Go Back  Scionlife.com > Scion xB Classic > Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
Reload this Page >

Anyone Have VERY Subtle Noise When Accelerating??? (xB)

Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Anyone Have VERY Subtle Noise When Accelerating??? (xB)

Old 06-13-2006, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member

Just brought it in to the dealer to get my steering prob. looked at (another issue). I think it's fine actually, the accel. noise must be normal, as I have a courtesy car xB that is brand new, and sounds EXACTLY the same. But I mentioned it anyways. Who knows ;)
Old 08-20-2006, 07:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: "buzzing" from my passenger side B-pillar

Originally Posted by ScoobyVan
The sound I get is a slight "buzzing" from my passenger side B-pillar...it's intermittent and I can't determine the cause...it happens with the window up or down, radio on or off...car cold or warm...

It's very slight and I'm not sure I want the dealer messing with it to try to find out what it is...

Anyone else have it? Is this just another one of the xB rattles we have to live with?
I totally have the same issue with my xB and have had it since the day I drove it home. I have had various theories on what it might be. A loose right dash speaker grille, passenger windshield wiper vibration, vibration of the plastic water "tray/trough" underneath the wipers that rests against the windshield, and even thought maybe the windshield wasn't sealed properly and might actually be letting air in somewhere.

I drive on the highway a lot back and forth to work and it is a very annoying sound that is present every day. I try to keep the radio loud enough as so I won't hear it, but it just bugs me to know it's there. I have thought about having the dealer check it out, but wouldn't even really know how to describe the noise or it's origin to them. I guess it's just a little annoyance i'm going to have to deal with as i've yet to be able to pinpoint the source and rectify it. Grrrrrrrrr.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have thesame prob. 2-3k rpms it makes it in almost all gears. i took my caps off way b4 it started makeing the noise. so i rellay dont know whats wrong. its not the engine its the transmission or of something else that moves with it.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: it is the system check

Originally Posted by Taknitez
Yep, he is right.....

It is not a twig or anything rolling around. It is in the owners manual. It "is" our anti-lock brakes and traction control doing a "self check" to make sure all is well. It should only do it after you have "started the car and put it in either reverse or drive and for the first 5 feet or so." If it is doing it everytime you come to a stop sign or stop light, then either it is messed up or you do have a twig or bolt rolling around.
Is this also why I can't get in reverse about a third of the time right after starting?
Old 10-16-2006, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok so this is a little off topic but someone else touched on the subject that is tormenting me. No matter what hupcaps im running they all click while you are going down the road. This is the first car ive had that doesnt have alloys so its all new to me. Do all hupcaps click? Ive gone nuts and bought like 3 sets of caps for this thing. I know i should just go but some rims but im waiting till i need my first set of tires. Any thoughts???
Old 10-17-2006, 12:11 AM
Admin Emeritus
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just run bare steelies until you get your alloys if the clicking really drives you nuts. Most wheelcovers do click and tick, especially on corners.

Tomas
Old 10-17-2006, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

I drove the dealer's xb for 2 weeks, had 18000+ miles on it when I got it(less then 19k) I drove the dog out of that car, just to make sure nothing would fall apart before I got mine, I drove it like I stole it, and didn't notice any noises, other then the annoying buzz of the TRD exhaust, and the bumpy ride of the stock 18's, and when I say I drove the dog out of it, I was taking turns way faster then I should, locking up the e-brake everything I could think of to make sure nothing would go wrong, but I've noticed some noises from my engine between 2 and 4k rpm, a ticking
Old 10-17-2006, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've noticed the whine more since I sound deadened the interior. Someone advised me I'm hearing the alternator

Just another annoyance to deal with (sound proof the firewall)
Old 10-17-2006, 02:27 AM
Admin Emeritus
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any possibility that 'whine' might be very low level from the speakers, Maria?
Old 10-17-2006, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
Any possibility that 'whine' might be very low level from the speakers, Maria?
I would seriously not doubt that - the ground for the aux import in my 06 had to get a filter so I may have to check the grounding.

I wish there wasn't always more to do and I could just take a break. I'm still sore from all the "alterations" I did this weekend.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:14 AM
5 Year Member

SL Member

i have the exact same problem and the dealer couldnt hear it. it does happen at lower rpms and it sounded like a chain rattling. this seems too be the most reasonable answer i've seen so far.
Originally Posted by auher
Alright, I'm stealing this from another site, but I think this is the case. Those who are more mechanically inclined than I can prob. comment on the validity of this.

