First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Got T-boned, xB Totaled (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

man sorry to hear that glad to see your okay and alive. take care of yourself and hopefully you heal good. now time to start planning the box ver2.

Roydog
Old 10-21-2005, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default xB crash test results

I am very glad that you are alive, but sorry you are injured.

Your pictures show a lot of crash impact details as well as potential design flaws in the xB's door and side.

To confirm this, I found the crash test data on the 2006 Scion xB and was very disappointed. I was also surprised that the xA does better in a side impact. What's really frightening is the incredible amount of force exerted on the human occupants in an impact. No wonder you got hurt so badly.

Having responded to a few accidents, it's disturbing to see what happens to a car in a real world crash.
Knowing that the official crash tests are done in a control environment and at slower speeds than the real world, it really bothers that the xB may not be safe enough for me and my kid.

Unless I can engineer and install some additional side impact door beams and a mid unibody brace, I may be selling my xB and getting a Saturn VUE, which has a very good history of safety, high survivability, and low injuries.

I have included the crash test results on 2006 Scion xB and the 2005 Saturn VUE (for comparison).
In theory the xB should exert less force on it's occupants in a crash because it weighs less than the bigger, heavier Saturn VUE. Unfortunately this is not the case because the xB's femur-load in a crash is over 1000 lbs!

"Femur-load" typically means: lower-limb multiple compound fractures, femur (or thigh bone) multiple compound fractures, and/or pelvic fractures next to internal organs. The fix is typically complex metal jigs & screws through the bone, joining everything back together (if lucky).

Read on...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2006 Toyota Scion xB - Crash Ratings (on a 5 star scale)

FRONT IMPACT
Driver's Side **** (4 stars)
Passenger's Side ****

SIDE IMPACT
Driver's Side *** (3 stars)
Rear Occupant ****

Frontal.....................Head Injury Criterion......Chest Deceleration (g's).....Femur Load (lbs)
Driver's Side..............726 HIC.......................51g ....................................958lbs.....1427lbs (ouch!)
Passenger's Side......474 HIC.......................45g......................................626lbs.....524lbs

Side........................Thoracic Trauma Index (TTI).........Pelvis Deceleration (g's)
Front Occupant........74 TTI .......................................81g
Rear Occupant.........67 TTI........................................82g

http://www.automotive.com/2006/12/sc...ety/index.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2005 Saturn VUE - Crash Ratings (on a 5 star scale)

FRONT IMPACT
Driver's Side ***** (5 stars)
Passenger's Side *****

SIDE IMPACT
Front Occupant ***** (5 stars)
Rear Occupant *****

Frontal......................Head Injury Criterion.....Chest Deceleration (g's).....Femur Load (lbs)
Driver's Side..............233 HIC........................36g....................................210lbs....354lbs
Passenger's Side......284 HIC........................40g....................................584lbs....680lbs

Side......................Thoracic Trauma Index (TTI).......Pelvis Deceleration (g's)
Front Occupant.......46 TTI.....................................82g
Rear Occupant........46 TTI.....................................64g

http://www.automotive.com/2005/12/sa...ety/index.html
Old 10-21-2005, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How safe will the VUE be on back of a wrecker headed to the dealer to get fixed....again....?

The xB is pretty safe for a small car, but, damage is so hard to predict.. My wife had a '92 Bonneville and was wiped out by a Neon....
Old 10-21-2005, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by oldmanatee
How safe will the VUE be on back of a wrecker headed to the dealer to get fixed....again....?

The xB is pretty safe for a small car, but, damage is so hard to predict.. My wife had a '92 Bonneville and was wiped out by a Neon....
True, true.
However since they switched to the Honda engine and transmission I hear the reliability is supposed to be very good.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my xB.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When did they switch??? And most important, did they switch in the Red Line too?

I am just not sure of a plastic car, tho...
Old 10-21-2005, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

I would not hesitate to buy a new scion. In fact I am buying a new one very soon. I am confident it saved me from alot more injury. Maybe its just because I love the car too much to admit it hurt me, but I faired better than most would In that type of impact. Im am also a big guy, so a little cushion didnt hurt.

Have you driven a Saturn Vue Recently? My sister was looking for a new car, so I decided to help (although mostly I chanted "buy a scion but a scion"). We took a new Vue out on a drive, with the honda v6, and that engine is the only saving grace for the car. It was one of the bounciest, messiest (is that a word?)rides Ive been on in recent history. You hit a pothole in that truck and it doesnt stop bouncing for 5 minutes! well im exagerating but the ride sucks, all the switchgear felt like it would fall off if u touched it, the plastics were hard and creaky, seats felt like cardboard. there was a decent amount of cargo space, though.

