Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Rear Suicide Doors Project **NEW PICS 26th Updated**

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

sweet work as usual man
Old 01-02-2006, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by dgHotLava
Originally Posted by UncivilizedRacer
so 5 grand to just suicide the rear doors?
you make it sound like all you have to do is slap it on there...

there is sooooo much detail work, cutting, structural work, re-wiring, painting and body work.

5,000 is a decent price for all this work..
Ummmm....I wasnt talking to you so please let him respond. My question was in responce to his stating that 2 grand would go into the lamboing of the front doors. So i was trying to verify the price with him. Thanks for your insite but just seems you are trying to be a smarta$$ and that is not what I am looking for in this thread. I have talked to him before and Might be willing to drive to his shop and have it dropped off to have audio work done as well and just need to know the amount i might be looking to spend. I understand the price would be decent and doesnt bother me since money to me doesnt matter. Cant take it with me when I die so spend spend spend!
Old 01-02-2006, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

there is sooooo much detail work, cutting, structural work, re-wiring, painting and body work.

Ummmm....I wasnt talking to you so please let him respond. My question was in responce to his stating that 2 grand would go into the lamboing of the front doors. So i was trying to verify the price with him. Thanks for your insite but just seems you are trying to be a smarta$$ and that is not what I am looking for in this thread. I have talked to him before and Might be willing to drive to his shop and have it dropped off to have audio work done as well and just need to know the amount i might be looking to spend. I understand the price would be decent and doesnt bother me since money to me doesnt matter. Cant take it with me when I die so spend spend spend!

if you elaborate a bit in your responses or direct you comments towards a user you will not get misinterpreted. (or even take your convo to PM's). otherwise just deal with the comments you get.

his price quoting sounded very straight forward to me.
3600 for the lambo
5000 for the suicide rears.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

must be nice. spend spend spend. wish I could do that
Old 01-02-2006, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05

must be nice. spend spend spend. wish I could do that
It isnt nice....JUST LOTS OF FUN!
Old 01-08-2006, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

bump for progress?
Old 01-08-2006, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Holidays have been way to busy .... havent had a day to touch the car since before xmas. booked 3 cars a day for the new 3 weeks 6 days a week for myself so I will be back on the project in feb.

Pretty much everything done the lathc works the striker works.. Im just in the process of making the stock handle open the latch in the b-pillar , running the wires, and cleaning it all up.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

So are you gonna be done by the peruzzi show
Old 01-09-2006, 11:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Yea I should have it done by then.....
Old 01-10-2006, 03:08 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

thats looks awsome man i know all the hard work you put into this project and who ever said it couldnt be done was crazy.. I wish I had pics of one of my friend 4wd 4 door blazer that had the rear door suicide and it came out nuts and I saw how it was done and it look like the same concpet you used.. and alot of reinforments like oyu said.. but all i knowis thatoyu could hang on that door it it wouldnt sag..

I know that well prob see you XB graceing the pages or even the cover of a mag one day...

SO big props from HAwaii Man..
Old 01-10-2006, 09:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

kudos to you. not really my style to trick out doors but i like them better than lambo doors. looks good
Old 01-10-2006, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is sooooo sweet!!! ive admired your work ever sinbce the NHRA show when i got the whole line of people lost hahaha!!! but your work is amazing and i wanna be the first person to have you help me with this and my lambo doors ($$$$)!!! haha! keep up the good work and i will talk to you soon!!!!
Old 02-18-2006, 08:51 AM
5 Year Member

Any update on progress? Has anyone seen this lately? I would love to hear how it is looking maybe some final pics? *BUMP FROM IRAQ*
Old 02-18-2006, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Acutally I do have new pics of the door cleaned up and finished.

My car is under going a complete overhaul right now with new kit , new rims, new paint , new seats, new fiberglass door panels and trunk. So pretty much a entire new look to the car.

I think Im going to post new pics once everythings done which will be the end of next month.

Ill do a close up of the door jam though. Im headed to work later today Ill take pics of the car when I go in.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by SmartAss
Acutally I do have new pics of the door cleaned up and finished.

My car is under going a complete overhaul right now with new kit , new rims, new paint , new seats, new fiberglass door panels and trunk. So pretty much a entire new look to the car.

I think Im going to post new pics once everythings done which will be the end of next month.

Ill do a close up of the door jam though. Im headed to work later today Ill take pics of the car when I go in.
are the panels something you can make a mold of? Damn all these people wanting to take the cheap way out... Sorry I did actually read the entire thread every single comment in here and I have so much respect for you and your occupation. I want to go to a trade school to learn auto paint in body once I get into the nursing field... yeah i know sounds crazy but I am hopeing that if I get a good night schedule I can do tech school durring the day on my off days..... I have attempted to do body work on a project civic I had which didn't turn out too bad but I am sure that if I would have anyone with some know how lend a hand could have turned out pretty good.. I am inspired to learn more by your work.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I can do molds but its really not worth it for me becuase I have to make the mold smooth it out and then use it to make copies, unless I was making a couple hundred its just not worth it when I can make them different with about an extra 30 min rather then doing a mold.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member

how much time goes into glassing door panels I know there are a bunch of variables that are involved but could you gimme a very rough estimate?
Old 02-18-2006, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

About 2-8 hours depeneding on the variables.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:22 AM
5 Year Member

bump.. back to the thread topic. when do you think you're gunna start doing this mod for profit?
Old 02-19-2006, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Once mine is finished and painted. I want to test out the durability as well. I know I was holding all my weight on the hinges and swinging on it again last week bu tI want to see how it goes after time.

Theres alot of variables Im not happy with like the fact I had to use door poppers in the B pillar becuase a cable run wouldnt work correctly through the hindge area.

And I dont see myself really doing this for less then $5000 becuase of all the things needed to be done, materials arent expensive but everything runs about $600 now. Ill have to send it to body and paint so they can finish that part up and the entire door jam area needs to be painted over. The main thing is the amount of time it takes to do it. I was pretty deep into the hours for the one side and I spent another 8 hours on it just cleaning it up. I still need to clean the door up and the pillar, run the wires and hook up the popper to my alarm which will take me another 8 hours.

Im thinking this is taking about 50 hours per side.

$100 hours, my labor rate is usually $85 an hour for custom work.

I hardly ever go by hours, but if Im doing custom fiberglass work its easier for me to spend 50 hours on a car doing that and make alot more off of it.

I dont think its worth the reliablity and time for me becuase I still done know if I can warrenty it as to all my fiberglass work I warrenty it all for lifetime and know its done right.

I only see doing this for close friends who really dont care are there with me everyday I work on it and want to throw me a little cash. I did it to my car mainly becuase my back doors never open. I have no doubt it will last forever its just the resposibility that comes with it.

If I was a bigger shop with bigger welders and all the right tools no problem. Im still getting started up and dont want something to bring me down right now.

Give it a year or 2