to give my rights of fighting claim to the insurance company - and if they decide to give up case, I can no longer pursue case. Or do you think I may have better luck with small claims court.
Thanks again.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it were me, Id give the wash one last chance to make it right. Talk to the owner, not the manager.

Then go to their insurance, tell them the wash did the damage and refuses to help. Their ins can lean on the owner to get this settled. Last resort is your ins, because it might not meet your deductable.

Last last resort is court...life aint like judge judy. Court means time off work, you can bet the wash already has a lawyer, where I bet you don't.

As far as I know, you can go to court no matter what your ins wants to do. If they don't want to persue it, you can on your own as long as it is a timely mannor.

If it were me, I'd go to the wash, have a face to face with the owner, stay professional...I try to tell my wife that as soon as you loose your temper, you lost your argument....they can then say you are unresonable if you allow them to p*ss you off. If it is like the wash I was at, the manager is keeping the incedent from the owner... Managers are easy to find, customers aren't.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

The wash I usually go through has signs posted saying they are liable for damages done to the car, only excluding aftermarket stuff... if they scratch the lip on your rims, they aren't responsible, however, according to your profile, you aren't dropped (and even then, it'd be negligible) so as far as I'm concerned, they should take responsibility for the damage. Definitely try to find the owner, and take pictures if you haven't done so already. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, they aren't responsible for aftermarket stuff, but you can point out the bumper is stock.