Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

LED Turn Signal Relay vs Load Resistors

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Smile LED Turn Signal Relay vs Load Resistors

Thought I would start a newer thread on this topic as this might be a popular mod for current XB1 owners....

Also wanted to Thank the others & former owners who posted on this topic in years past !!!

I have been converting my Rear Tails to LED bulbs along with other projects....

I did a fair amount of reading about the Hyper-Flash issue with LED turn signal bulbs, and folks using Load Resistors to get around that "problem" , and other folks seemed to feel "safer" using the modded Flasher relay that a few places sell; although using the Relay will apparently disable the car's ability to let you know when a bulb is out, by generating that hyper-flash.

The one recurring theme with the Load Resistors is the amount of heat they produce....Most folks felt the 50 watt 6-10 ohm resistors did the best job, altho some promoted using a bigger ohmage (resistance) in an effort to drop the heat down some....

I decide to go with the Modded Flasher Relay option. I didn't really want those load resistors tucked away baking each time I was sitting at a traffic light for extended periods. I was VERY happy to see that the new relay still allows the Lock / UnLock flashes to work while also allowing the new LED turn signal bulbs (Rear only at this time) to operate normally.

The Modded Relay cost about $15.00 + shipping from autolumination.com Load resistors are required for each conventional LED turn signal bulb you install, so I think the price is about equal more or less.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm in the process of switching mine over right now. Got 'em all from China for cheap. Just waiting on the final four bulbs. Anyway, I figured it must be the relay that was triggering the hyperflash. Thanks for confirming with this new thread. Can you post a link of the exact modded relay your purchased? Is there any problem just leaving them in hyperflash?
Old 05-01-2012, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just got some LED turns for the front. I dont mind the hyper flash, seems more safe to me anyway...
Old 05-03-2012, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hyperflash makes you look like you don't know how to fix it.

Someone post Pics of where the flasher goes!
Old 05-04-2012, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like making my car stand out the most. Hyper flash assists in this objective. Idc what people think, but if they notice me and my toaster, I could care less. :D
Old 05-04-2012, 05:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zman
Hyperflash makes you look like you don't know how to fix it.

Someone post Pics of where the flasher goes!
Might also give you some attention you don't want. I can imagine a cop following you to try to figure out what light isn't working.

I wish the OP would post a link for the flasher that was mentioned. Meanwhile, here is a lot of info including pics of the flasher and location: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-1st-gen-aero-exterior-1607/xb-my-easy-clear-tail-light-mod-68870/