Quotation:
> I have an automatic 03 Corolla with 53,000km's. It's making a light,
> metalic, tinkling noise when I accelerate gently. When I press the gas
> harder you can't hear it - but it never seems to go awaye even after
> the car's been driven on longer runs - it keeps on tinkling. I thought
> it was pinging due to use of low octane fuel, but I've been using mid
> grade and premium gas consistently for a couple of months now and it's
> still there. Any ideas?

I own a 2003 Corolla also. The exhaust crackle you describe is not a flaw
... it's a "feature". There are several reasons for the phenomenon.
1) The exhaust header manifold faces the passenger compartment. In earlier
generation Corollas, the manifold faced the radiator.
2) The exhaust header manifold is a welded tubing affair. In earlier
generations, the manifold was thick cast iron.
3) This engine (1ZZFE) has VVT-i which is an electronically controlled
hydraulic variable intake cam timing mechanism. The exhaust crackle you
hear is the result of running more advanced intake cam timing (increased
valve overlap) under medium throttle at lower revs than at light throttle.
VVT-i can alter intake cam timing over a 40 degree range as the ECU sees
fit.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

its simply the small hampsters getting their wheels moving in our 1.5L of fury going, completely normal.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Admin Emeritus
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 04-06-2007, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't believe nobody posted: "that subtle noise you hear is the engine, lol."

I have this problem, too, and I've got nearly 30,000 miles on my box....but it's entire possible I didn't notice the first 29,999 because I had the radio on too loudly.

To me, it sounded like the engine was trying to cough something up, but the twig description is perfect. (I love the sound of that, btw...it sounds so important. "My daily commute was a mystery, until the revolutionary Twig Description was published. Then my entire life changed!")

Just to clarify that this is the same thing - I've heard a few references to the passenger b-pillar. To me, it sounds like it's coming from under the passenger footwell, like my box has a chest cold in one of its valves and needs to hack something up. Doesn't affect handling at all, just that SKRIK-SKRIK-SKRIP-SKRCKRKCKRKCKRKCKRCKK! noise. Now that you mention it, it does kinda sound like hamsters.

Is this the same thing?
Old 04-28-2007, 02:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by AdioScion05
I have a weird noise at 1800-2400rpms. It sounds like something is rattling or a pully is loose. Its a high pitch rattle that ONLY does it at 1800-2400rpms, and it doesnt matter if im goin 20mph or 80mph its the same noise but of course your can hear it better wehn your not flying down the road. My dad sadi he noticed it the first day I brought it home but I just ignored it. I took it to the dealer though but of course they didnt hear anything or find anyhting wrong.

My car has this...... any ideas? or fixes?
Old 07-17-2011, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AKgoalie7 View Post
I've got the same thing in that RPM range. Subtle higher pitch squeal. My gut says its a squeaky pulley, maybe the alternator. Who knows, I gave up looking into it. I'm switching to a strup exhaust so I won't even be able to hear those little annoying sounds anymore, lol.

I think its fine, just weird.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by AKgoalie7 View Post

try new belts
Old 07-17-2011, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have this twig noise or whatever was said in the original post from like 6 years ago! i never paid much attention to it. i learned at a young age not to worry about noises especially if you can't hear it with the music turned up at a moderate volume. it's when you can hear the motor knocking inside the car, or when the front end is making so much clunking you can hear that too, and feel it. that's when you gotta worry about things. i've had this noise or feel whatever you wanna call it since i got the car just like the bouncing air box another poster had in another thread. i'm not worried about either. if you start to worry about every single noise you hear you will make yourself gray.

a couple weeks ago i went on vacation, and had a lot of bags in my car. between me, and my son. had to fold the back seat down. well sometime during the middle of the week i'm riding with my brother in law in the back seat, and my son up front. when night it was raining, and i took my son to get ice cream cause we couldn't walk, because it was pouring. we got our ice cream, and i'm thinking the noise i got going over bumps sounds like a horrible squeak. it sounded really high pitched to me. i'm bad at identifying what area a noise comes from. don't know if it's my age now or what. so my brother in law is in the back the next day, and tells me my back seat wasn't locked when it was put back up. that was after i pointed the noise out to him.

unrelated story just saying though. noises will drive you crazy.