Not to knock your decisions, I had it in for it the second we walked into the dealership. My friends father has one and swears by it. It has its place for familys and such. Just too loose for my liking. honestly if I had more than one kid, I wouldnt be driving a scion. But im 20 and the only whining in my car was my girlfriend complaining about my exhuast.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:06 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Vehicle and occupant damage is oftentimes very strange, and doesn't follow the 'expected' results.

In 1974 my wife and I were in a head-on crash with a car that crossed the centerline into our lane.

Neither of us were injured and the driver of the other car had only minor bruising. We drove our car to the shop for repairs, the other had to be towed because the front of the engine went through the radiator.

THe 'other car' was a 1960 Ford Galaxy and ours was a 1972 Honda Z600 (http://tijil.org/gallery/v/Z600.jpg....geViewsIndex=1)

We were amazed - we didn't expect a tiny 600cc air-cooled car to beat up a big Detroit chrome barge, but it came through for us.

Note that even in the laboratory controlled crash tests the side-to-side differences within both examples above are nearly 2:1... Very odd.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm really glad you are kinda OK! make sure you document everything!! medical and such. Oh and take everything off your car you can that was a add on. You can switch out the wheels with your stocks. At least you can sell off the extras for some cash. My husband just had a white xb in his shop that was rear ended by a dump truck at about 45 mph. It crumpled and was a total but the passengers were OK. I think it is a safe car but could use side curtain airbags
Old 10-21-2005, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Glad to hear your ok... You can always get a new car but not a new life.. if it wasnt your fault... big money coming your way
Old 10-21-2005, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

Holy ____! I can't believe how the xB held up, how fast was the galant goin?
Old 10-21-2005, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

by my estimates, 40-45 mph, judging by how far I got pushed down the street. I really appreciate everybodys concern, its been great!
Old 10-21-2005, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by joe52985
. . .Have you driven a Saturn Vue Recently? My sister was looking for a new car, so I decided to help (although mostly I chanted "buy a scion but a scion"). We took a new Vue out on a drive, with the honda v6, and that engine is the only saving grace for the car. It was one of the bounciest, messiest (is that a word?)rides Ive been on in recent history. You hit a pothole in that truck and it doesnt stop bouncing for 5 minutes! well im exagerating but the ride sucks, all the switchgear felt like it would fall off if u touched it, the plastics were hard and creaky, seats felt like cardboard. there was a decent amount of cargo space, though. . .
Nope haven't test drove one yet. The only reason I mentioned the Saturn VUE was the history of crash protection. I think I'll stick with Toyota products anyways.
:D
Old 10-21-2005, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

thanks for the support guys. the other kid doesnt have insurance (i have uninsured motorist thank god) and had 5 accidents on his record in the past year! He was arrested at the scene for dirving without a license, but later released because his mommy furnished records it was reinstated THAT DAY. My hip is royally screwed up and some of my toes are numb, along with my left "cheek" Ill find out tommorow if its totalled or not, which i hope it is because I dont wanna pay for a new car fr another 5 years with 9k in damage. I have a couple of appointments with lawyers, and my chiropracter released me from work for a while. gonna go see neurologist next week. I appologize for the grammer but I am on lots of pain killers and muscle relaxers. I appreciate you guys being so concerned and I will update you on the situation!!! but now the question, which color should I buy my 06 xB in! I want a moonroof lol

edit: Im confident that if i was wearing my seatbelt, I would have been hurt alot more because I would have stayed in that one spot I got hit instead of getting hit and bouncing the other way
And for this reason, I hope you had GAP coverage.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

by my estimates, 40-45 mph, judging by how far I got pushed down the street. I really appreciate everybodys concern, its been great!
I'm glad your alright, i feel safer in my xB now.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just read this post, Glad to hear that your okay and glad your gettin a replacement. I feel your pain, I've gotten into a wreck with my xb last year, two months later after purchasing it and at only 2k on the odo. Mine was a front impact collision. A Ford pickup made a left turn, failed to yeild and I slamed on to his right side at 45mph, flipping his truck on it's side!! I'm suprise that the only thing a felt was the airbag hitting my forearms, BTW I was wearing seatbelts. The car to the beating lol.

I'm glad and was hoping at the time that the insurance will declared it totaled. I've gotten another xb later. However this all to 4 months of hell, dealing with the guy's insurance, trying not to shortcut the claim.