Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Which dealer is telling the truth? Can I have your opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Which dealer is telling the truth? Can I have your opinions?

So here's the deal... I went to THREE different dealers, each told me something different.

Dealer #1 said it's 2 months to get a xB.

Dealer #2 said it's 2 months to get a xB.

Dealer #3 said 7-10 days...and I ordered one from them. (Said he'll call me Tuesday to tell me exactly when it comes in.) He called some guy while I was sitting there and he's like "How long until I can get an xB? .... 7-10 days?.... Ok, thanks."

Soooo I go back to Dealer #1 and tell them what Dealer #3 said. They said the only way they can get the car that fast is if they swap the manual car for an automatic (the one I want.) They also threw in that THEY had a manual on the lot that they could swap for me and they could guarantee me the car in like 2 weeks....if I put $500 down. I told them "No, I already put $100 down at the other dealer"... They said "They just took your $100 and they can't do anything with that. They aren't getting you the car unless they swap and you said they have no other xBs on the lot. They won't get be getting more in. They just don't send cars out like that"

My questions are... Was the 1st dealer just trying to sucker me into buying it from them in stead? Can you only get a new xB in 7-10 days if you swap one for another? Is dealer #3 the one lying to me?

I don't know what to think. After leaving that 3rd dealer, I was SO happy. Now I'm kinda going nuts over this and it kinda makes me upset. I know that sounds stupid, but I just really need the car. I sold my other one to get this one...and now I have no transportation.

I guess we'll have to wait until Tuesday to see who is telling the truth, eh? But in the mean time, what do ya'll think?

SORRY IF I CONFUSED ANYONE! lol
Old 07-04-2005, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

no 100 can indeed hold your car. but when u put it on hold they should have gave u some sort of receipt.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Oh yeah I def got a receipt...it also says the $100 is refundable if anything changes my mind...

But do you think it's possible for one dealer to lie to me and say they'll get it in 7-10 days just to have my business?
Old 07-04-2005, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The dealers can do a few things, from what I can tell. With the way allocations work, they might be able to swap a car on their allocation list for one already on someone else's lot. That might happen. I think it sounds a bit funny that the dealer called someone up and asked "ow soon can I get an xB?" I don't know who he called, but it's not like he called the Japanese factory. Delivery time can take a week, which is just going from port to dealership.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

don't worry. it'll jus make you lose your hair.(and fingernails apparently). always assume they are both lying to you. most times they are. they just want your money. who can blame them? the have nothing better than the other guy really. the 7-10 days is probably accurate. i've had 2 friends order tacomas in the past month and they were told 2-4months and they already have them. one guy got his 2 weeks later. the other 3 weeks later. i imagine the first 2 were covering their bottoms and the last was pushing it. i say go with the 3rd guy and if it doesn't pan out, go to another dealer. make sure he knows he lost your business for good for lying. whatever you do don't let them make you think that they have something you want. it's exactly the opposite. you have the money. you can get a car anywhere. don't let them push you around and tell you you can't have what you want. money makes things happen and if they can't perform, it's not your problem. so stop worrying. in the meantime get a cheap mode of transportation(moped/motorcycle/beater car) or find a friend/family member that will loan you a spare car till you get your xB.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

Okay, here's the word from the inside. I'm not bullsh*&*%g you, I wouldn't do that.

The 7-10 thing is called a dealer trade. It goes like this. Dealer A has any old xB. Dealer B has the xB you want. Problem is that you're at Dealer A and Dealer B is over 200 miles away (usually at leas 100 miles away). Dealer A and B trade cars to give you what you want without having to order a whole new car from Scion.

The 2 month thing is simply a new car order. My region is telling me it will be about 30 days to get a new one from the factory, so maybe your region takes a little longer (you are further from Japan) or possibly the dealership didn't want to overpromise and disappoint you.

So, your cash is safe, you'll probably get the car you want around that 10 day mark, and the first dealer (the one you went back to) is being a little dumb in trashing on the other one. That's just bad business.

Is that clear? Sorry if I confused more than I helped.

If you have more questions, etc, feel free to PM me or email or whatever.

