Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Dashboard/Spedometer RATTLE ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member

Default Dashboard/Spedometer RATTLE ???

Are there any other xa owners that have or had the dashboard rattle? What the hell is it and how do i get rid of it Please help. Although my system blocks out the noise, it bugs me when I'm not bumping. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2005, 04:44 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got it too but the dealership can't find the problem/locate the nosie or hear the nosie what so ever i think there deaf!!!
Old 02-17-2005, 05:02 AM

The rattle has been pinpointed to the pioneer deck's metal housing rattling against something inside. You could open it, but doing so would void the warranty on the deck =X

Old 02-17-2005, 07:33 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by cloudnine
pinpointed to the pioneer deck's metal housing
If this is so, this is interesting because I don't have the stock deck in anymore. I have a different system. Do you know if it is something behind the deck like in the middle of that dash area that needs to be tightened or "cut off" (j/p)? Seriously though, it drives me crazy!

RATTLING
Old 02-17-2005, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

This has been discussed many times, I'm just too lazy to do a search for you. As I recall, people say it comes from the area of the speedometer (roughly where it happens on my xA anyways). Some people have taken their cars to the dealer and they've had the dash ripped apart and in the end it either only got a little better or stayed the same. Good luck trying to get it fixed though.

Originally Posted by jrolb52
Originally Posted by cloudnine
pinpointed to the pioneer deck's metal housing
If this is so, this is interesting because I don't have the stock deck in anymore. I have a different system. Do you know if it is something behind the deck like in the middle of that dash area that needs to be tightened or "cut off" (j/p)? Seriously though, it drives me crazy!
I've taken my stock Pioneer deck out and apart (I wanted to see if it was possible to change the color of the display by soldering new LEDs in it), and I still have the dash rattle, so I don't think that's the problem...
Old 02-18-2005, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when i switched out my stock head on my xb the rattling stoped, but i have some problem with the engine knocking in idle now
Old 02-18-2005, 09:17 PM

I really doubt changing the head would cause your engine to knock on idle

You should bring it into the dealership to have them check it out. It could be a problem with the knock sensor, but I'm just guessing here.

Another dash rattle I've read about is the loose wires behind the glove box. Pop out the glove box and tape the wires with some electrical tape to make sure they're secure.

Old 03-10-2005, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually my wife brought the car to our local dealership, and here were what they told her:
1) Tested drove the car and found no rattling.
2) Must be the ground wire mod that I did for her, which they indicated an aftermarket upgrade for her aftermarket *Pioneer Scion* Stereo deck.
3) High possibility of the intake combo and aftermarket Stereo mod in the engine causing the rattling, which they will not honor, EVEN if they found the noise.

Hmmm...guess that means I have to find it for her once the weather gets warmer.