-Alex
Old 07-04-2005, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I've been trying to get an xB for about a week now. I called 14 dealerships in about a hundred mile radius. Most said that they should be getting a new shipment in about mid July and after that would be getting in 2006 models at the end of August / beginning of Sept.. Some of the dealers said that they probably wouldn't have any available until the 2006's came in. When I asked this second group why the other dealers were saying mid July they all said that any xB's that they get in have already been sold.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow. I'm glad I got mine when I did. There were autos on the lot at Dunning in ann arbor, and the manual I wanted was somewhere else (probably up where I used to live, since it had that many miles on it), and I got it in three days.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

If the nearest dealer with "the one he wants" @ 200 miles away..would he expect his new xB to have 200 miles on it for the delivery/swap from one dealer to the other?
Old 07-04-2005, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by rcstprez
If the nearest dealer with "the one he wants" @ 200 miles away..would he expect his new xB to have 200 miles on it for the delivery/swap from one dealer to the other?
No, every time I've seen a dealer trade done it has involved a trailer. We have a really nice aluminum flatbed for such occasions. Good question though.

-Alex
Old 07-04-2005, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rcstprez
that does happen......you gotta keep in mind that if someone drives to swap the car (a Dx person.... Dx = dealer trade) that person is getting paid anyway from 50 to 150 dollars depending on the trip.....a flat bed costs more...especially for that kind of distance...... the ground stock of xB's is just so lite right now....the best thing to do is find a dealer you like and give a deposit for them to try to order or find you the car you want.....the wait could be anyway from 1 day to 2 months..... I know that sucks if you want something right now,.... trust me we (dealers) would luv to have more cars....but we can only deal with what we have
Old 07-05-2005, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by HyperZ
I think it sounds a bit funny that the dealer called someone up and asked "ow soon can I get an xB?" I don't know who he called, but it's not like he called the Japanese factory..
Oh, no... lol, he called someone in the building. I think his manager or something. He said the guy who tells exactly delivery dates isn't there until tomorrow so that's why he's calling me then.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by grizzly_choppers
Okay, here's the word from the inside. I'm not bullsh*&*%g you, I wouldn't do that.

The 7-10 thing is called a dealer trade. It goes like this. Dealer A has any old xB. Dealer B has the xB you want. Problem is that you're at Dealer A and Dealer B is over 200 miles away (usually at leas 100 miles away). Dealer A and B trade cars to give you what you want without having to order a whole new car from Scion.

The 2 month thing is simply a new car order. My region is telling me it will be about 30 days to get a new one from the factory, so maybe your region takes a little longer (you are further from Japan) or possibly the dealership didn't want to overpromise and disappoint you.

So, your cash is safe, you'll probably get the car you want around that 10 day mark, and the first dealer (the one you went back to) is being a little dumb in trashing on the other one. That's just bad business.

Is that clear? Sorry if I confused more than I helped.

If you have more questions, etc, feel free to PM me or email or whatever.

-Alex
That totally makes sense... I hope he really is doing that whole trading-in thing. *crosses fingers*

I am SOOOO impatient, which sucks... So I'm dying waiting for it to come lol.

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2005, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by xlr8tC
don't worry. it'll jus make you lose your hair.(and fingernails apparently). always assume they are both lying to you. most times they are. they just want your money. who can blame them? the have nothing better than the other guy really. the 7-10 days is probably accurate. i've had 2 friends order tacomas in the past month and they were told 2-4months and they already have them. one guy got his 2 weeks later. the other 3 weeks later. i imagine the first 2 were covering their bottoms and the last was pushing it. i say go with the 3rd guy and if it doesn't pan out, go to another dealer. make sure he knows he lost your business for good for lying. whatever you do don't let them make you think that they have something you want. it's exactly the opposite. you have the money. you can get a car anywhere. don't let them push you around and tell you you can't have what you want. money makes things happen and if they can't perform, it's not your problem. so stop worrying. in the meantime get a cheap mode of transportation(moped/motorcycle/beater car) or find a friend/family member that will loan you a spare car till you get your xB.

Yeah, good point. I do seem a little desperate when I go, which is a terrible thing to do!

My gf is my mode of transportation for the time being. Well, her and my mother. God, I feel like I'm in high school again with my mom driving me places. Weird lol...

PS -- You have to order Tacomas too? I didn't know that...